O2 sat test question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sparky223

O2 sat test question

Post by Sparky223 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:41 pm

I am using a APAP machine. Couple nights ago my doc sent me home with an O2 sat machine to wear overnight. Test came back that I was at 88%. Doc says thats to low. He said my neck is to thick and it is still cutting off my air flow. Now I know I need to lose weight, but is there anything else I can do?

NightMonkey

Re: O2 sat test question

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 pm

I bet that idiot doc's skull is too thick.

Are you using the software and checking your data on a regular basis? If so, what does it show? If not using the software, you need to get started. Know how?

BTW, what are your pressure settings?
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 pm

I was using the software, but Apria took my SD card to do a compliance check. My numbers before were pretty good. Usually around 1.8 AHI with no major leaks. Guess I need a new card. My machine is the adjustable one.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:52 pm

What are your pressure settings?
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Sparky223 wrote:... Couple nights ago my doc sent me home with an O2 sat machine to wear overnight. Test came back that I was at 88%. Doc says thats too low. ...
Yes, 88 or below is definitely too low.
Sparky223 wrote:... He said my neck is to thick and it is still cutting off my air flow. Now I know I need to lose weight, but is there anything else I can do? ...
Possibly find a new doctor if he won't do anything else to address the problem. If you continuously have a low AHI value, but have a low O2 level it might be indicative of other problems. If he will do nothing other than tell you to loose weight, then find another doctor. And yes, the weight CAN restrict your breathing. However, there are options that can help (such as the AVAPS unit and the use of supplemental oxygen).

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... avaps.html

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

apnea2142

Post by apnea2142 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm

at what point do you get brain damage permanently? I was down to 72 O2 on my study and I've been having memory problems and can't think fast or clearly. I think headaches are also a sign of low O2.
I don't understand suddenly I started to wake up feeling hazy and tired a few years ago and nothing has cured it.
on Dr. Park's site there are all these interviews and it seems that you do get brain damage from sleep apnea

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:29 pm

NightMonkey wrote:What are your pressure settings?
9 to 20

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:10 am

You need to use the software with the daily reports, you need to see the daily leak rates not just the large leaks and you AHI numbers. If the leak rate is too high the numbers data will be faulty. also your pressure range need to be closer a 4cm pange is better starting 1 cm under your 95% number. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 am

Goofproof wrote:You need to use the software with the daily reports, you need to see the daily leak rates not just the large leaks and you AHI numbers. If the leak rate is too high the numbers data will be faulty. also your pressure range need to be closer a 4cm pange is better starting 1 cm under your 95% number. Jim

Yes. It deserves repeating, you need to use the software and look at the daily detail reports. You can get help here in using the software and interpreting the reports. Just ask.

BTW, desats at night will make it very difficult to lose weight because of hormonal disturbances (gherlin and leptin) and they contributed to weight gain. The desats need to be resolved.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 am

Anything below the low 90's could be an issue. People get very odd when its lower.
I've got a Sp02 kit for the s9 but the thing cost me a small fortune even at a 1/3 or less of normal price. A few of us on the list are looking at ways to reduce that cost because I think its very important to know how low that goes and I think its far more useful than the AHI number.

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 am

How much is a new card? I am unemployed right now and don't have alot of funds.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 am

Sparky223 wrote:How much is a new card? I am unemployed right now and don't have alot of funds.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wintec-Filema ... r/15074268
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

NightMonkey wrote:
Sparky223 wrote:How much is a new card? I am unemployed right now and don't have alot of funds.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wintec-Filema ... r/15074268
Sweet. Thanks

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzz... » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:22 am

I too had an overnight oximetry study done last week. I woke up pretty often that night and checked the data and Sp02 was always around 97/98. I know that's not an accurate overall result because I wasn't sleeping, however this is what I found out from the overall data the next day.

Lowest 02 saturation was 85%
Below 88% for 20 sec desat at 11:30 PM

I'm not sure I was asleep at the time. Possibly awake and simply breathing very shallowly or holding my breath during transition. Is this result cause for concern?

I'm going in for a titration in a couple weeks. Was never titrated during my initial sleep study and have been set a 9cm/1EPR on my S9 for some time now with a lot of variation in my AHI... from what I believe to be sleep hygiene issues. I can usually get my AHI under 5.

Thanks,

B

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I have a new card coming in the mail, but one thing is making me curious. checking my machine it tells me that my average pressure has changed. It usually averaged 13, but now is about 15.5