Do you turn the machine off when you run to the bathroom?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Moogy

Do you turn the machine off when you run to the bathroom?

Post by Moogy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:40 pm

My DME therapist said it is ok to disconnect the hose and run to the potty with the mask on. But when I got back, my auto machine was blowing HARD and it took a long time for it to get back in sync with my breathing. In fact, I gave up after a few minutes...

What to the rest of you do? Is there any reason it would hurt to turn off the machine for my break?

Thanks for advice,

Moogy

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:59 pm

You want to turn it off. Otherwise, if you have software with/in your machine, it will register as a large leak.

sleepylady

Post by sleepylady » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:05 pm

Moogy,

For me, I always just slip the mask off and leave the machine on. I'm not gone long so to me it makes more sense. Just do whatever makes it so you still use your machine at night.

Melinda

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:08 pm

Moogy wrote:My DME therapist said it is ok to disconnect the hose and run to the potty with the mask on.

Moogy,

But, did your DME tell whether or not to leave the machine running during that potty break?
Like Linda said, you want to shut it off, particularly before taking the mask off or disconnecting it.

Shut off machine
Take off mask or disconnect it
Go potty
Put mask back on or reconnect it
Turn on machine

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

slumberer

Post by slumberer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:14 pm

I turn my machine off for my breaks. Sometime they show up on my software somethimes they don't. Just don't forget to turn your heated humidifier back on when you restart your machine.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:20 pm

I'd just leave the machine running. If ramp is enabled on your cpap machine, you can hit the ramp button after you get back to make the machine settle down when you're settled back in bed.

Aswab

Post by Aswab » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:48 pm

I'm with RG, disconnect, make my trip to the loo and hook it up but I don't have an APAP so I don't know how I would feel about that. Ramp's a good idea. If you don't use ramp in general then couldn't the ramp be set to the low range on the APAP and ramp time made short? I know that is no help for people who really need Ramp but....

David

O.G.S.D.K.

th

Post by th » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

I guess, I am different I turn my off. I have my alarm set (on my apap for leaks)and I would think it would wake lh(wife) up
th

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:26 pm

I turn mine off.

Marie

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:16 pm

My machine is set on alert, so it beeps if I leave it running. I never take my interface off. That would mean waking up all the way. Since I use Headrest/Aura or Breeze, I just lift up the pillow system until I get back and simply adjust back into place.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:32 am

Aswab wrote:If you don't use ramp in general then couldn't the ramp be set to the low range on the APAP and ramp time made short?
Sounds like a good idea, but no...can't use a ramp setting at all with the Respironics autopaps when using them in autopap mode. You could with a Puritan Bennett 420E autopap, though, as it can be set for a separate "regular" ramp setting in auto mode.

I don't use ramp myself, but there really are a lot of things to love about the little 420E autopap I use. If PB ever adds an exhalation relief feature to their autopap....woooo.

Moogy

AUto BIPAP Ramp setting

Post by Moogy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:15 am

Apparently the ramp does work with the auto setting on my new Respironics Auto BIPAP.

I am running in Auto BIPAP mode with Biflex. (Still set for a wide range 4-20 while waiting for my titration study.) The ramp was off until yesterday, because my DME rep had told me "there isn't any reason to need it" while running in auto mode (?)

I set it for a 20 minute ramp last night (because of comments here on the board), so that I could adjust gradually to the pressure for a few minutes before falling asleep. It helped a lot.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a feeling of really high pressure, air going everywhere. Checked the readout and it was running at 17 IPAP, a bit lower EPAP. I got up for a potty break and couldn't handle it when I put the air back on. I had worn it 4-5 hours already and that was my goal for my 2nd night, so I turned it off.

This morning, since my brain is semi-functional again, I realize I should have used the ramp again to get back to sleep.

Moogy

Hawthorne

Machine off for bathroom breaks

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:39 am

My machine automatically turns off after less than a minute when I disconnect the hose from the mask. I leave the mask on, disconnect the hose, wait the short time for the machine to go off, turn the humidifier back on and go to the bathroom. When I come back, I lay down, reconnect the hose and the machine starts automatically. All I have to do is remember to turn the humidifier back on.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Jim Eads

Post by Jim Eads » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:18 am

I want to monitor leaks and taking the mask off will register as a large leak. Therefore, I always turn the machine off before removing the mask/hose.

Jim

SnoozeHunter

What about the electrical plug?

Post by SnoozeHunter » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:04 am

th wrote:I guess, I am different I turn my off. I have my alarm set (on my apap for leaks)and I would think it would wake lh(wife) up
th
Same here. I turn mine off so the alarm won't go off.

Do most people unplug the machine from the electrical socket when not in use? I leave mine plugged in all the time but wondered if it would speed the machine to an earlier death. Plus it bugs me that the green light stays on when plugged in.