OT:Good Calories, Bad Calories....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Re: OT:Good Calories, Bad Calories....

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue May 22, 2012 8:30 pm

I thought Truvia was supposed to be so great, and now I see it has 3g of carbs compared to 0 in Splenda...
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 pm

-SWS, most people say it's easiest the first time and yields the most dramatic results. Do check a low carb calculator to find out how much protein you need so you don't burn muscle. I love the not being hungry part. I don't know when snacks became part of our lives but I think it coincided with the low fat craze in the 90's.

Portiemom, it can seem like a hassle. Sometimes I feel like all I do is cook, eat, clean up and do dishes... and then it's time to eat again. So I have go easy days. This morning I didn't want to cook "breakfast". So I dumped a 14 oz can of salmon in a dish, chopped up some celery, onion and 1/2 apple, added 2 TBS of Dukes mayo(no sugar), some pepper, mixed it up and scored 4 portions. Done for the day. It's abaout 1000 calories with about 80 grams of protein. If I want to eat something else during the day I can, but I leave that up to my activity or hunger level. Add to that the HWC and coconut oil in my coffee.
Turns out, I ate 1/4 for breakfast, 2 1/4's at lunch.

Then I got an invitation to a birthday party for my niece's 3 yr old this evening. They were having pizza. So before I left, I ate the last 1/4 of salmon salad. I went to the party and ate the topping off of 3 pieces of pizza and left the 3/4" thick dough(I can't call it "crust"). I watched them eat pizza, then garlic bread sticks, then cinnamon bread sticks with icing and then cupcakes for dessert!
I came home and checked my blood sugar and it was 87 so I don't think there was any sugar in the pizza sauce. Note, I'm not diabetic but I have started monitoring my blood sugar because I don't want to be diabetic.

I have learned ... when I go out to eat with friends (who all seem to eat high carb), I eat a can of tuna or something before I go, in case there are no good choices. It's enough to not be starving but I can eat if there are good choices.
Stand your ground. You are the only one who lives in your body.

Ahhh, pork butt is on sale this week for 99 cents a pound! . The slices are about 1 lb each so I will grill a weeks worth!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue May 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Hard boiled eggs are a good portable snack. Cold bbq chicken drumsticks, too. I really don't snack much because I'm barely hungry for meals, let alone snacks. I can go a good long time without hunger now that I'm off the blood glucose roller coaster.

I have a few things at the office in case hunger strikes. Almonds, a little protein powder, some 85% chocolate. I keep yummy tea bags and coconut oil if I want a hot beverage (coffee is lousy there). In the fridge I keep some butter and almond butter. And in the freezer I have frozen cubes of bone broth for another hot beverage option. The only time I use these snacks is when I don't have time to pack lunch.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Cashew butter.
I don't even care if it's good for me--it's just that tasty.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Wed May 23, 2012 5:41 am

This support and help is so wonderful, BlackSpinner, your suggestion of sharing LCHF foods is great! I have a lot of the coconut oil, almond butter etc. but I guess I was so out of touch with fats and in to carbs. that I'm not sure how to use this stuff. Coconut oil in beverages? How does that work, doesn't it make them greasy? I do use protein powder (whey in an occasional smoothie and in coffee) love it! I do lots of hardboiled eggs, cheese and tuna, some ground beef, chicken and turkey, but mostly just browned, baked etc. Thank you everyone for your kind words, and mostly for bringing this topic back, I think having it off the board for a bit contributed to my failure, of course that is MY fault.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 am

Liz, thanks for your excellent advice to use a low-carb calculator to check on protein. I shall take your good advice!

Hey Portiemom, I'm glad you decided to get right back on that LCHF horse. I didn't mean to split hairs over words here. I think one of those word choices focuses on setbacks as if they were a major defeat----while the other focuses on that overall success you would like to achieve. May I suggest deliberately choosing your mindset each day---focusing on either short-term defeat or long-term success? I have a hunch focusing on success or defeat is how we go about achieving either.

Thanks to everyone who posted portable LCHF food ideas. My wife doesn't always get a chance to grab lunch. I'd like to offer her portable LCHF food ideas from this thread.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Wed May 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Yup, it makes me dumb on all levels! Good article CG!

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 am

hilton wrote:just eat healthy food. don't pay attention to the calories
breakfast and have a salad for lunch.
just don't snack or eat junk food stay away from proccessed and packaged foods.
just have mainly fruits and vegetables and you'll be fine.
I totally agree. The big difference for me has been avoiding or severely limiting sugar intake. Keep it below 35 grams of sugar a day. A big change for me in following this way of eating was eliminating box cereal from breakfast completely and also not snacking on anything at night that has alot of sugar. I stick with protein like eggs or yougurt and nuts for breakfast.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu May 24, 2012 1:16 pm

hilton wrote:just eat healthy food. don't pay attention to the calories
Define healthy food.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:17 pm

-SWS wrote:
lazer wrote: Pork rinds have become one of my favorite no/low carb snacks.
Ah... I forgot about those! My wife bought some this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at the 0g carb listing.
SleepingUgly wrote:Almond butter...does it have too many carbs? I prefer that to peanut butter.
If I thinly spread 1 tbsp peanut butter on celery, I use up 4g carbs. If I can spread more than 1 tbsp of almond butter, then it would probably make for a more filling snack... I'll have to look up almond butter.

I checked my almond butter and two types of peanut butter (with and without sugar). All three have 6g carbs and 2g fiber per 2 tbsp. I was surprised by the sugar added and plain peanut butter being the same. Sugar added does have 10 more calories, but fat is the same,

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 pm

DrPepper00 wrote:
I was surprised by the sugar added and plain peanut butter being the same. Sugar added does have 10 more calories, but fat is the same,
It really doesn't need sugar. Why, oh why, add sugar and other crap to peanut butter? I resent the fact I have to pay more to have less in my peanut butter!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu May 24, 2012 2:18 pm

You've got to read EVERY label, and since sometimes the manufacturers change up how they make a product, you have to read them EVERY time you shop.

I don't eat peanutbutter any more (I was a peanutbutter addict!) because peanuts are a legume and I'm following a more "ancestral" approach. But I do eat Almond butter. 2 TBSP only has 2 net grams of carbs, not very much at all. Nut butters do not need sugar, and they have enough of their own oil, so they dont' need added oil. Some manufacturers remove the peanut or almond oil to purify and sell at a premium price, and then add back in cheaper, inferior oils. So you have to watch those labels! You do not need soy oil in a nut butter product!

Even almond butter I try to use in moderation. Nuts have a lot of polyunsaturated Omega 6 oils, and I'm trying to improve my ratios of Omega 3's to Omega 6's by reducing Omega 6's in my diet and eating more Omega 3's.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Better still ... just avoid eating anything that has a label.

Eat fresh foods the way our genes were designed to be nourished.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Meat has a label, are you off meat Dreamstalker?