Sinus Pain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jen4700

Sinus Pain

Post by jen4700 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:36 pm

I went for a mask fitting today. I had the cpap on for maybe 5 min at a time with a couple different masks. I have my titration sleep over next Tue. After my appointment today I had a RAGING sinus headache. I noticed that when I had a nasal-only mask that it put a lot of pressure on my ears (like in a plane). I live at 5000ft above sea level.

Some back story - I've had sinus issues my whole life. Many sinus infections. I had a big work-up last year - sinus CT, scope up the nose, etc. They told me a couple of things:
- no pollups
- minor deviated septum (didn't think it was worth fixing)
- ears fine (no extra wax etc)
- he told me I have the biggest sinus cavity he's ever seen (nice!)
- basically they told me "nothing was wrong" that "maybe" when my deviated septum was inflamed that might be causing the headaches.

I use Flonase (steroid spray) everyday which usually keeps the sinus headaches away.

Now I'm worried that I won't be able to tolerate the CPAP especially if I need a high pressure. I've been LOOKING FORWARD to getting my CPAP so that I can feel better! But I can't wake up every morning with a raging headache... Is CPAP something that my ears will adjust to?

Any advice or words of encouragement? TIA!!
Jennifer in New Mexico, US

Kairosgrammy

Re: Sinus Pain

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 pm

One thing you may need to work with is the humidifier. I get stuffy a lot, sinus headaches, etc. I do a lot better with a higher humidity. Little more inconvenient as you'll have to fill your chamber more. Beats the headache though. You might also want to switch the time you do flonase to before you go to bed. It's affective for 24 hours no matter which time you take it.
jen4700 wrote:I went for a mask fitting today. I had the cpap on for maybe 5 min at a time with a couple different masks. I have my titration sleep over next Tue. After my appointment today I had a RAGING sinus headache. I noticed that when I had a nasal-only mask that it put a lot of pressure on my ears (like in a plane). I live at 5000ft above sea level.

Some back story - I've had sinus issues my whole life. Many sinus infections. I had a big work-up last year - sinus CT, scope up the nose, etc. They told me a couple of things:
- no pollups
- minor deviated septum (didn't think it was worth fixing)
- ears fine (no extra wax etc)
- he told me I have the biggest sinus cavity he's ever seen (nice!)
- basically they told me "nothing was wrong" that "maybe" when my deviated septum was inflamed that might be causing the headaches.

I use Flonase (steroid spray) everyday which usually keeps the sinus headaches away.

Now I'm worried that I won't be able to tolerate the CPAP especially if I need a high pressure. I've been LOOKING FORWARD to getting my CPAP so that I can feel better! But I can't wake up every morning with a raging headache... Is CPAP something that my ears will adjust to?

Any advice or words of encouragement? TIA!!
Jennifer in New Mexico, US

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm almost afraid to say this out loud so by typing maybe I won't break the spell. I've had sinus issues all my life and have multiple sinus infections each year. I started CPAP Dec 27 and I have not had a single sinus issue since then. I did have a cold but used my CPAP and upped the humidity and not a bit of a problem. I think that the humidity level is key and you may have to experiment. (I use Flonase in the morning regularly.)

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

All will agree: Titrate to minimum pressure necessary and use APAP to increase it as required to open airway as required; and, humidity! Get a humidifer going on the air line asap. Or you will get a headache. A sinus headache.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

GrantT

Post by GrantT » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Maxie wrote:I'm almost afraid to say this out loud so by typing maybe I won't break the spell. I've had sinus issues all my life and have multiple sinus infections each year. I started CPAP Dec 27 and I have not had a single sinus issue since then. I did have a cold but used my CPAP and upped the humidity and not a bit of a problem. I think that the humidity level is key and you may have to experiment. (I use Flonase in the morning regularly.)
+1. Regular sinus sufferer and spray user (Nasonex), and since starting on a xPAP machine, my sinuses have never been better. Pressure seems to "open" them and the humidity is wonderful. I also think the machine filtering the air helps as well. I don't really have allergies, but my sinuses are easily irritated by pretty well everything...strong scents, dust, pollution etc.

I think if my apnea was cured, I'd keep using the machine just for sinus relief!

Grant

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks everyone. Keep your fingers crossed. My sleep center says that all the machines they prescribe have humidifiers (and data).

Anyone who has sinus "issues" - do you prefer a nasal mask or full face mask? Do you think it makes any difference (as far as sinuses goes)? My sleep center said I could try as many different masks as I wanted to. I think I really lucked out with the place I'm going. Sounds like others have had horrible experiences with their DMEs.

cindjo717

Post by cindjo717 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm

I have always had sinus issues and allergies.. I use the full face mask because due to these problems my nose is stuffy much of the time. Therefore I mouthbreath a lot... so a full face mask is for me. Plus the nasal pillows kept popping out of my nares.. It was a full face nasal pillow mask.. I liked it but those darn nares of mine, must be a hard fit!