OT:Good Calories, Bad Calories....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
-SWS

Re: OT:Good Calories, Bad Calories....

Post by -SWS » Tue May 22, 2012 10:38 am

Well, I suppose I should report my results since I started this thread...

I didn't want to officially start an LCHF lifestyle just yet. Rather, I decided to research LCHF a bit more and mentally work up to the idea. After all, I had made my mind up to commit to no less than half-a-year if I decided to seriously evaluate LCHF. However, without intending to seriously start LCHF, I decided to merely "sample" the LCHF way-of-life. Bear in mind I didn't completely give up carbs. But I did move waaaay toward the LCHF end of the diet spectrum. I'll still have an occasional fajita and margarita at the restaurants, or say a pizza and beer.

The results? I unintentionally lost weight. Most of my days are pure LCHF days. My cravings for sugars and carbs have virtually disappeared. I never feel hungry. But I'm definitely not an LCHF purist, so to speak. Moral of the story? If a strict LCHF lifestyle sounds intimidating, then migrating more toward the LCHF end of the diet spectrum may yield considerable benefits. I continue to evaluate more and more LCHF recipes toward expanding my new lifestyle.

Thank you again to everyone who has shared information in this and other low-carb threads.
Last edited by -SWS on Tue May 22, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Tue May 22, 2012 10:40 am

SleepingUgly wrote:Whole grains vs. no grains, meat vs. no meat, etc. I'm going to just stop eating all controversial food items until this is all sorted out. I'll be eating celery. I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about celery. And spinach. Who can say anything bad about spinach?!
Salmonella spinach a little while ago.

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 pm

If a strict LCHF lifestyle sounds intimidating, then migrating more toward the LCHF end of the diet spectrum may yield considerable benefits. I continue to evaluate more and more LCHF recipes toward expanding my new lifestyle.
This is a really good point. I "downregulated" back into a LCHF lifestyle slowly, and it really helped me not experience the miserable flu-like symptoms that are a problem when you go LC too quickly. But you also have to be careful, because it's easy to fool yourself into thinking you're eating a lower carb diet, when there's still a lot of residual carbs in there.

Some people do fine on the gradual approach, but others don't see results at all until they've been fairly strictly low carbing for a while. You have to switch your metabolism over from burning sugar to burning fat, and that takes time. If you keep giving it sugar (in the form of most carbohydrates) to burn, your body may not be able to make the transition. So if you are trying the partial approach and not seeing any changes, it's not fair to assume that low carb isn't going to work for you. Some people just have to go whole hog to see results.

In any case, eliminating sugar from your diet and reducing or eliminating grains and starches, even slowly, is always good for your body, even if you don't get the keto-adapted weight loss advantages of a full-on low carb diet.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

lazer

Post by lazer » Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm

I went on a low carb diet at the beginning of February per my PCP advise. I went from 168 to 139 currently with most of that weight loss during the first 2 months. It was difficult to adjust to but I was determined and stayed the course. Went through the extreme on and off nausea for the first month or so with the first two weeks being horrible. I also watch my calorie intake and used to limit to about 1200 per day and now around 1400. The doctor's recommendation was to limit carbs to 40g - 60g max a day. I now average around 70-90 but am slowly maintaining and continuing my weight loss slowly but surely. Have already met the doctor's goal of a 20lb loss but I'm aiming to settle in at about 135. I've used a program called "Lose It" on my Android phone which has really helped to keep track of everything.

Oh, and very little to no exercise during this weight loss and I work a desk job.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Tue May 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Well, I can attest to what Janknitz says, I am compelled to admit, I let all the naysayers talk me in to trying to do some carbs early in the day and lowering my fat intake, and I not only feel awful, bloated, and mentally defeated, but I now must once again go COLD TURKEY, or should I say COLD PROTEIN. Yes, I gave in to all the crappy hype that prevented me from losing weight and feeling better all of my life and, despite what I was being shown with LCHF, I took the bait, and blew it. It started with a banana in the am. a bit of carb here and there, and before long the cravings were back in full force, and the old sugar, carb lifestyle started to seep back in. Now I must begin again. I feel like a total wreck physically and mentally for letting myself down. It's real bummer, so keep in mind you may be like me...ALL OR NOTHING, now I must stop beating myself up and begin again tomorrow.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 pm

