No Aloha for me :(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
portiemom

No Aloha for me :(

Post by portiemom » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:21 pm

My DME told me today, that they will not be carrying the Aloha mask, and that his supervisor told him they would not order one for me from the Devilbiss rep. I'm bummed about the fact that I pay for health insurance and they won't order it for me. If anyone here gets one and doesn't like it please let me know, as I have about 10 masks that I have clinically cleaned that I used for one or two nights. wah, wah, yes I am WHINING!

Janknitz

Re: No Aloha for me :(

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Is that the only DME your insurance covers?

Many DME's don't carry DeVilbiss products, so they have to pay a lot more for the mask if they special order it for you, since they don't get a volume discount.

But if you can go elsewhere under your insurer, maybe you'll find someone who does carry them.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm

My thought has always been that just like any other prescription, if you get your doc to script it, your DME needs to fill it or simply file a complaint with the state licensing agency. It is NOT your problem they don't get a volume discount for a mask that you need to be successful.

How would you handle it if your pharmacy behaved this same way? Just roll over?
Janknitz wrote:Many DME's don't carry DeVilbiss products, so they have to pay a lot more for the mask if they special order it for you, since they don't get a volume discount.
I have been round and round with my DME cuz they don't carry the Aeiomed Headrest. They have repeatedly lied about why they can't get it and at one point said the factory burned down and doesn't make them anymore.

I am thinking this Aloha could be a mask I would like to try myself.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Cpapppppper

Post by Cpapppppper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Aeiomed did burn.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Cpapppppper wrote:Aeiomed did burn.
So that part is true at least.

;)

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Alternatively - if you really want the Aloha and can't get it any other way - you could purchase one from our hosts - cpap.com if you have your script. If not, go to your DME and tell them you want your script so you can get your Aloha mask elsewhere. It's your script, so they can't deny you this.

IMHO that's utter crap you're getting from the DME - whatever mask I've asked for from my DME, they've ordered without hesitation, and I know 2 of them they didn't stock - one being the SleepWeaver.

Cheers,
xena

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Yet the masks are still available....go figure

EDIT-
and 91 IN Stock here -
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/aeiome ... rface.html

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 pm

GumbyCT wrote:
So that part is true at least.
And they always tried this before the fire even. It has always been a wrestling match.

We ALL know finding the right mask is the hardest part of this therapy. So to deny someone what they found on their own to work should be a capital felony offense.

For the record, I find it just flat wrong and dishonest to deny someone the equipment they need to be successful when they are supposed to help. I'm sure it all has to do with money.

;)

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 pm

portiemom wrote:My DME told me today, that they will not be carrying the Aloha mask, and that his supervisor told him they would not order one for me from the Devilbiss rep. I'm bummed about the fact that I pay for health insurance and they won't order it for me. If anyone here gets one and doesn't like it please let me know, as I have about 10 masks that I have clinically cleaned that I used for one or two nights. wah, wah, yes I am WHINING!

By coincidence, on the very same day -Frieday- that you made this request, I called my DME and asked for the Aloha. He said he doesn't usually carry Devilbiss products, but hey no problem he will be glad to order it for me. My DME is a gem. They are not all bad. Keep looking and I hope you find a DME like mine.

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am

Hi, NateS, my insurance only has one DME that I can go to, so finding better one is out. On Monday I am going to call the supervisor of this DME and insist on her getting me the Aloha mask....maybe my insurance company can put some pressure on them too, and I will have my script say Aloha Nasal Mask. I know I can get one from our host (they rock), but as I pay for insurance and my cost is only 10 percent of the mask cost (of course the DME) inflates the price so they can get FAT, I don't want to pay retail for it in the present economy that is hard for me. Thanks for all your advice and I am determined to try this mask, I am pressure sensitive so when my AHI jumps the FOG is BACK. I am having similar issues with the Bella as some of the folks here, great for a week then bust, leaking all over the place.

pillow user

Post by pillow user » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:10 am

hello to all,

I just spoke to my friend that sells the for RespCare and Innomed the company that makes the Aloha. He told me that DeVilbiss is a distributor of the Aloha, but that they will start selling it directly so that all DME's will have access tot he Aloha.

