What is Clear Airway Apneas?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kohkie

What is Clear Airway Apneas?

Post by Kohkie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Is Clear Airway Apnea, as seen in Encore Viewer the same as Central Apnea, or is it something else? I can't seem to find an answer on my own to what CA's actually are.

Papit

Re: What is Clear Airway Apneas?

Post by Papit » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:50 pm

"Clear airway" apnea, also known as "central" apnea, are events during which we stop breathing for 10 seconds or more as a consequence of our brain function.

In contrast, "obstructive" apnea are events during which we stop breathing for 10 seconds or more as a consequence of a significant physical collapse or closure in some part of our throat, windpipe or any other part of our airway.

These are in my own words and I'm still fairly new at this myself, so please anyone jump in if I left anything out.

squid13

Re: What is Clear Airway Apneas?

Post by squid13 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:35 pm

If you hold your breath longer than 10 seconds it will show up as a CA. Most people hold there breath when they turn over during the night and get snuggled into the new position. If it's longer than 10 seconds it will show up as a CA. I know I hold my breath as I turn over and I toss and turn a lot durning the night and I write some of my CA's off to that. The only way to tell if it's a true CA is with a sleep test where they monitor you.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV