Oddly, All Distilled Waters Are Not Equal

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RocketGirl

Oddly, All Distilled Waters Are Not Equal

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Posting this in case it helps someone else -

Recently I purchased a jug of steam-distilled water that was a different brand from the one I have always used before (just happened to be in a different store). The night I used water from the new jug, I awoke within about an hour of going to bed with a horrible case of what felt like vasomotor rhinitis. No more sleep that night! I assumed it was the horrendous pollen count, but it tapered off the next day. Next night, more water from the jug, awoke again with sneezing, painful itchy nasal passages, congestion. This went on for several days. Extra washing and sanitizing of the hose/mask/tank did nothing. I was getting desperate so I went out and bought my usual previous water, cleaned the tank etc. and boom, no symptoms and no problems.

Bought a second jug of the different brand; checked carefully to be sure it was properly sealed, and filled my yet-again freshly cleaned tank. Hello, nasty rhinitis, again.

Switched back to the usual brand, rhinitis went away. (A third trial with new jugs of both waters would pretty much nail it, but I am not quite willing to play guinea pig a third time since I can't afford to go without sleep.)

I do not see how this can possibly be. Distilled H2O should be just that, and one company's distillation really shouldn't produce anything different from another - should it? Unless their equipment is perhaps faulty, or dirty; whatever it is, apparently something in practice appears to maybe be less "perfect" than theory would suggest.

So it's just a thought, but if anyone else suddenly finds themselves with painfully itch nasal passages that won't quit, maybe try a different brand of water.

Weird.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Oddly, All Distilled Waters Are Not Equal

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:46 pm

I second that contention.
We used Wal-Mart distilled water for the first several months, and we regularly had to clean out the pink crud.
Our home distilled water rarely presents us with 'surprises"
BTW; where did the weird water come from?

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I second that contention.
We used Wal-Mart distilled water for the first several months, and we regularly had to clean out the pink crud.
Our home distilled water rarely presents us with 'surprises"
BTW; where did the weird water come from?
Thanks, Chunkyfrog. The weird water was Acadia, which I think is the store brand for Giant Food here in the Mid-Atlantic states. My regular water is Harris Teeter's store brand.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Pink crud is probably mold. I got some of that a few months ago when I was being lazy and just topping off my water chamber for a couple of days in a row and only washing it out every third or fourth day. I guess if you heat distilled water a few times you can get something to grow in it ...

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:12 pm

RandyJ wrote:

Pink crud is probably mold. I got some of that a few months ago when I was being lazy and just topping off my water chamber for a couple of days in a row and only washing it out every third or fourth day. I guess if you heat distilled water a few times you can get something to grow in it ...
I've been told (by an industrial hygienist) that pink crud in damp areas is a motile bacteria, Serratia marcescens, which can actually be rather nasty if it gets into tissues. It feeds on phosphorus compounds and fatty residues, like the stuff that comprises soap scum. (There's another reason not to use regular soaps on cpap items, I suppose.)

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

How are you supposed to clean your tank if you can't use soap? (I'm getting my machine in a couple of weeks.) I'm assuming it has to be cleaned everyday? What do you clean it with? TIA!

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

RocketGirl wrote: I've been told (by an industrial hygienist) that pink crud in damp areas is a motile bacteria, Serratia marcescens, which can actually be rather nasty if it gets into tissues. It feeds on phosphorus compounds and fatty residues, like the stuff that comprises soap scum. (There's another reason not to use regular soaps on cpap items, I suppose.)
That makes sense. I was told by an RT that it was mold but your explanation seems more likely. I hate to think about breathing in water vapor with that stuff at the bottom of the tank.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 pm

jen4700 wrote:How are you supposed to clean your tank if you can't use soap? (I'm getting my machine in a couple of weeks.) I'm assuming it has to be cleaned everyday? What do you clean it with? TIA!
I use distilled white vinegar to clean all my equipment, including the humidifier. I use about 1 or 2 parts vinegar to 10 parts water or so.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:38 pm

jen4700 wrote:How are you supposed to clean your tank if you can't use soap? (I'm getting my machine in a couple of weeks.) I'm assuming it has to be cleaned everyday? What do you clean it with? TIA!
Different people use different things - I use mild dishwashing liquid but I follow it up with a vinegar-water soak to make sure that all the detergent is gone, and every so often I douse everything with hydrogen peroxide.

There's a clinical disinfectant that cpap.com carries, I think it is called "Control" - I haven't used it, but lots of others here do.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 pm

i must be different. in the very beginning i used tap water but soon switched to distilled. i buy whatever is available from whatever store, don't dump the water unless i'm cleaning equipment, never see crud in the water and wash with plain old dish soap in the sink and rinse with hot water. and best of all i survived 10 years doing this and can't even imagine what pink crud looks like. i still have all 3 machines and none are damaged or smell from old water or cleaning with soap and water. my machines have never seen vinegar.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 pm

I use Distilled Water from Walgreen's which is purified by steam distillation, and Purified Water from Harris Teeter which is purified by reverse osmosis. My DME said not to discard the distilled water. Just keep using it. As to cleaning the H5i Humidifier tank, which I do weekly, I either do it in the dishwasher or with tap water and a few drops of baby shampoo.

A few weeks ago I had a vasomotor rhinitis (it is a non- allergic stuffy nose and caused by the XPAP air flow and its temp) which I treated with nasal spray, but I have not associated it with the humidifier water.

IMO, the safest way to prevent bacteria in the tank is to let the the tank stand dry for a day or two. But then you need an extra tank.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:31 pm

I have been using distilled water from Walgreens also. I NEVER clean out my humidifier cup. About once a month I empty it and let it dry out and then refil it with disrtilled water again. (I really don't know why I do this?) I replace my cup yearly.

Quality Zees

Post by Quality Zees » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 pm

I have used only two brands of distilled water: Arrowhead and Stater Bros. I've not had a problem. I empty the reservoir every morning and leave my APAP it running with the heater on to dry out the reservoir and tube. This was advice given me by two different DME's. I would think that distilled water is just that, regardless of the maker. I'm surprised to hear there's such a variation. Thanks for the head up.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Someone mentioned recently the purity % on the label of their distilled water so I started looking for it. I haven't seen on on any labels. It doesn't suprise me though.
I've been lucky and rarely even rinse my tank.

ems

Post by ems » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:07 pm

I too appreciate the heads up. I usually buy my distilled water at the grocery store where I do my shopping. I did buy a few gallons when I was at Walmart recently. Just to be on the safe side, I'm dumping it out. I've never had a problem and I'd like to keep it that way! I thought that distilled water was just that... wherever you purchased it.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~