I just got my Aloha and I have been a pillow user since the Breeze, i have tried almost all pillows available in the market. To me it is amazing to re-visit the masks that I have used. For the most part each new mask has had improvements over others, IMHO the Aloha is the next best thing to hit the market since the swift fx.

I did not realize how many problems I was having with the fx pillows collapsing on me during the night until my wife commented on how she has not heard me leak since i stared using the aloha.

I read some of the comments as to some folks having problems getting the mask they want to try. Not an easy answer, since I worked for a DME I know the hoops that DME's have to jump to get paid by insurance companies.

I can tell you that all DME's can provide all products is they choose too. It is not the insurance companies that dictate what products are covered, they do dictate if the patient has met the requirements for therapy.

If you are a current CPAP user and you have not had a new mask in 6 months, you can switch to a new style or brand mask, all you need is to have a prescription from your doctor specifying the Aloha. It would also help is he puts in the script "DO NOT SUBSTITUTE" the DME will have to get it or run the chance of loosing referrals from the doctor. If a DME does not carry something in stock it is a business decision and it is not dictated by the insurance company.

We are still in a free market society, so the cash option is always available. Our host has a great selection of products available for $$$.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Comparing the prices for the Aloha online (with our sponsor) and the amount allowed by my insurance.
My DME would still be making money if they had to buy it retail.
A complaint to your state licensing board would not be a bad idea.
Also call your insurance, and ask if there is any way they will cover an out of network purchase--since that is the only way you can get it.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks chunkyfrog and pillow user, I do believe this is just a case where the supervisor of my DME place is being stubborn. My DME rep. is always very kind in trying to get me what I need or would like to try. He told me I could call the supervisor and talk with her, but she told him that although they do stock some items from Devilbiss, they would not be stocking the Aloha mask, nor would she special order it. So I guess, I will just have to try in a nice way to make her understand that the brand new S9 Autoset I just purchased a few months ago, is not effective for me without a mask that will work for me. For a long time I used the Breeze, the only constant problem I had with it, as I do most nasal pillow masks was the rotation of the pillows. Although the Breeze mask does rotate somewhat, I have an ethnic bump (Jewish) that prevented the proper rotation I needed to be leak free, at the max rotation it left a spot on the tip of my nose that made me look like Rudolph! Not too bad since I consider myself a completed Jew. So the Rudolph thingy was ok till it got too bad! Lol

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:56 pm

GumbyCT wrote: and 91 IN Stock here -
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/aeiome ... rface.html
I am a little confused - the heading for the thread talks about the Respcare Aloha pillows (new product?), but this link is to the Aeiomed headset pillows. Completely different design. The Aloha gets rave reviews from all of 2 reviewers - I like the idea of the adjustable angle of the pillows. However, the Aeiomed is also an interesting design for "active" sleepers. I was thinking about trying the Aeiomed, until I looked up the Aloha. Now I don't know which to try. I am currently using the Swift FX, but I think I am losing the seal in the early hours of the morning - then having an increased AHI. So, any suggestions as to which might be a better design?

I have facial hair so the pillows seems to be the design that works best for me. My AHI is under 2 for the last 751 days (also for the last year!) that I have been using this machine. I would like to see if there is a more comfortable mask ... I am a perfectionist, so I am seeking perfection. Over the last few days I have been feeling really good, so I think I am finally making progress with this darned condition!

Thanks for any guidance!

justaguest

Post by justaguest » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:46 pm

This Aloha mask is brand new. My DME called and it looks as if Devilbiss got the first shipment and they may be already sold out. If you ask for it by name, a DME can order it for you and if they don't buy from Devilbiss, they can order it right from the manufacturer, RespCare (or Innomed, the nasalaire company). If your DME has never heard of it, it's on the RespCare website. It looks like got them in early here, as well, and they still have a few. It's not very expensive compared to what it should cost with all three sizes and softy wraps included, also. This is probably some kind of promotional pricing. Why pay out of pocket, though, if your DME has to get it for you ? They will, just demand it.