Using tap water in a pinch

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Using tap water in a pinch

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Guest wrote:Tap water has minerals like Calcium that can cause damadge to your lungs, consult you doctor and don't depend on the online community for something so important
Nonsense! The minerals can't be carried out of the HH tank with water vapor molecules. Water vapor molecules are too small to carry anything out of a HH tank.
Guest wrote:(*damage) also for the people that do use tap water, imagine all that white "crud" as you call that you clean out of the water container In your lungs....
Not true. And, AGAIN, it won't get carried out of the HH tank by water vapor molecules to a person's lungs.

Quit trying to spread that "misinformation" ( aka "BS" ). It makes you sound ignorant. But, then again, you may actually be......"intelligence challenged".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:25 pm

This is interesting, but, the original post on tap water use was posted in 2012

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Tap Water....I don't like drinking it, bathing in it or breathing in ii, but in a pinch, I would do all three.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Guest wrote:Tap water has minerals like Calcium that can cause damadge to your lungs, consult you doctor and don't depend on the online community for something so important

WOOP WOOP WOOP....

what's that?

that's the BULLSHIT ALERT.

now, BREATHING IN tap water, that's bad for your lungs... of course, so would be breathing in distilled water.

water VAPOR (which is all one breaths from the cpap humidifier) has no minerals in it.

THAT'S WHY THEY BUILD UP IN THE TANK AND HAVE TO BE CLEANED OUT! ... duh

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:35 pm

lilly747 wrote:Tap Water....I don't like drinking it, bathing in it or breathing in ii, but in a pinch, I would do all three.
I, personally, do my best not to breath in ANY water.... tend to do a lot of choking and coughing afterwards whenever that happens.

as to bathing in it, what DO you bath in? asses milk? are you Cleopatra reincarnated?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:47 pm

palerider wrote:
lilly747 wrote:Tap Water....I don't like drinking it, bathing in it or breathing in ii, but in a pinch, I would do all three.
I, personally, do my best not to breath in ANY water.... tend to do a lot of choking and coughing afterwards whenever that happens.

as to bathing in it, what DO you bath in? asses milk? are you Cleopatra reincarnated?

Well you know once a year spring bath in melted snow .....

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:07 pm

BlackSpinner wrote: . . . Well you know once a year spring bath in melted snow .....
I love you Canucks!
Cleanliness is next to freezing your buns off.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote: . . . Well you know once a year spring bath in melted snow .....
I love you Canucks!
Cleanliness is next to freezing your buns off.
Hey, I live in the south....... we have no snow
I'm still a clean Canuck though!!!!!
The rest of you Canucks can freeze your buns off, not me.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:46 pm

If the assumption is that in an xPAP machine the water simply evaporates, then there is no concern.

However, if the air blowing over the water has a chance to form an aerosol, then things change...

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:44 pm

Guest wrote:Tap water has minerals like Calcium that can cause damage to your lungs, consult you doctor and don't depend on the online community for something so important

This is total nonsense. Even my sleep doctor said the ONLY reason for using distilled is to prevent mineral buildup which can cause problems with proper humidification. There was a bunch of nonsense about minerals in room humidifiers back in the 80s or 90s. It was nonsense. There are some water conditions where tap water is not recommended, but for most people, it's a nonissue. For examples, if the water isn't clear, it has a bad odor like sulpher, it is from a well, it is DIRECTLY from a lake or river - these are instances where bottled water is recommended over tap. During the spring, they flush the water systems - that's another time to have bottled water of some kind.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

stienman

Post by stienman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:37 am

HoseCrusher wrote:If the assumption is that in an xPAP machine the water simply evaporates, then there is no concern.

