I hate CPAP.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: I hate CPAP.

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Noctuary. wrote:If I could scrape up $500, would that be enough for a better machine? Would I need another prescription?
You have a S9 Escape Auto...while it doesn't have much data available ...it does have AHI available....what does the machine say your AHI is/was/has been?

You can get a full data S9 Elite or Autoset and continue using the existing humidifier with it to save having to buy another humidifier for a different brand or model.

A prescription for a cpap machine will let you get any cpap or apap machine you want.
And if you buy privately...no RX is needed at all.

Secondwindcpap.com has some gently used low hour machines available.
I see a S9 Elite (fixed cpap full data) for $369 and it will work with your existing humidifier.
They are also showing a S9 AutoSet (full data) for $479 and it will work with your existing humidifier. I just now looked.

I don't know of any forum members that have a S9 Elite or AutoSet right now but I may have forgotten one.
I did see where someone has a low hour S9 VPAP Auto with humidifier for $375 delivered within the US.
It's on the first or second page of the forum. While probably more machine than you need in terms of what it will do...it can be configured to work/function just like what you are using now.
I do know a couple of forum members who may still have gently used PR System One APAP machines available...I don't remember prices.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Noctuary. wrote:If I could scrape up $500, would that be enough for a better machine? Would I need another prescription?

I would still probably have to get another laptop; Sleepy Head just kept crashing on my present one.
Contact the forum member STL Mark or secondwindcpap.com and check out their deals.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:48 pm

You have already gotten good advice about cpap.com, where you can see what good prices for brand new machines are, and secondwindcpap.com which will show you what used machines sold with a warranty go for.

If you can afford to wait, the cheapest prices are on craigslist. But, and it's a very BIG but, it requires patience and lots of care and checking. You will have to research and be patient because 90% of the machines on craigslist are way overpriced due to the inflated DME/list prices. And you need to worry about whether it was used by a smoker or not.

I was lucky to get a PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex locally for only $100 on craigslist with only 95 blower hours on it, but such deals are, unfortunately, rare. The owner had gotten a new machine through his insurance and had no need for the one I bought. Having access to the data makes a huge difference in evaluating your therapy.

Noctuary.

Post by Noctuary. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:56 pm

You have a S9 Escape Auto...while it doesn't have much data available ...it does have AHI available....what does the machine say your AHI is/was/has been?
I can't get to it right now, but in almost 11 months my AHI has only been above 5 twice, and then not much. I think the highest IIRC was 7.

My daily AHI is usually about 2 or 3.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:17 pm

The bad thing if your leaks are bad, so is any data collected. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Noctuary. wrote:I can't get to it right now, but in almost 11 months my AHI has only been above 5 twice, and then not much. I think the highest IIRC was 7.

My daily AHI is usually about 2 or 3.
How about you start a new thread and copy these questions below along with your answers and let's get you out of this old thread where things are lost and hard to find....

Unless you are having some massive leaks I don't know that the answer to your questions and feeling so bad can be found in a full data machine but it wouldn't be impossible for a person to have massive leaks and not know it.

SleepyHead crashes with your S9 Escape Auto because it is not compatible with that model machine. You don't need a new computer...you need either ResScan or a full data S9.

Some questions that need to be answered no matter what machine you are using....please take the time to answer each one as I don't ask them if I don't think they are important.

1....I know you are on some meds...can you please tell us exactly the names and dosages and why they are being taken? If you want to do it privately send me a PM.

2...What is "feel like shit"? I mean what symptoms are you having that are unwanted? Is it fatigue? Is it being excessively sleepy all day? Fatigue and being sleepy aren't the same thing.

3...How many hours of sleep are you getting and do you wake up often during those hours?

4...Any other physical or mental health issues going on that can either impact sleep quality or how a person feels in general during the day?

So please take the time to start a new thread and include the above questions and your responses in that thread.
It will help us help you better.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:07 am

I would still probably have to get another laptop; Sleepy Head just kept crashing on my present one.

