Waking during night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TEACH33

Waking during night

Post by TEACH33 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:48 am

I have been using my CPAP machine for a little more than 6 weeks. I think my sleep is better when I am asleep, but I still wake a couple of times during the evening. Prior to CPAP I'd wake every 2 hours like clock work, now it isn't quite the same pattern but I might wake twice during the night and they are two hours apart. I am seeing the doc this coming Friday for the first time since starting therapy. Is this normal? Should I be asking for a different setting?

JohnBFisher

Re: Waking during night

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:07 pm

TEACH33 wrote:I have been using my CPAP machine for a little more than 6 weeks. I think my sleep is better when I am asleep, but I still wake a couple of times during the evening. Prior to CPAP I'd wake every 2 hours like clock work, now it isn't quite the same pattern but I might wake twice during the night and they are two hours apart. I am seeing the doc this coming Friday for the first time since starting therapy. Is this normal? Should I be asking for a different setting?
Waking periodically throughout the night is normal as we age ... but it might indicate you are having apneas (such as during REM sleep) .. so do discuss it with your doctor.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:25 pm

TEACH33 wrote:I have been using my CPAP machine for a little more than 6 weeks. I think my sleep is better when I am asleep, but I still wake a couple of times during the evening. Prior to CPAP I'd wake every 2 hours like clock work, now it isn't quite the same pattern but I might wake twice during the night and they are two hours apart. I am seeing the doc this coming Friday for the first time since starting therapy. Is this normal? Should I be asking for a different setting?
That's a good start!
Last edited by LSAT on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm

I woke up 3-4 times a night before cpap. After starting cpap, took me 3-4 months before reduced to 1-2, another 3-4 more months to sleep the night. Now, after 26+ months, still get up once a night. Bring up to your doctor...but I wouldn't be too worried at this point. You've only started your journey...

dnrperez

Post by dnrperez » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm

I had and still have that problem - they diagnoised as chronic insomina. With the CPAP it has gotten better, but I still wake up at night. I take 3mg of melatonin every night before bedtime to help me get to sleep, but havent found anything to keep me asleep. I have tried all the Rx meds without any luck. I adjusted my sleeping enviroment to DARK(using black out curtains, cool, and have a ceiling fan that move an absurb amount of air) with all the additions it does help, but its a trial and error process.

Good luck

"Its not a matter of IF,
But who, when and where..." - Unk

art155

Post by art155 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:30 pm

dnrperez wrote:I had and still have that problem - they diagnoised as chronic insomina. With the CPAP it has gotten better, but I still wake up at night. I take 3mg of melatonin every night before bedtime to help me get to sleep, but havent found anything to keep me asleep. I have tried all the Rx meds without any luck. I adjusted my sleeping enviroment to DARK(using black out curtains, cool, and have a ceiling fan that move an absurb amount of air) with all the additions it does help, but its a trial and error process.
Try 1 mg sublingual melatonin to initiate sleep, plus 2 mg slow release melatonin to keep you asleep. That pretty much guarantees I get at least 6 hours of sleep.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:36 pm

CPAP as pretty much cut out my waking during the night. I love it!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:25 pm

I usually get up once during the night. Night before last I was stupid, I decided to have some chips about 7:30, last night at 9:30 i decided I needed a glass of choc milk........both nights I was up about 4 times...I should know better . Reminder to self: NO snacks after dinner!!!!!!!
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

ssnacks and something to drink should be kept to a minimum before bed. We get used to waking up and when we do we go to the washroom. So don't give yourself any other reasons to get up.

SleepySydney

Post by SleepySydney » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I dont wake up if my dog doesn't wake up.

But she likes squeaky toys in the middle of the night. Either that or jumping on the bed.