Smelly issue ... help :)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
miserkris

Smelly issue ... help :)

Post by miserkris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi

I clean my cpap water container, tube,mask , nose pillow etc...once a week.

i use mild dish / hand soap solution...very light/mild mix with water. I let them sit for few hours in bucket. Then rinse, dry .

I still get a slightly bad smell in the cpap use thru my nose pillows...is this bacteria? If so where is it?
Can I use vinegar solution to clean , disinfect?
Pls advice how often to clean and how else !

thanks,kris

Lizistired

Re: Smelly issue ... help :)

Post by Lizistired » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Do you notice the odor more after you clean it?
Maybe it's the soap you are using. I don't remember the last time I cleaned anything but the pillows.

Elle

Post by Elle » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 pm

I sometimes smell coffee in mine or the soup that I made that day and worse than that is when I cook brocolli. The odors all seem to be in my mask when I first put it on..

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I put on my husband's mask; it smells like his face.
Love to smell his face.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I put on my husband's mask; it smells like his face.
Love to smell his face.
(What is it with women? My wife says when I'm gone she sometimes sleeps in one of my old shirts. Says she likes how I smell. Yet, I like it when I DON'T smell!)

Pithy quote:

Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
Oscar Wilde

The best way to learn to be a lady is to see how other ladies do it.
Mae West

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.

Dave Barry

Guys, remember we're all in this together.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Red Green

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:I put on my husband's mask; it smells like his face.
Love to smell his face.
(What is it with women? My wife says when I'm gone she sometimes sleeps in one of my old shirts. Says she likes how I smell. Yet, I like it when I DON'T smell!)
One of my biggest initial complaints about CPAP was that I could no longer smell my hubby while falling asleep. And that I couldn't sleep in my favorite pre-CPAP position, which was snuggled into hubby's armpit. And I took to sleeping in his robe to help with both cold blast from the exhaust vents and my sense of isolation.

I've since figured out a way to get snuggled into hubby's side (and even his armpit), but I still miss smelling his body. And I still sleep in his robe.

Elle

Post by Elle » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Just discovered another reason I should have looked into cpap years ago... Gets rid of husband smell. This might just have been another one of those instances where cpap saved a marriage.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 pm

I saw some show one time, maybe on Discovery Channel, that discussed the mechanism by which we choose our spouse and one key factor was smell. Why? Well, according to the study their theory was the smells we sense give us a reading on the potential mate's DNA and how it compares to ours. That good matches smell good to us. In the study when blindfolded women chose the man that smelled the best to them, the study suggested they had chosen the man who was the best match, based I think it was on some sort of immunity strength thing (don't ask me how the DNA lab people figured that out). It was fascinating.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 am

It must be the phermones, I love the scent of my husband too, and newborn puppies, still nursing from their mom. When my granddaughter was about 6 she said, you know Nana, "everyone has their own natural smell, and yours is the best!" She's in college now and insists I crochet her blankets and sleep with them before I send them to her. She still cuddles up with me on the couch when she's home and says the same thing, "Nana, you smell sooooo good! And I LOVE it!!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 am

Yes, you can use vinegar to clean your equipment. Just be sure to rinse well. I use vinegar after washing everything with dawn dishwashing liquid, it gets rid of all the soap residue. It also seems to bring life back to my old nasal pillows. I wash everything then use a 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water soak for all but the heated hose. I let it soak for about 5 minutes then rinse really well!

Brenda

Issac

Post by Issac » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:21 pm

you haven't said anything about changing your filters. Change your filters every 30 to 60 days.

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 am

THIS IS A PLUG for a GREAT Product!
You need to experience the Pur-Sleep CPAP Adjustment System™:

One Passive Diffuser base.

Twenty premium, re-usable Diffuser Pads (along with zip-lock bags for storage).

One 5ml bottle each of Clear™, Spice™, and Peace™, three of our best and most popular essential oils!

A sample vial (1ml) of 10 other aromatics in the product line (Calm, Comfort, Fresh, Deep, Creme, French Vanilla, Strawberry, Peach, Bubblegum, and Black Cherry). The package also includes a reuseable cardstock diffusion tray that's very convenient to pack when you travel. Contents may vary from product photograph.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

icemanbryan

Post by icemanbryan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 am

MaxDarkside wrote:I saw some show one time, maybe on Discovery Channel, that discussed the mechanism by which we choose our spouse and one key factor was smell. Why? Well, according to the study their theory was the smells we sense give us a reading on the potential mate's DNA and how it compares to ours. That good matches smell good to us. In the study when blindfolded women chose the man that smelled the best to them, the study suggested they had chosen the man who was the best match, based I think it was on some sort of immunity strength thing (don't ask me how the DNA lab people figured that out). It was fascinating.
I saw that as well.
It was interesting

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 am

Add a teaspoon of your favorite spirits to the final rinse water.

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 am

miserkris wrote: I still get a slightly bad smell in the cpap use thru my nose pillows...is this bacteria? If so where is it?
Can I use vinegar solution to clean , disinfect?
White vinegar should be fine.

Rinse and dry the humidifier daily if you use tap water. Rinse and dry it daily until the smell goes away if you use distilled water.
Try hotter water for the mask if you have a spare. Most can cope with boiling water that has stopped bubbling but some just melt. All should be fine with very hot tap water.

Rinse the hose and clean the mask daily until the smell goes away.

I rinse my tub daily, refill with tap water (but its good tap water, better than bottled water) and I wash my mask most days with Palmolive dish soap and sometimes it even drys out. I rinse the tube about weekly.