I bought my backup Resmed S9 autoset with brand new hose for $200 via craigslist. Check your local craigslist every day. I usually see a few good deals every month for machines I am familiar with.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Post by 134 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 pm

I guess I'm very lucky as I never had the first issue when I began using my cpap machine 6 years ago. I took to it like a fish in water and now I CAN'T sleep without it.

For me I have no problem putting on my mask, turning on my machine and going to sleep.

I currently use:
Machine - ResMed Escape
Nasal mask - Mirage Activa LT

Here are my numbers:

Total hours on machine: 16,200
Used it 2089 out of 2091 nights. Of the nights I didn't use it I went out of town and forgot my power cord.

I'm sure there are some; however, I doubt there are too many who have better compliance numbers that me.

Jesus is Lord!

Margaret Visciglio

Post by Margaret Visciglio » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

I hate CPAP because it is a scam. I have been pushed and coerced into have a sleep study which was bad enough and they said it was positive. I took a sleeping pill the night I was in the lab and apparently (I discovered later) sleeping pills make the apnea appear worse. So tonight I am being forced to have a repeat performance this time with the dreaded mask. I have been drinking coffee all day and intend to stay awake and stuff their stupid study up. Also, if I can manage to vomit on their bed/device, I will do so. The doctors get a great kick back from Resmed and Resmed push their machines to the credulous elderly. Well, I am not a fool. I have no symptoms of daytime sleepiness, headache or whatever. The only time I fall asleep is during lectures on astrophysics and half the lecture theatre is asleep too. I will not buy a machine and the doctors can go jump in the lake. I only wish I had not allowed them to push me this far. But thus far and no further!

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Margret : ... why are you hear ... just to vent ... or are you looking for information and help?
If it is the latter WELCOME ... and you can do some reading through the posts at the top of the page. There is a lot of information there for the taking.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Margaret Visciglio wrote:I hate CPAP because it is a scam. I have been pushed and coerced into have a sleep study which was bad enough and they said it was positive. I took a sleeping pill the night I was in the lab and apparently (I discovered later) sleeping pills make the apnea appear worse. So tonight I am being forced to have a repeat performance this time with the dreaded mask. I have been drinking coffee all day and intend to stay awake and stuff their stupid study up. Also, if I can manage to vomit on their bed/device, I will do so. The doctors get a great kick back from Resmed and Resmed push their machines to the credulous elderly. Well, I am not a fool. I have no symptoms of daytime sleepiness, headache or whatever. The only time I fall asleep is during lectures on astrophysics and half the lecture theatre is asleep too. I will not buy a machine and the doctors can go jump in the lake. I only wish I had not allowed them to push me this far. But thus far and no further!
Hello Margaret,

I am sorry to read that you feel so negative about CPAP before you have even begun treatment for possible OSA. Yes, it is true that sleeping sedatives can make you sleep deeper and therefore, you may have more detectable apnea/hypopnea events. I'm guessing your tactic of coffee drinking is working somewhat, as you posted your note at what appears to be 1:57 a.m.; my question here however is: surely you do realize your room at the sleep lab is loaded with cameras, and your lab technician is watching your every move, including your posting and surfing on the internet right now?

Another word of advice? The vomiting is more likely to hurt you more than them, since you're most likely wearing a full face mask for the night

No one can MAKE you WANT to save your own life; it is still your choice. Happy Titration Day

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:38 am

Margaret Visciglio wrote:I hate CPAP because it is a scam. I have been pushed and coerced into have a sleep study which was bad enough and they said it was positive. I took a sleeping pill the night I was in the lab and apparently (I discovered later) sleeping pills make the apnea appear worse. So tonight I am being forced to have a repeat performance this time with the dreaded mask. I have been drinking coffee all day and intend to stay awake and stuff their stupid study up. Also, if I can manage to vomit on their bed/device, I will do so. The doctors get a great kick back from Resmed and Resmed push their machines to the credulous elderly. Well, I am not a fool. I have no symptoms of daytime sleepiness, headache or whatever. The only time I fall asleep is during lectures on astrophysics and half the lecture theatre is asleep too. I will not buy a machine and the doctors can go jump in the lake. I only wish I had not allowed them to push me this far. But thus far and no further!
Margaret,

I am very skeptical of many medical treatments but I assure you that being prescribed a cpap machine is not a scam. The sleep techs have hard core data that shows whether or not you need the machine.

