100 Days in, now time for adjustments?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KrisasMan

100 Days in, now time for adjustments?

Post by KrisasMan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I am now 100 days into using my CPAP and am wondering if I should do a little tweaking. As you can see my numbers are pretty good:

I have had the humidity set at 7 with a boost of 2 for most of the time since I got it but we are starting into an early spring here in MN and the humidity is going from almost nothing to something you can feel. Those of you who deal with humidity swings, do you generally adjust your CPAP humidity as well?

I have also started to notice what I think is mild aerophagia, I have been a bit more gassy shall we say. I didn't have this at first but now I do. I have tried the sleep with my chin up solution but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. With my numbers as good as they are, should I maybe try decreasing my pressure from 9 cm to maybe 8 cm? I would of course watch my numbers for any increase.

Slartybartfast

Re: 100 Days in, now time for adjustments?

Post by Slartybartfast » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Looks pretty good to me. You're using your machine, no real problem with AHI, which appears to be slowly trending down. So at least you know where you stand at present.

Re: humidity, I don't have your machine, so I'm just talking here, but I think your Icon should be automatic in that regard. So regardless of how much room humidity varies, the humidity of the air delivered to your mask should be constant. With my S9 Autoset, the machine measures the temperature of the air at the far end of the hose and controls the temperature of the water bath to ensure that the humidity remains at 80%, if that's where I set it. I suspect F&P would have done something like that. So you shouldn't have to fiddle with humidity settings day to day. Of course, I might be all wet, too.

I don't see any pressure data. Without it nobody can recommend whether it's appropriate to make any changes.

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 am

If you read the info on the Icon series there is no mention about a sensor in the hose. The connector is a simple 2 prong so it is pretty unlikely there is one. This doesn't mean there isn't one in the machine though. Do other CPAPs auto adjust?

Sorry, no pressure data because it is in CPAP mode, not auto, so it is just a flat line. I have a fixed pressure of 9 cm right now.

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:25 am

I just re-read the Icon Auto info on CPAP.com and it says it adjusts the humidity according to ambient temp so maybe there is some adjusting. I guess I will know when we hit the humid summer here in MN.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:40 am

Why would you want to 'tweek 'it? You are doing fine. If you had a car that was getting 30mpg and was running real good, would you 'tweek' the engine so you could get 32 mpg? (I guess some would)

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 am

Good work. I would suggest don't mess with success unless the gas is really a problem and you want to try 8. Your numbers are so good because your prescription is right.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I live in North East Wisconsin and the humidity issue during the winter is a real pain for me sometimes too. For me, the Spring and Fall seasons are times of the least machine humidity needed with Summer being pretty base line middle of the road, Winter on the other hand, well I even use a separate heated room humidifier on the driest days during long cold snaps. Where I live we keep windows open until AC is really needed, then put in small individual ACs for just the bedrooms and have no Aprilaire type humidity control on the furnace. We live in an old farmhouse but I so wish we had Central Air or an Aprilaire type system.

So yeah I range from a low setting(almost off) to middle and then Max during winter.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Humidity in MS is high, high, high most of the time, summer, spring, winter or fall as it says in the song. I keep my humidity 4/5 right now. I'm hoping that as the allergy season wains, I can drop my humidity down to 2 or 3/5. I think mostly it depends on you. If you aren't having any particular problems with nasal congestion or dry mouth, dropping your humidity to a much lower level could be an option. Just know that if you do get congested, raising your humidity might be necessary.
KrisasMan wrote:I am now 100 days into using my CPAP and am wondering if I should do a little tweaking. As you can see my numbers are pretty good:

I have had the humidity set at 7 with a boost of 2 for most of the time since I got it but we are starting into an early spring here in MN and the humidity is going from almost nothing to something you can feel. Those of you who deal with humidity swings, do you generally adjust your CPAP humidity as well?

I have also started to notice what I think is mild aerophagia, I have been a bit more gassy shall we say. I didn't have this at first but now I do. I have tried the sleep with my chin up solution but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. With my numbers as good as they are, should I maybe try decreasing my pressure from 9 cm to maybe 8 cm? I would of course watch my numbers for any increase.