Opinions/Experience re the ZEO?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Opinions/Experience re the ZEO?

I purchased a Zeo and believe it is a great product with useful data output.
28%
I purchased a Zeo and think it is just so-so.
10%
I purchased a Zeo and don't like it.
6%
I am considering purchasing a Zeo.
29%
I have no interest in purchasing a Zeo.
13%
I don't know what a Zeo is.
13%

Total votes: 82

ukeren

Re: Opinions/Experience re the ZEO?

Post by ukeren » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:28 am

I would like to suggest SleepRate. SleepRate is a consumer sleep monitoring and management solution based on consumer heart rate monitor devices supporting ANT+, Wearlink, Bluetooth & BLE devices. SleepRate is based on medically tested, FDA/CE certified sleep diagnostics technology.

It os the only solution in the market that uses heart rate to measure sleep accurately.

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:23 am

ukeren,
The required heart sensor could also be used for excersizing. How does the accuracy compare to Zeo?
When I looked this up, it "Free Trial" for the service. How much does the service cost?
Ed M.

jacks321

Post by jacks321 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Max, how do you wear a ZEO with your listed Quatro full face mask ?.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 pm

jacks321 wrote:Max, how do you wear a ZEO with your listed Quatro full face mask ?.
Quattro *FX* (no forehead thingamajig). Only covers mouth and nose.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

jacks321

Post by jacks321 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 pm

I Gotcha

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Like glucose monitoring, the effectiveness lies in how you interpret and respond to trends.
Just testing to save numbers--probably not helpful--but fun, anyway.

-tim

Post by -tim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 am

I was going buy one until I found out shipping doubled the price (Thanks UPS - USPS is faster and cheaper for small things to most countries).

There has been some talk either here or elsewhere that their newest stuff isn't up to the standard as their older equipment. The newer one being lighter and easier to use and all that normal "its better so pay more" sort of thing.... except it appears they need to get some bugs worked out first.

lazer

Post by lazer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:46 am

ukeren wrote:I would like to suggest SleepRate. SleepRate is a consumer sleep monitoring and management solution based on consumer heart rate monitor devices supporting ANT+, Wearlink, Bluetooth & BLE devices. SleepRate is based on medically tested, FDA/CE certified sleep diagnostics technology.

It os the only solution in the market that uses heart rate to measure sleep accurately.
I visited their site and it is thoroughly confusing me. The belts/receivers all seem tailored to the Iphone yet in their compatibility section, they do mention Android compatibility and program yet it's not clear which belt/receiver combos are actually supported on the Android platform - unless I'm missing something

Also, when selecting any of the belts & receivers, it seems to just indicating they are all for exercise monitoring and running, ect... So what is the one actually needed to use strictly for monitoring sleep stages?

And it seems somewhere during the "Free Registration" process, they are indicating you have to purchase some sort of ongoing access plans (subscriptions) in order to utilize the equipment data reports. Is this true? That kinda sours me on pursuing this any further.

Sorry for the derail. I know this thread was about the ZEO but as I seen the suggestion about "SleepRate" as quoted above, figured I would ask my questions here.

Thanks

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:13 pm

LATER EDIT: My one-track mind failed to notice that lazer was asking questions about SleepRate, NOT Zeo. Thus the statements below. My bad.
lazer wrote: . . . it's not clear which belt/receiver combos are actually supported on the Android platform . . .
Maybe this statement from the Zeo dudes will help:
zeo dudes wrote:Zeo Mobile has been developed for smart devices running Android 2.1 or higher. While Zeo Mobile should work with most Android devices, the following list has been specifically tested for compatibility: HTC Incredible, LG Optimus, Motorola Droid 2, Motorola DROID X, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S2
http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/shop/zeo-sle ... obile.html (then click "SPECS" and look at the "Android" section.)
lazer wrote: . . . what is the one actually needed to use strictly for monitoring sleep stages? . . .
That is what Zeo does.
lazer wrote: . . . indicating you have to purchase some sort of ongoing access plans (subscriptions) in order to utilize the equipment data reports. Is this true? . . .
No. It is not.

