What machine do I need?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JWalk7696

What machine do I need?

Post by JWalk7696 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Stumbled across this forum while trying to inform myself on cpap machines....and thank God I found it let me tell you. Long story short, I was in a motorcycle accident a few weeks back and had to have a few surgeries. Anyway, after the final surgery the doctor asked if I was on a cpap. I said no, and he said I need to be because I have terrible sleep apnea. This really comes as no surprise to me knowing I dont sleep well, but no insurance means no visits to the doctor.

Me:

36 y/o male
5'10" tall
360 pounds (obese)

I dont have insurance and I cant pay for a sleep study....but, I have about $500 I can spend on the right machine, and there are quite a few on my local craigslist in that price range from APap to BiPap. I would rather not go through a ton of trial and error, but I'm hoping someone who has the knowledge will see this and point me in the right direction. I realize your responses are your opinions and I in no way hold you liable....blah blah blah....I'm just a real guy looking for some real advice, and I would greatly appreciate any I can get.

Thanks so much,
Jason

Bons

Re: What machine do I need?

Post by Bons » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 am

Send a private message to STLMark, who posts on this site. I just got a Resmed S-9 auto through him for under $500, and that's probably the best machine for your situation. It can be used at an open setting to determine what pressures you should use, by using free software that you can get from this site. Not an ideal way to go, but for someone without insurance, it's doable. I bought the pap from him because my husband was diagnosed just as our insurance was lost to to his job loss.

Towards the top of this page, next to User Control panel, click on messages, and that will let you PM Mark. He gets machines fairly frequently, and we are very happy with the autopap he sent. He's been around for two years, so he's got a decent reputation on this site. Sometimes other people offer machines, but they are "drive by" posters and who knows if they are trustworthy? The posts right now from Glenn, for example, mentions a name of a machine that is not manufactured by the company that he names....... not sayin' he's dishonest, but I strongly suggest contacting Mark.

For a mask, you will need a prescription. Perhaps you can talk your doctor into writing one. Our host, CPAP.com, sells them at reasonable prices - often cheaper than my co-pay through the insurance company.

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzz... » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 am

I just purchased a "gently used" ie, 2 hour Resmed S9 auto from secondwindcpap.com. Another very reputable source which includes a one year warranty, new climate control hose, filters, carrying case and humidifier. Not a plug, just another option...

Best of luck- aside from apnea, I ride too so I feel your pain.

-Z

Spinory

Post by Spinory » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:21 am

Jason-

I also went through secondwindcpap.com. It looks just like new. You do need a prescription though.

Craigslist is another option. No script needed.

This forum is fantastic-you will find all the help you need.

Good luck!

Heather

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzz... » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 am

Spinory wrote:Jason-

I also went through secondwindcpap.com. It looks just like new. You do need a prescription though.

Craigslist is another option. No script needed.

This forum is fantastic-you will find all the help you need.

Good luck!

Heather

Oh, that's right... forgot about that pesky RX thing... yeah, you need one for Secondwind... D'oh.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am

One more thing;
there are two models of S9 auto.
I have the S9 Autoset--which is the good one.
The S9 Escape auto is not worth as much, as it does not have full data.
(it may do the job, but you will wish you had the Autoset later)
Make that two----Make sure you get the heated humidifier--humidification is a MUST for most hosers.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 am

Narrow your choices down to either of these 2 machines..if you can find one in your price range.
The ResMed S9 AutoSet
or the Respironics PR System One Auto CPAP with AFlex.

Both are APAP machines and both have easily obtainable software to monitor your therapy.

STL Mark would be a great source for you if he has a machine available. Great guy.

Craigslist is more iffy and you have to really watch the ads because people often don't have a clue what they have. I have a good source that I have used and trust from craigslist for new machines but they cost a little over $700 but that includes a mask....you will need a mask and they require RX also unless we build our own with EBay part...easily done for some of the models.

If you have a friendly primary care doctor who will write a RX for cpap machine without a sleep study..that is also an option. Any doctor can write the RX..doesn't have to be a sleep doctor.
If you have a friend who has sleep apnea...and they have a RX..he can use his RX to purchase a machine for you from someplace like secondwindcpap.com. There are ways of getting around things... Send me a private message and I will explain in more detail.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 pm

STL Mark is excellent I would highly recommend him. I purchased a new S9 Autoset for a friend in your same situation. He is excellent.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

JWalk7696

Post by JWalk7696 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Wow, thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses, I definitely appreciate your time. I expect to be an active member here as I'm the type of person who likes to immerse myself in knowledge. Not to mention, if I have to be a "hoser" I want to align myself with other "hosers"...LMAO!