However, if the air blowing over the water has a chance to form an aerosol, then things change...
Correct. The S9 I'm using allows me to see the surface of the water while in operation, and I don't think there's enough turbulence to do this, so I doubt it's an issue.
SewTired wrote:
Guest wrote:This is total nonsense. Even my sleep doctor said the ONLY reason for using distilled is to prevent mineral buildup which can cause problems with proper humidification. There was a bunch of nonsense about minerals in room humidifiers back in the 80s or 90s. It was nonsense. There are some water conditions where tap water is not recommended, but for most people, it's a nonissue. For examples, if the water isn't clear, it has a bad odor like sulpher, it is from a well, it is DIRECTLY from a lake or river - these are instances where bottled water is recommended over tap. During the spring, they flush the water systems - that's another time to have bottled water of some kind.
This is misinformation.

The reason people became concerned about humidifiers in the late 80's and 90's is because that was when ultrasonic humidifiers became commercially available.

Rather than heating the water up, or spraying it through a baffle to turn it into an aerosol, ultrasonic humidifiers vaporized the water using high frequency sound waves.

Immediately people found that in rooms where they switched from heated humidifiers to ultrasonic humidifiers, they found a "white dust" collecting throughout the room.

Those who were using the spinning humidifiers already knew about this issue, and either used distilled water, or just lived with it.

But because this was new to many, and because ultrasonic humidifiers were new, it became a big story.

Manufacturers and physicians were quick to respond that when used properly they posed little threat.

However, that's not entirely true. There were, and still continue today, to be cases like this one:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 127/2/e509

Where the water supply isn't great, and the humidifier is perhaps overused, to the point where the child became gravely ill.

Any humidifier that could be called "cool mist" and depends on creating an aerosol through a process other than evaporation has this issue. Whether it's safe to use or not generally isn't clear, and depends more on the water you put into it, the environment you use it it, and your exposure than the exact process, be it ultrasonic or mechanical aerosol generation.

For instance, it's not a good idea to use it if your water is contaminated with lead. At that point, distilled or reverse osmosis purified water should be used.

As far as heated xPAP humidifiers, I'd suggest that it's better to be safe than sorry, but they are your lungs. Using tapwater occasionally from a safe source is unlikely to cause a problem, but while the chances of harm from tapwater are low, the damage that could happen is potentially high, so I wouldn't recommend regular use.

For myself, I'm using reverse osmosis purified water. Not quite as good as distilled, but little to no mineral content, bacteria, and other bad things.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:50 am

I have definitely used tapwater before. Just like everyone said above just needing to clean your tank more often and put a little bit more effort in to the clean.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 pm

Don't ever use tap water in Flint Michigan.

lilly747

Post by lilly747 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:53 pm

As far as heated xPAP humidifiers, I'd suggest that it's better to be safe than sorry, but they are your lungs. Using tapwater occasionally from a safe source is unlikely to cause a problem, but while the chances of harm from tapwater are low, the damage that could happen is potentially high, so I wouldn't recommend regular use.

For myself, I'm using reverse osmosis purified water. Not quite as good as distilled, but little to no mineral content, bacteria, and other bad things.
I'm with you on this one. I don't like the chlorine or the floride either, however, most people don't mind. So I look at it like this.....everyone has a choice......and that's just fine and the way it should be

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 pm

lilly747 wrote: I don't like the chlorine or the floride either,
here's what your fear of floride causes: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 5/abstract

in short:
A study published in the journal Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology shows that Grade 2 students in Calgary had an average of 3.8 more cavities in 2013-14 than they did in 2004-05. In Edmonton (which continued to fluoridate its water), during the same time period, the number of dental caries (or cavities) increased by 2.1, on average.

In other words, ending fluoridation is not the sole reason oral health has deteriorated, but it is a significant factor.

So, why did Calgary city councilors make a decision that has caused a lot of children unnecessary pain and that will cost their parents a good chunk of change in dental bills?

They essentially bought into the unscientific rantings and overblown fears of a small but loud minority of self-centered chemophobes.
more cavities, worse teeth.
http://boingboing.net/2016/02/19/pseudo ... ended.html