Newest member of the 0.0 AHI Club.....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Randyp1234

Newest member of the 0.0 AHI Club.....

Post by Randyp1234 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm

I realize it doesn't mean all that much but I was still pleased when I looked at the data screen of my machine this morning and saw my AHI was at 0.0 for the first time.

Randy

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Re: Newest member of the 0.0 AHI Club.....

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Congratulations Randy! I agree that it doesn't mean all that much, but... I had my one and only 0.00 AHI on 01/25/12 and I had a 0.11 AHI on 03/02/12 and a 0.15 AHI on 03.08/12 (my 3 best since being on the hose). But, just to show how varied it can be for most of us, I had a 3.06, 2.19 and a 1.90 the last three consecutive nights and have not changed one thing at all

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

kgresgott

Post by kgresgott » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Congrats! Mine was 1.1.

-Kathryn
'It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away.' - U2

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm curious. Do those of you who are lucky enough to get an AHI so low actually notice the difference during the day in terms of energy and feeling refreshed? I rarely get my AHI under 2.5ish. Usually when I have it at that level I feel pretty decent during the day but I still like to rest in the afternoon for 20 minutes or so. When I get around 5 on AHI from time to time I feel like my tired groggy self so that extra few points in AHI is noticable for sure.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:00 am

My last doc looked at me like I was crazy when I said I could tell a 5.0 night from a 2.0 night. I average under 2.0 and I am happy. When I do spike high though I can feel it the next day for sure, so when I start breaking higher then 2.0 for more then a few days I will download my data and see what's up.

Anyway Grats on the 0.0 AHI !

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 am

soundersfootballclub wrote:I'm curious. Do those of you who are lucky enough to get an AHI so low actually notice the difference during the day in terms of energy and feeling refreshed? I rarely get my AHI under 2.5ish. Usually when I have it at that level I feel pretty decent during the day but I still like to rest in the afternoon for 20 minutes or so. When I get around 5 on AHI from time to time I feel like my tired groggy self so that extra few points in AHI is noticable for sure.
My AHI has averaged <1.0 for the last couple of months. Generally, I have slept well, getting 6-7 hours of mostly uninterupted sleep, but yet, I continue to experience drowsiness during the day, mostly in the afternoon. I can remember periods when my AHI average was significantly higher coupled with less uninterupted sleep when I felt better and did not experience the drowsiness. Some here have suggested that AHI is not so important; it's how you "feel" that matters. I'm about ready to agree. Go figure.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 am

Yes, I feel better with even lower numbers like 0-0.2 particularly if I don't go to the BR during the night. I'm perplexed as to why. If my pre-treatment AHI was near 50/desats in low 60s, why do I feel better with AHI so low? My data did reveal that I still had one 40 second apnea, so could I slightly desat and basically need no apneas over 15 seconds? (doesn't make sense, think this is just psychological)

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 am

Kitatonic wrote:If my pre-treatment AHI was near 50/desats in low 60s, why do I feel better with AHI so low?
Now I"M perflexed.......
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:01 am

Congrats, Randy! I seem to be stuck on 0.5 but I'm trying to catch up with you!

BasementDwellingGeek

Post by BasementDwellingGeek » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 am

Randyp1234, Not to pee on your parade but, be careful to check your waveforms. I've read that those S9s sometimes geek out and report zero erroneously.

bdg
(PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and related humidifier as backup)

There are two types of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

Yay! Bet you are feelin' gooooood!
Randyp1234 wrote:I realize it doesn't mean all that much but I was still pleased when I looked at the data screen of my machine this morning and saw my AHI was at 0.0 for the first time.

Randy

kgresgott

Post by kgresgott » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:56 am

I don't feel any different. I'm still waking up at night so I don't get hours of uninterrupted sleep. And I am still sleepy during the day.

-Kathryn
'It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away.' - U2

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 pm

If you've been sleep deprived for awhile, it takes awhile to recover. I know I've heard folks here talk about it taking several months before they really felt the benefits. You may be waking up out of habit. I still wake up some but not as frequently as before and my sleep in between waking up is a lot better. Of course, I still have insomnia so that causes its share of problems. But at least when I do get to sleep, I sleep well. Just give it time.
kgresgott wrote:I don't feel any different. I'm still waking up at night so I don't get hours of uninterrupted sleep. And I am still sleepy during the day.

-Kathryn

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

How does the S9 "geek out and report zero" when it's not with a low leak level?

I haven't noticed apneas when the S9 reports low, but I have noticed that I can be 0.69 rounded down on the screen to 0.6. Thanks for the warning, so I review the zeros more carefully.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:43 pm

BasementDwellingGeek wrote:Randyp1234, Not to pee on your parade but, be careful to check your waveforms. I've read that those S9s sometimes geek out and report zero erroneously.
Of course they do. We have spoken about this many times before. Turn your machine off for a while and the next night you will get a higher reading.