portiemom wrote: I feel like a total wreck physically and mentally for letting myself down. It's real bummer, so keep in mind you may be like me...ALL OR NOTHING, now I must stop beating myself up and begin again tomorrow.
I think I read that the best predictor of quitting smoking is the number of times one "quit" before... It's the all-or-nothing thinking that makes people fall of the wagon and stay there. It seems like right before you stopped low carbing, you were growing bored with the choices of food. So maybe a little more planning in diversity of foods would help you stay on. (But don't ask me for help with that, as I'm the worst. I pretty much just want someone to plan my meals and cook for me.... And my husband is at the grocery right now!!! Yipppeee!!!)
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Portie, It happens to the best of us. Don't beat yourself up, consider it a learning experience.

Load up on coconut oil--it will help you turn your fat burning metabolism back on without feeling so punky. And make yourself some wonderful low carb food.

You should know this is not the first time I've low carbed. I was doing great the first time and felt like I could do it for life, but a pregnancy intervened (a pregnancy that was only possible because low carbing normalized my metabolism enough so that I could get pregnant). It took me TWELVE years and 100 pounds to get back on the wagon (It's going to be one year next month). I'm just so sad that I waited so long and did that much damage to my body in the mean time.

It happens to the best of us.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Yes, I am so right there with you BlackSpinner, only my hubby buys everything in the store on and off the list, and he can NOT cook! I just let all the pressure and manipulation of others get to me and I accept all the responsibility for allowing myself to be encouraged to do something I KNEW would sabotage my efforts. I do agree I need to expand my choices within the LCHF lifestyle, and commit to weekend shopping and preparation. I am hoping that with only 17 days left of school for the year, that with more time, and less stress I will dedicate myself to do the work necessary to stay the course!

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks Jan, I don't think I would be determined to make this work again without your support and I have lots of coconut oil, just need some recipes now. I will get back on this tomorrow and thank you so much for your encouragement!

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Well, why don't we start posting our ideas for food here?

We've been making oopsie rolls (google for lots of variations on it).

Tonight Hubby came home with Spicy Pumpkin Dry Roasted Seeds by Eden Organic with 0 net carbs (I SURE AS HECK HOPE I'm understanding the whole net carb issue correctly!).
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm

portiemom wrote: Now I must begin again.
Portie, will you choose to “begin” your diet again---as if you somehow regressed all the way back to square-one? Or will you "continue” your past good diet work instead?

Good luck!

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Well, why don't we start posting our ideas for food here?

Tonight Hubby came home with Spicy Pumpkin Dry Roasted Seeds by Eden Organic with 0 net carbs (I SURE AS HECK HOPE I'm understanding the whole net carb issue correctly!).
How about sharing ideas for portable LCHF foods? So far I have beef jerky, oopsie meat and/or cheese sandwiches, nuts, hardboiled eggs, peanut butter on celery, cold chicken quarters, cold veggies w/guacamole spread or cheese dip or low-carb dressing, turkish yogurt w/ a few berries thrown in, cheese slices or cheese sticks...

lazer

Post by lazer » Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 pm

-SWS wrote:
SleepingUgly wrote:Well, why don't we start posting our ideas for food here?

How about sharing ideas for portable LCHF foods? So far I have beef jerky, oopsie meat and/or cheese sandwiches, nuts, hardboiled eggs, peanut butter on celery, cold chicken quarters, cold veggies w/guacamole spread or cheese dip or low-carb dressing, turkish yogurt w/ a few berries thrown in, cheese slices or cheese sticks...
Pork rinds have become one of my favorite no/low carb snacks.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Almond butter...does it have too many carbs? I prefer that to peanut butter.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue May 22, 2012 8:12 pm

lazer wrote: Pork rinds have become one of my favorite no/low carb snacks.
Ah... I forgot about those! My wife bought some this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at the 0g carb listing.
SleepingUgly wrote:Almond butter...does it have too many carbs? I prefer that to peanut butter.
If I thinly spread 1 tbsp peanut butter on celery, I use up 4g carbs. If I can spread more than 1 tbsp of almond butter, then it would probably make for a more filling snack... I'll have to look up almond butter.