I totally understand your anger but now the question is what you are you going to do about? If you are diagnosed with apnea and choose not to take any action, things will get worse. And no, I am not trying to scare you as I am simply speaking the truth.

This board is great for helping you adjust to your therapy. So if you have problems, people will help you.

If you feel the thought of pap therapy is extremely depressing, then look into dental devices. But don't ignore being diagnosed with apnea.

Good luck to you.

49er

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 am

Hello Margaret
I partially agree with what you have to say, but only "I hate CPAP' part.... I don't think anyone "likes" having to wear a cpap machine. Note I said wear......... but what I do like and would never "hate" is the fact that it is keeping me alive, I get to see my great-grandson every day, and revel in the funny things he does and is learning to say. I got to see my granddaughter standing at the altar in her lovely white gown, I got to see my son come home from the middle east (in one piece) after having to worry about him while he was over there for 8 months deployment. I get to get out of bed every morning and laugh at myself when I say " wow I made it, I'm on the green side of the grass again"
No we do not like the fact that we are tethered to a machine every night, all night, but we do LOVE the fact that it is keeping us alive and not having another heart attack or diabetes .. and NO IT IS NOT A SCAM, as you think. There are many of us here that have had heart attacks or diabetes and a myriad of other ailments, but we are happy that this machine is keeping those terrible illnesses at bay and allowing us to live longer.
Just think a minute, if you have an apnea index of say 28...... that means you have had an apnea 28 times per hour for about 10 seconds EACH.. you figure it out ... how much sleep are you missing and most of all how much oxygen are you NOT getting each and every hour in an 8 hour night. That oxygen depravation is starving your brain and organs of life and slowly dying............................................
You have gone this far as to go for a sleep study, so you must think something is up with your health. My advice to you is to continue the journey and find out just what its all about. Read here on the forum and I guarantee you it will open your eyes and you will learn that you do need to be tethered to a cpap machine to live a long and prosperous life breathing clean filtered air each and every night.
If you decide to stay I say WELCOME, if not please REST IN PEACE.
Cheers... of my soap box now.
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:21 am

I was initally angry also a natural reaction to being forced into something. I was required to have a sleep test for work. I always slept soundly on my stomach and even during my test I slept on my stomach because I knew I didn't have SA. Well, I don't know what symptoms you are thinking about but many of the things CPAP has improved for me I also didn't connect them to SA. I would wake up in the morning very weak and was tired just getting dressed. Well, I was getting older. I would have night time reflux, up to the bathroom at least once, and my heart would beat irregular when I tried to go to sleep. I thought I was a night owl because I would stay up until 2 - 3 AM until I was exhausted. Otherwise I would lay in bed a long time before falling asleep. None of these I connected to Sleep Apnea.

The problems with symptoms is sometimes the damage is done before we have them. My mother had CHF, stroke, A-Fib, diabetes and definitely snored but we never connected the dots.

I no longer have the problems I mentioned above, I've cut my diabetes medicine in half, and my blood pressure is stable.
So if you have Sleep Apnea the damage will be done and the symptoms will occur. The question is will you get treatment while you can prevent damage. I hope you give it your best.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:06 pm

When I was diagnosed with apnea, I was RELIEVED that I did not need surgery or strong, expensive drugs;
Just a sci-fi getup to wear at night. NO BIGGIE!
A little mild bondage in exchange for better sleep, a sharper mind, and more birthdays.
Sorry the idea seems so disagreeable now; but keep an open mind.