I hate CPAP.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: I hate CPAP.

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:04 am

Jilly wrote:Wow, most comments here have simply made this journey more unbearable! Try so much air forced into the gut that you are doubled over in pain all night and tell me how you just suck it up and deal with it! After two weeks of sucking it up doubled over in pain, getting severe acid reflux which was never an issue prior to the machine, no sleep and a doctor who simply says, "Well then you aren't a candidate for this treatment" and that's that I am appalled at the insensitivity of the comments here. Fortunately I am pursuing treatment with an oral appliance. It is slow going, it hurts, causes mio facial pain but at least allows me to get a few hours sleep. I get treating this disease is a necessity but I don't get lack of compassion. How do you find your comments to be helpful or supportive? You would be the last people I would call for help or suggestions. I am sincerely pleased many of you have found a way to deal with your machines and wish it was an answer for all cases of sleep apnea but it just isn't! To the original poster: give it time and see if you can manage, if not please keep looking for alternatives to help you. Don't give up and don't feel you are just a complainer if you need support or alternatives to improve your odds of coping with this miserable disease!
These posts are from 3 years ago, so the original poster is long gone. Unfortunately, CPAP is difficult for many people to get used to, both the physical aspects and the idea of using it every night long term. So, we get a lot of people who really don't want help, but affirmation that they can quit. While I do think it is good to be rude to people, it can sometimes take some serious responses to help somebody pull out of their denial and get serious about using cpap. As hard as it, most problems can be overcome, and the results really are a great improvement.

I do hope you stuck around, ask questions, and learn to make your cpap work. The results with cpap are way better than the oral devices. Unless you are in the mild category, even "successful" treatment with an oral device will still leave you with sleep apnea. The good news is that the issues you are having can be eliminated with some tweaking of your settings. Most doctors are pretty clueless about how to make useful adjustments. They just know how to prescribe the machine, not how to use it. The people here CAN help you find the settings that will work for YOU.

If you would like to give it a try, let us know what machine and mask you are using, what settings you currently have. Pressure, relief, ramp, etc. If your machine has data, we can show you how to see that data and make changes based on that data.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 am

I wish I had the OPs woes. I don't mind the therapy at all; I just wish I didn't feel like shit everday. 11 months now.

Mask: Flexifit 407

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:23 am

I'm only coming up on 30 days with mine and still pretty much feel like the same crap every morning as I did before I started. Trying to hang in there and give it time, but it is a pain.
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:34 pm

LibbyLou wrote:I'm only coming up on 30 days with mine and still pretty much feel like the same crap every morning as I did before I started. Trying to hang in there and give it time, but it is a pain.
If you had a data-capable machine and could use software to monitor your therapy, you might know WHY you feel that way every morning.
Could be you're leaking your therapy air out your mouth at night (you have a nasal mask). Or, maybe your therapy pressure is not optimized.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

CPAP survivor

Post by CPAP survivor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Yep, I can understand the feeling of hate, the feeling of being dependent on an artificial instrument to enable sleep. I can understand the wish to blow off a lot of steam, nowadays experts tell you to talk to people about problems, open up, let your emotions out. From your comments it's very clear you hate it, from the other responses so do the other sufferers, nobody likes it, some people will grit the teeth and tough it out, others try to satisfy themselves by looking at the benefits. I noticed approx 12,500 people have read your comment within a few hours, that tells you how many people relate to your feelings. I try to overcome my negative feelings by remembering the bads heads the I use to have and the severe suffering that I use to encounter before cPAP, there are thousands of people that are suffering from cancer that would love to be able to put a mask on and make things ok, thats how I try to mentally accept the future, sure I would love to just jump into bed, turn over and go to sleep. C'est la vie. Try set goals to try and improve the different discomforts and eventually you will become less dissatisfied, best of luck

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 pm

CPAP survivor wrote:I noticed approx 12,500 people have read your comment within a few hours,
Incorrect...original comments were made April 15, 2012....not today April 15, 2015.
3 years worth of people viewing this particular thread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
CPAP survivor wrote:I noticed approx 12,500 people have read your comment within a few hours,
Incorrect...original comments were made April 15, 2012....not today April 15, 2015.
You beat me to it.......

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
You beat me to it.......
and there's no indication of how many of those 12,500 people were busy looking for the cheese tray.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:45 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
You beat me to it.......
and there's no indication of how many of those 12,500 people were busy looking for the cheese tray.
Wait...there's a CHEESE TRAY??

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Noctuary wrote:I wish I had the OPs woes. I don't mind the therapy at all; I just wish I didn't feel like shit everday. 11 months now.
Without a machine that records full data and the software to read it, and your APAP set to the failure setting range. I doubt if you will be feeling better.

Without a steering wheel, your car would be hard to drive too! Jim

Still looking for that Cheese Tray, although after three years, it's probably moldy!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LibbyLou

Post by LibbyLou » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Wulfman... wrote: If you had a data-capable machine and could use software to monitor your therapy, you might know WHY you feel that way every morning.
Could be you're leaking your therapy air out your mouth at night (you have a nasal mask). Or, maybe your therapy pressure is not optimized.
I will finally be trading up to a data-capable one next week, so then I might figure something out! Hopefully.
You should always waste time when you don't have any. Time is not the boss of you. Rule 408.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:
palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
You beat me to it.......
Wait...there's a CHEESE TRAY??
with all this whine, there must be, right?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Noctuary.

Post by Noctuary. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

I can't afford a new machine. Or a new computer. Especially after major car repairs, (on a car that got creamed a few weeks ago).

There it is.

Noctuary.

Post by Noctuary. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 pm

If I could scrape up $500, would that be enough for a better machine? Would I need another prescription?

I would still probably have to get another laptop; Sleepy Head just kept crashing on my present one.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 pm

I wish I could thank this wonderful machine and the amazing people on this forum for giving me back my life.