For a Zeo Mobile, if you just (1) download the free Android app from Google Play to your smartphone and (2) then link your Zeo Mobile headband thingy to your smartphone through Bluetooth, you then should get the report on your phone that you can then save or forward in a number of formats. For example, you can send it to Google Drive as a PNG with a few easy flicks of your finger. No subscription to anything needed, if you want to run plays without being 'coached.'

I think this video (though it shows iOS instead of Android) explains it pretty well. (You don't HAVE to do the final step shown/described--getting coached online by uploading your data to MyZeo.com--if you don't want to.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I_q4N9teq8

I have my issues with Zeo. I don't think it always does a great job of differentiating REM from Wake, for example. But ANY device that helps people learn about their own sleep--so that they can document the improvements that can come from simple lifestyle changes, for example--can't be all bad, as I see it.

I wonder when our hosts will start selling the Zeo Mobile, not just its bedside big brother? (Hint, hint.)
Last edited by jnk on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 am

jnk wrote:I have my issues with Zeo. I don't think it always does a great job of differentiating REM from Wake, for example. But ANY device that helps people learn about their own sleep--so that they can document the improvements that can come from simple lifestyle changes, for example--can't be all bad, as I see it.
To an extent.

My biggest complaint is that Zeo is inaccurate in assessing poor sleep.

But if the point is that following Zeo data, regardless of its accuracy, will focus and educate about sleep, then maybe the buck - buck1/2 investment (the price of a lot of masks, or a couple of weeks of drugs) is worth it.
...other than food...

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:26 am

deltadave wrote: . . . inaccurate in assessing poor sleep. . . .
It certainly isn't diagnostics-ready, but it isn't meant to be, as I understand it. And it is obviously little more than a toy when compared to a lab (oops, I mean, "center" ) NPSG. I think I might still give it a B+ for home trending of general sleep patterns and staging, though. It could be reassuring to some to see their SWS occurring every night, for example. A person's getting a graphical representation of the effects of caffeine and alcohol on his sleep may be just the ticket for someone who needs to be convinced of the effects those powerful drugs can have on his sleep. Having some idea about one's own night-to-night pattern of sleep onset latency is something that would be hard for the average joe to get any other way. Zeo can't track arousals, but seriously fragmented sleep should show up, I would think.
deltadave wrote:. . . the buck - buck1/2 investment (the price of a lot of masks, or a couple of weeks of drugs) . . .
Last week dealnews.com had a coupon code that temporarily brought the Zeo App-Controlled Sleep Manager down to less than $71 total (including shipping and NY taxes) from Brookstone--about a third of the price of a Mirage Liberty. So I couldn't help it. Now I have one more thing that I can do with my Optimus V that makes my wife look at me disapprovingly and shake her head whenever I mention it. In fact, by that measure, so far I would have to place the Zeo app somewhere between the police-scanner apps and the weather-radar apps on the old Android-usefulness-for-irritating-wife scale.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:25 am

deltadave wrote:But if the point is that following Zeo data, regardless of its accuracy, will focus and educate about sleep, then maybe the buck - buck1/2 investment (the price of a lot of masks, or a couple of weeks of drugs) is worth it.
For me, it's well worth it. It must be worth it to me because without much overt self-motivation I create these charts, that is I'm keenly interested to see my data each morning. Presently, I create and look at charts like this and 3 out of the 4 graphics is Zeo data:

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:39 am

But: terminology-wise, there be quite a difference between (1) the term "Zeo data" as used by the population in general and (2) the squiggly-data Max gets outta his Zeo. Just sayin'.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 am

jnk wrote:But: terminology-wise, there be quite a difference between (1) the term "Zeo data" as used by the population in general and (2) the squiggly-data Max gets out the back of his Zeo. Just sayin'.
LOL ! Yes, the bottom chart and the pie chart at the top is what mere mortals receive. (Bwhahahaa...)

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 am

MaxDarkside wrote: . . . mere mortals . . . (Bwhahahaa...)
We mortals kneel in sincere appreciation to thee and to all residing above the stairway that leads to the halls of uber-geekdom. We shall not give voice to our petty jealousies but shall bask in thy enlightenment.

Seriously, I like what you do.