first nite with breeze!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pharmwoman

first nite with breeze!

Post by pharmwoman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:05 am

well, I had a good first nite with the breeze---the only issue was some leakage and noise, which forced hubby out of the room .
But I have to say i feel much better---I got up about 3 times, at one poiint the mask had popped off, but what I liked is how I could stomach sleep very comfortably.
I have to work some of the kinks out(suggestions appreciated), but I think I am close to finding the mask that will work for me.
Thanks for listening.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 am

Hi Pharmwoman,

You're using one of my favorite nasal pillows interfaces of all, second only to the Aeiomed "Headrest" (Aura) that I use now.

I used the Breeze for about a year - loved it.

Some tricks:

Ayr gel, or KY jelly dabbed inside the nostrils to prevent friction from the nasal pillows when you move your head during sleep.

Use nasal pillows that you might think are "too big" -- don't have to be crammed up into the nostrils -- will seal better at the outside of the nostril rims. Blue = Small. Clear = medium. Mint Green = Large. Lavender (light purple) = Extra Large. I think most women probably do well with medium or Large. Note: the clear Mediums are a stiffer material than the Green Large. Large will feel softer, more comfortable in general.

Regardless of pillows size, if sneaky little leaks keep happening, you might want to put the stablilizing side strap down even lower than the bottom slot on the front of the hose guide. I don't even use the clip that slides up and down the front. I didn't put that on. I simply fastened the stablizing strap across the front of the hose since I was using it down lower than the hose guide slots.

Worked best for me placed low at eyebrow level, as in this picture I retouched:

You can even get rid of the velcro strap they supply and use a softer material (like a stretchy headband) for the stablizing strap.

Hang the main air hose up on the headboard or wall to keep the weight of the air hose from tugging at the Breeze headgear. Rig your hose up so that you can toss and turn under it like a fish on the end of a slack line.

Oh, something that's easy to forget... be sure to check the orientation of the nasal pillows before you put it on. The oval openings at the tips should be tilted, pointing slightly toward each other at the top, to match the angle of your nares. For most people, the oval openings should not be absolutely vertical.

pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:41 pm

well
I was able to get a mask today that goes with it, so im going to try that as well--now that I seem to have a style interface that agrees with me and allows me to stomach sleep, I am feeling more confident. Thanks for the tips and Ill keep ya posted:)

tomjax

mask

Post by tomjax » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm

I, too, am a very happy breeze user.
I do not understand the strap across the way illustrated.
I use mine from front to back.

Pharmawoman? what does this mean- pharmacist?

Have patience with the breeze- it takes a bit of time to adapt, but it is worth it.

tom

pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:50 pm

LOL pharmwoman--I was a pharma rep for a while--the moniker just stuck. I now work for a biotech firm:)

rested gal

Re: mask

Post by rested gal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:02 pm

tomjax wrote:I, too, am a very happy breeze user.
I do not understand the strap across the way illustrated.
I use mine from front to back.
You use the strap the way the Breeze ads depict it, Tom? More like this?

Or perhaps you attach the front of the strap up to the front pad on top of the head?

Different people might need the Breeze stabilized at different points, don't you think? And some don't need any strap at all.

Putting the strap down very low just happens to work best for me.

pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:19 pm

anyone use the breeze with the facial mask?? it looks nice:)

sleepyred

Do you mean?

Post by sleepyred » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 pm

Do you mean the nasal mask? I was wondering how that would work. If anyone has used it - please post!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:26 am

Yeah, I tried the nasal mask that can be attached to the Breeze headgear. Was terribly leaky for me.

Puritan Bennett, however, does make a different nasal mask that doesn't use the Breeze headgear. That one is called the DreamFit. Not to be confused with the DreamSeal nasal mask that goes on the Breeze. The DreamFit worked really well for me. Very nice mask.

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:43 am

Hi, ALl,

I, too, am liking the Breeze more and more. Does anyone have a creative solution for the cold air that squirts on my husband when I turn his way?

Am going to try to play with the straps, RG style. Sounds like it might be a good "tweak".

I found the green "large" nose pieces significantly more comfortable. Not just the size, but the plastic is softer and I adjusted to it more easily.

I also have the hose suspended above my head on the headboard. Then I pull some of the slack hose toward me, and let it rest between my pillow and the headboard. That way when I flop left and right at night, I have a loose line to flop with me. That aspect of the apparatus is perfect for me, a side and stomach sleeper.

Definately relate to the image of a fish on a line

Good luck to us all,
Pharmwoman, hope this is a good solution for you - and hope your husband returns home!

Regards,
AII

pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:52 am

well I tried the mask last nite---despite its good looks--very very leaky. So I went back to the nasal pillows--what I did was i secured it to my head with my survivor buff(lol) and that seemed to be a bit better, but Im still frustrated---but I think Im close to a solution!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Love the Survivor buff ....

Remember, a 3" wide panty hose strap works great. It's lightweight, very stretchy, and gently helps secure the pillows. You might try one instead of the bulky buff.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:23 pm

Apneaicinisrael, the solution for the cold air shooting your husband is the Aura.

Also, you could try an Aussie heated hose. It would still hit the hubby, but it wouldn't be quite so cold.

pharmwoman

Post by pharmwoman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:24 pm

ok what is a pantyhose strap?? I have pantyhose, lol.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:28 pm

This is RG's brilliant idea to secure the "deconstructed Aura".

Tights work a little better than panty hose.

Cut a strip about 3" wide, and long enough to tie around your head and interface - probably 15" long.

Once you have your interface on, just gently tie the strip/strap around where it feels the least secure. It helps alot.

Look up "deconstructed Aura" to see what we do after we cut the headgear off. It's a hoot, but it works.