Any recent Colonoscopy participants here?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RoboLobo

Any recent Colonoscopy participants here?

Post by RoboLobo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm

I am going to have my first colonoscopy on Friday, the day before I start treating my Apnea with a CPAP machine. I was wondering if anyone here has recently (fairly recently?) had a colonoscopy (and specifically a colonoscopy) and how they handled your Obstructive Sleep Apnea issue. Whilst I was walking the dog tonight I brewed up some ugly imagery of me dying on the outpatient operating table, and although ridiculous it got me thinking. I do plan on calling the hospital tomorrow (and mentioning it again on Friday), but I was wondering if anyone has a personal experience they would like to share with the group

Thanks!

jedimark

Re: Any recent Colonoscopy participants here?

Post by jedimark » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Fun.. I too have this unpleasant procedure to look forward to next month. (Urk.. )

Over here they just use a light sedation rather than intubation and knock-out, so OSA affected people should really wear the mask during the procedure.

They told me to bring along my CPAP machine, but if you haven't got yours yet by then, well, you will very likely survive.

You have managed to do so without CPAP up to now, and you will be well monitored during the procedure, and quite possibly awake for the entire duration of it.. (just not remembering it afterwards, thank goodness) You'll probably be asleep afterwards, which is where you'd most likely need CPAP.

Whatever happens, it would be a very good idea to make sure they knew about the OSA.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

ems

Post by ems » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 pm

jedimark wrote:Whatever happens, it would be a very good idea to make sure they knew about the OSA.
I agree... however, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'm sure I had OSA when I had mine (a little over a year ago), but had no idea at the time. It wasn't a problem at all. I'm sure you'll be fine!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

KSMike

Post by KSMike » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:39 am

I've had "the test" four times, the most recent a few months ago. My doc doesn't put me clear out, just out enough that I don't know what's going on and I don't remember anything. I didn't even think of taking my machine and wouldn't take it if I did think about it. The test doesn't take very long.

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE THIS TEST DONE.
Mike
Kansas City

BasementDwellingGeek

Post by BasementDwellingGeek » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 am

I too think you should have no problem. I am fairly certain I have had OSA for 30 years before being diagnosed and treated. I was untreated when I met Lemmiwinks, er had my colonoscopy. There were no problems.

Rather sick South Park humor regarding Lemmiwinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Q8_nAeeXaE

bdg
(PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and related humidifier as backup)

There are two types of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 am

As KSMike stated, the Dr. gave me a light sedation too. I was not out only I'm not able to remember details but I was not sleeping at all. The procedure doesn't last long and at least you have polyps to be cut or an hernia or other things it's not too painful.

The worst to me was the day before with all the preparations (laxatives ) and the hours before the procedure without eating or drinking. Mine was for 11 am, I was almost fainting when I entered the procedure's room When the nurse asked if I wanted a small sedation I answered I didn't need any sedation because I was already almost fainted then the Dr extended the hand demanding the sedation and put it on the IV I was in the clouds with eyes opened.

Don't worry that is not too bad at all.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 am

Be sure the anesthesiologist is aware of the sleep apnea. They may change how they put you out for the procedure.
RoboLobo wrote:I am going to have my first colonoscopy on Friday, the day before I start treating my Apnea with a CPAP machine. I was wondering if anyone here has recently (fairly recently?) had a colonoscopy (and specifically a colonoscopy) and how they handled your Obstructive Sleep Apnea issue. Whilst I was walking the dog tonight I brewed up some ugly imagery of me dying on the outpatient operating table, and although ridiculous it got me thinking. I do plan on calling the hospital tomorrow (and mentioning it again on Friday), but I was wondering if anyone has a personal experience they would like to share with the group

Thanks!

RoboLobo

Post by RoboLobo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks everyone! I was thinking it wasn't a life or death issue but I will definitely call the Gastro Department today and let them know what's up. BDG I sure hope they don't find Lemmiwinks, because *I* did not put him there!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 am

The sedative does not put you out, but you shouldn't remember anything.
I remember regaining consciousness, wondering if they had not done it yet.
We went out for a really nice breakfast after--I was STARVING!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:36 am

Had the colonoscopy last year and recently an Esophagus scope. The don't really put you "under" as it is a light sedative with some Versed mixed so you don't remember a thing. They give you extra O2 via nasal cannula and they keep a pulse ox on your finger the whole time. It's pretty much a non issue. Just tell the nurse when they get you in the room for the procedure. You will likely have a family member with you and you can tell them to watch you if you doze off back in the room after the procedure. I was alert before I ever got back to the room and there was no need to sleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 am

Once you've finished the night before; the hard part is over.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:22 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Once you've finished the night before; the hard part is over.
I've had 3 so far, never used my hose.

The first two times was not aware of my apnea, had it done in doctor's office [he was the chap that actually discovered the soft-scope procedure]. Total time from walking into office to walking out, each just under one hour, both times, clean bill of health.

My 3rd time, did it at home hospital, I did notify them of my apnea and the anesthesiologist duly noted it when before putting me out. Total time, 3 hours, clean bill of health, and my wife had to drive me home.

As chunky noted, the worst part was the prep the day before, having to fast and sit on the potter for a few hours.

The actual procedure is a piece of cake, you'll do just fine!

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am

Is that where they stick a garden hose up your backside and take movies? Yep, I've had that done. If there is any concern they will gladly give you some oxygen while you are under but generally they give you conscious sedation. If YOU are concerned, just express your concern. They may permit you to bring your CPAP machine it (I have taken mine in for every hospital stay). We are dealing with a pig in a poke here and you will not know what they can do for you until you speak to them. In our local hospitals you get to speak with the guy that puts you under before ANY procedure (for a variety of reasons) and this is a good opportunity to express concerns and resolutions.

All of mine have been done with no CPAP. The last one, although I can't swear to it, may have been done with some O2 and a nose bag.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 am

RoboLobo wrote:I was wondering if anyone here has recently (fairly recently?) had a colonoscopy (and specifically a colonoscopy) and how they handled your Obstructive Sleep Apnea issue.
I had one last Thursday. No worries. I informed them of my maladies, including my OSA and my high blood pressure, and in my procedure they gave me two drugs that did not put me to sleep, but just made me not care and kind of forget some. The nurse stood at my side, with an auto-cycling BP cuff and pulse-oximeter, nothing more. I would say the risk is quite low of apnea being any kind of an issue unless they actually put you to sleep. The greater risk for me was blowing a gasket in my head, as my BP was up to 178/125 before the meds were be administered. I guess I was rather excited about the whole affair

Doctor gave me an "all clear", um, "thumbs up", er, my pooper-peeper "came out fine". LOL

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 am

LOL, mine was sky high too. I just knew they were going to say, "Nope, no colonoscopy for you today. The nurse said, "Don't worry, most folks bp is high before this procedure. We'll take care of it with some medicine. You'll be fine." And I was. Not sure I'd volunteer for another, LOL
MaxDarkside wrote:
RoboLobo wrote:IThe greater risk for me was blowing a gasket in my head, as my BP was up to 178/125 before the meds were be administered. I guess I was rather excited about the whole affair

Doctor gave me an "all clear", um, "thumbs up", er, my pooper-peeper "came out fine". LOL