6-week delay for CPAP titration?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VikingGnome

6-week delay for CPAP titration?

Post by VikingGnome » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 pm

My sister had the first night of her sleep study last night. Their next available appointment for CPAP titration is SIX weeks. Her OSA is considered "mild" according to tech but she has life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias during sleep. How can they justify delaying treatment that long. She has an implanted defibrillator but her heart doc doesn't want it to go off. She's had two close calls in the past month about 4 AM. When I had my study the first time, I came back the next night for titration.

How long did you have to wait for titration after diagnostic sleep study?

DrPepper00

Re: 6-week delay for CPAP titration?

Post by DrPepper00 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:05 pm

I had to wait 4 weeks. They had the option of doing a split night study, but my O2 dropped so low within the first 2 hrs that they put me on O2 instead. Then sent me home without a machine. I borrowed a machine and used it until I got the titration and machine. It was quite a coincidence that the machine I borrowed was a bipap set at the same pressures as my titration set.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 pm

I had to wait 3 weeks for the titration study. I used the waiting time to read, read and read some more so that I was fully prepared. Still didn't sleep well but they got close. So I was well armed and ready for bear when the Dme chosen as number one...try to bully me...and you all that know me...know that won't work so great. I get real mad and then I get even. So I fired them and chose one in another town 15 miles away who talk to me like a have some brains.

If she can't get on a cancellation list and in any sooner...use the time to gain the education that is needed to understand all this stuff and how to deal with DMEs who want to treat us like nincompoops.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:13 am

I had a month wait unless I would travel to a satelitte clinic then it was cut to a week wait. I took the closest appointment. When my son-in-law had his sleep study his was over a month wait as well for the titration.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 am

Do you have a spare machine or know someone that does.......make sure its an auto so that you can put her on a wide range of pressure.
Actually I'll bet if her heart doctor called the sleep clinic, she would be in for her titration the next day.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Jason7

Post by Jason7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:34 am

If you haven't already done the following, be as pro-active as you can:
1 -- contact cardiologist to at least notify him and see if he can help in any way, e.g., contact medical director of clinic
2 -- as Pugsy says, get on cancellation list, but also tell them it's OK to notify your sister in the evening if someone just doesn't show up (if your sister is able to do this in short notice).
3 -- investigate if there is another good clinic that's within a reasonable travel distance
Jason

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:08 am

I waited about one month. I saw the sleep doc in between the diagnostic test and the titration test. And I couldn't talk him into agreeing to prescribe a full efficacy data machine. So I put that time to good use investigating DMEs and equipment. That "delay" is the main reason I didn't get stuck with a brick.

BasementDwellingGeek

Post by BasementDwellingGeek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:32 am

Where I had mine I was told the usual delay is 6 weeks. I was fast tracked at two weeks due to high AHI and desats in the 60s. There was an opportunity earlier, due to some one cancelling, but I couldn't make it. Be prepared to jump when the phone rings.

bdg
(PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and related humidifier as backup)

There are two types of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 am

I didn't have to wait long at all.
I think youve gotten some good suggestions. Have the cardiologist call,
get on a cancellations list. If you can go at the last minute if someone doesn't show up, tell them that.
Investigate other clinics. See if the doc will prescribe a loaner AUTO machine while you wait.
Speak to the office manager about the cancellation list and if you can come in if someone else doesn't. Explain the situation about the heart to her and tell her you're scared. Beg to get in early. Good luck.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

I went in knowing NOTHING and you do not want to do that. My triation was about a week after I saw my doc after the sleep study. I would try all of the above suggestions for getting in sooner and do research! An informed patient has much better odds of getting good treatment! Good luck!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 am

Education!
Here!
Free!
Might save her life.

macewa

Post by macewa » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 am

It took me 3 months to go through the process. first month they did an initial interview, a month later they did the sleep study and a month later did the tritation. In the meantime I was put on 2L of oxygen because of my tendendy to have destats in high 60s. Actually, it seemed stupid to me that one had to go that long to get the end result. I know someone here that went to another city and had everything done in 2 days. Go figure.

Good Luck. I'd have your sister get hold of her cardiologist and have him call and move things up asap.

VikingGnome wrote: How long did you have to wait for titration after diagnostic sleep study?

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Giving a patient Oxygen is totally stupid if the patient has OSA. Patient can't breathe in the O2. They first gave my 87-year-old mother oxygen for bedtime. That was a total failure because her apnea was so bad. They finally gave CPAP and what a difference. She stopped napping during the day, could watch an entire movie, and didn't fall asleep when I talked to her on the phone.

Anyone that prescribes O2 alone to a OSA patient doesn't have a clear understanding of OSA. My AHI was 66 on my recent sleep study. That means I stopped breathing for at least 10 seconds (sometimes up to 40 seconds) EVERY SINGLE MINUTE. What good would oxygen be if I'm not breathing most of the time?