New machine, new numbers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stratman

New machine, new numbers

Post by Stratman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:16 pm

I just got my new S9 Autoset yesterday.

I been running an S8 Autoset for the past few years with AHI Events between 4 and 5.

First night on the S9 I got a 1.32 AHI.

I wonder if it was just an extra good night (although I never had a number below 3.0 AHI with the S8).

Setup is the same. Both machines running in plain CPAP mode at 12cm H20. Same mask, same bed, same pillow, same wife.

I wonder if anyone else experience lower AHI numbers with the S9 over the S8???
Tom...........

ems

Re: New machine, new numbers

Post by ems » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Stratman wrote:Setup is the same. Both machines running in plain CPAP mode at 12cm H20. Same mask, same bed, same pillow, same wife.
"same wife"... loved that... thanks for the laugh!

I've read here that different/newer machines show different readings. Hey... I would be happy to see such a low AHI and 'forgit' about it.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Stratman wrote:I been running an S8 Autoset for the past few years with AHI Events between 4 and 5. First night on the S9 I got a 1.32 AHI.
Hi,

The S8 tends to over-score hypos by a factor of two. The normal formula for AHI is:

( total # hypos + total # A events ) / hours of sleep

For the S8, you can cut the number of hypos in half, then do the formula. Your real world AHI was probably in the 2 to 2.5 range, but that is somewhat of a guess without seeing your numbers. At any rate, 1.32 on the S9 is fantastic. How do you feel today?

-john-

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:17 pm

ems wrote:
Stratman wrote:Setup is the same. Both machines running in plain CPAP mode at 12cm H20. Same mask, same bed, same pillow, same wife.
"same wife"... loved that... thanks for the laugh!

I've read here that different/newer machines show different readings. Hey... I would be happy to see such a low AHI and 'forgit' about it.
I figured I would put the part about the "same wife" in there to see if anybody read it. I have been real happy with the results. I had a recent sleep study done because my number were creeping into the 5 to 10 range and the sleep study suggested bumping my pressure up from 9 to 12cm. That made a big difference for me.

Life is good.........
Tom...........

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:21 pm

John,

Thanks for the info on the S8 and hypo"s. I tend to have several hypopneas and maybe one Apnea in a typical night. I will go back and check the math on how the S8 does the calculations.

Anyway with the new S9 and the change in CPAP pressure I am feeling great.

The biggest thing is just feeling better during the day.
Tom...........

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Jweeks is right, the S8 scores hypopneas VERY aggressively...

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

shb

Post by shb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:28 am

A good comparison. I have been using the S8 auto since late 2005. And have just 2 nights on the S9 auto.

Note: for me a different wife has been installed (though I don't think that is making any difference to the sleep).

On the S8 my AHI score was usually around 4.-0 - 6.0 . And usually just 0 to 4 apneas the rest where hypopneas.

Both nights so far on the S9 have had an AHI under 0.3 - and both nights have reported 0 apneas 0 hyponeas and 2 centrals.

I agree that it sounds right that the S8 over reported the hypopneas - but I also gotta report that last 2 mornings I've sprung out of bed like superman feeling like a million dollars.. Again - further testing required to determine if the morning feeling also has any relationship to the change in wife. It is early days - but I am giving credit to the S9.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 am

The big question is how do you feel? If you feel better great, it doesn't matter if it is actually a difference or placebo effect as long as you feel better.

I just got a new machine went from an old Auto BiPap to a new one and the pressures that my new maching went up to were much higher than the old machine. This is day #3 on the new maching, same difference in numbers but I practically jumped up out of bed. I even had enough energy and courage to run four miles yesterday instead of walking.

Yes, I have always watched the numbers as have both of my Doctors but I usually forget about how I feel after a while and just look at the numbers. My Doctor recently asked me about my numbers and asked me to have the machine checked. I have been extremely tired for several months and have not been able to lose any weight that I put on.

Gerry