So, I have taken everyone's advice into account and it looks like the couple hours I have spend browsing the forum come to the same conclusion.....the S9 AutoSet!! After a short search, I have found this machine on craigslist....tell me what ya think?

"I have a brand new S9 Autoset with humidifier. Only used less than an hour.

The S9 AutoSet™ combines an intelligent algorithm with Easy-Breathe expiratory pressure relief (EPR™) to dynamically adjust pressure for maximum comfort.

Using ResMed's time-tested APAP technology, AutoSet™ continually monitors breathing, adapting breath-by-breath to always deliver the lowest therapeutic pressure, improving comfort and sleep.

Enhanced AutoSet is now able to differentiate between obstructive and central sleep apneas, so you can be confident that you are always receiving appropriate therapy and pressure.

Features
•Choice of APAP or fixed CPAP, with or without EPR
•AutoSet algorithm auto-adjusts to maintain optimal therapy pressure
•Climate Control maintains ideal humidification according to real-time environment
•Easy-Breathe motor offers the quietest therapy available
•Easy-to-use controls and color LCD make menu navigation simple and intuitive
•SlimLine™ and ClimateLine™ tubes are exceptionally slim and lightweight, virtually eliminating tube drag
•Detailed data options
•For complete list of features, see specifications

hades161

Post by hades161 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Looks good

Just double check to make sure everything works and the fan doesn't make any noise or blows out any weird smells.
Test with mask on to make sure it doesn't have fan whine on exhale.
Check to make sure the humidifier doesn't error out when you turn it on, and it heats up.
Also make sure to know how to get into all the menu's and check all it's functions.
If it doesn't have an SD card in it you will have to buy one for full data downloading, if you don't already have one from something.
If you don't have a SD card Reader you will need one of those too. Some computers have them built in but if you don't there is a link below for that as well.

Should look like this but any brand will do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820171478

and the Reader something like this but there are many types any should work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0002-00002

They both can be found at like Office Max, Staples, Target, Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

Then Download the Sleepyhead software so you can get the data off the unit so you can tune it in and you should be good to go.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:21 pm

From what I understand the ResMed S9 autoset will not need a card-reader. Someone here can hook him up with Res-Scan and no card=reader necessary. Card-reader is necessary on S8 Resmed machines, and they are old, so I wouldn't get one of them.

If I am wrong about this, somebody please correct me.

Pressure 6-10 cm

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm

codinqueen wrote:From what I understand the ResMed S9 autoset will not need a card-reader. Someone here can hook him up with Res-Scan and no card=reader necessary. Card-reader is necessary on S8 Resmed machines, and they are old, so I wouldn't get one of them.

An SD card reader is required to read the data off the SD card of the S9 series machines unless you computer comes with one built in. CARD READER is necessary..either USB SD card reader or the one that comes installed in many laptop and desktop computers these days.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

hades161

Post by hades161 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:48 pm

codinqueen wrote:From what I understand the ResMed S9 autoset will not need a card-reader. Someone here can hook him up with Res-Scan and no card=reader necessary. Card-reader is necessary on S8 Resmed machines, and they are old, so I wouldn't get one of them.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/3151#

Looking at the back image at full size you will see it.

The Blue line tab thingy is the SD Card. =p

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

JWalk7696

Post by JWalk7696 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 pm

What a shady jerk. I sent the guy with the S9 Autoset $100 deposit via PayPal to hang onto the machine until Friday when I can meet up with him, he lives 2 hours away, then I was to give him the remaining $300. I just received a refund with a note saying someone else offered him $425 so he took it......what happened to the day when a deal was a deal.

Anyway, so now I'm on the hunt for another one. Is the S9 the only machine out there that will automatically adjust? I basically need a machine that between the software and whatever knowledge I can gain online will work for me....I wont be getting a sleep study or having adjustments from a doctor?

Thanks everyone,
Jason

Grrrrrr.....frustrating!

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 pm

At least you got a refund!!! Definitely frustrating. The guy should have at least given you a chance to match the $425, since you had already put a deposit down. And really shouldn't have sold it at all after a deposit. But at least you're not out the deposit.