OT:Good Calories, Bad Calories....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
portiemom

Re: OT:Good Calories, Bad Calories....

Post by portiemom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 am

I am still new to the LC/HF lifestyle, but after 6 days with just a few mistakes, I am feeling much better. I know I still have tons to learn, and this will be quite a quest for me. I did find an android app called myfitnesspal, that you can use to scan bar codes on food products and it will break down the protein, carbs, fats, vit, minerals so shopping is easier, I just wish you could keep track of what you eat too. On this app you can but it is not LC/HF, still it gives a great overview of what you do eat. I hope this thread continues with good advice for us newbies, especially with the HF thing that everyone feels compelled to critisize. Thanks to all for your help!!!

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:57 am

portiemom wrote:On several low carb lists, like the easy one a few posts ago, they all say, "can of mackerel." I use to have to feed my first PWD canned mackerel, (fresh mackerel was her diet in Portugual), I could barely get past the smell w'o upchucking to feed her. Do folks really like to eat this?
I make mackeral salad. It's a quick, cheap snack. Onions, celery, mayo and a little mustard.

VVV

Post by VVV » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 am

Below is a photo showing how one FB friend in Germany broke the Lenten fast this morning.

Comments translated by an online tool:
This is how a kit in every middle-class restaurant gets to him. Freshly approved by almost fat-free beef, an egg yolk, capers, raw onion, pepper, salt, if necessary even cucumber, anchovies, peppers & fresh bread, or buns.
What think ye lo-carbers?
.....................................V

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 am

VVV wrote:Below is a photo showing how one FB friend in Germany broke the Lenten fast this morning.

Comments translated by an online tool:
This is how a kit in every middle-class restaurant gets to him. Freshly approved by almost fat-free beef, an egg yolk, capers, raw onion, pepper, salt, if necessary even cucumber, anchovies, peppers & fresh bread, or buns.
What think ye lo-carbers?
Yum, I used to love steak Tartar. Until all the mad cow disease, salmonella and e-Coli news started. Now I don't eat my meat raw anymore.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:21 am

Portie,

Glad you're aboard and feeling well so far. Remember that My Fitness Pal also allows you to enter foods manually. LCHF done properly should not include very many foods that have a barcode (fresh meat, fish, vegetables usually do not have bar codes). I find it a bit tedious at first to enter food manually (because their database is full of processed and branded stuff it's hard to find a simple ingredient like a whole egg), but one you've done it you can save those foods for subsequent diary entries.

Remember, the cardinal rule here is JUST EAT REAL FOOD. Eat food low in carbohydrates, high in good fats (saturated and monounsaturated) and you'll be fine.

GVZ, I know you meant that photo as a tantalizing tease. You are a master baker and I realize you cannot fathom a low carb lifestyle. But one of the most intriguing things to me about LCHF is how the cravings go away. Not only does your photo not tempt me, it looks pretty nauseating to me--I have almost a visceral aversion to how my body would feel after a few bites of that. I'm not criticizing your baking, just marveling at how things have changed for me. 10 months ago I would have been running to the kitchen to try to find something gooey and sweet like that. Now I'm just looking forward to adding last night's leftover asparagus to this morning's eggs.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:01 am

Ha Janknitz, that is so darn true, the pix of that pastry was nauseating, and just a short week ago I'd have been on my way to the closest Virginia bakery, trust me the bakeries here are not too good, but I would gorge anyway just for the sugar!
When I first read about your cravings stopping I though placebo effect or just happening for this person. You couldn't have paid me to believe cravings would go away, after all their pull on me has been huge since I was a kid.
I do remember however, eating ground beef raw at like 3 years old (father was a butcher), back in the day, then I realized at about 8 years old where it was actually coming from after a visit to his shop!

VVV

Post by VVV » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33 am

What about this Body by Vi?

I see on my FB newsfeed that people are drinking shakes. They are also having house parties and I have been invited to two.

Another multi-level marketing scheme sucking in gullible people?

As for the invites, sorry but I already have "Body by VVV". Got it by working hard in the gym and exercising a little caution in what I eat.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:05 pm

VVV wrote:What about this Body by Vi?

I see on my FB newsfeed that people are drinking shakes. They are also having house parties and I have been invited to two.

Another multi-level marketing scheme sucking in gullible people?

As for the invites, sorry but I already have "Body by VVV". Got it by working hard in the gym and exercising a little caution in what I eat.
It is a soy based protein drink. We use it for my mother for breakfast as she isn't eating well, it is low in sugar so it doesn't affect her sugar levels much. She likes it and I make it with cocoa powder. Personally I find the taste revolting but I can "taste" artificial sugars and she can't.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't mean this to apply to Blackspinner's elderly mom, but for most people, don't waste money on shakes (anybody's shakes, including Atkins). Just eat real food! I do admit to using a whey protein powder, but I'm weaning myself off that--no more frankenfoods for me! I make "shakes" with almond milk or canned coconut milk, full fat yogurt, a bit of almond butter or some frozen berries--yummy and REAL.

Soy is a particular problem. Non-fermented soy acts like excess estrogen on the body and can adversely affect the thyroid among other systems. Even fermented soy may not be great--a study in Japan said that men who ate more tofu had higher rates of Alzheimer's dementia--so use it in moderation. I use a little fermented soy sauce on occasion (Kikkoman), but mostly stay away from soy.

Remember, keep it simple. JUST. EAT. REAL. FOOD.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Oooooooo Janknitz, I am going to try your shake tomorrow, I need some variety about now and my friends are screaming Protein shake at me, and that sounds Yucky! Do you use Mayo in your tuna salad and such? Sorry for all the ?'s
Thanks for all your tips! Proud to say I remain JBF 8 years (Jelly Bean Free) really tough for me prior to LC/HF I succumbed to CCF (Candy Corn Free) last year after 10 years. JB and CC WERE my favorite things, good thing I found this thread and the other ot because now I understand they have CC flavor JB's, of course a "well meaning friend" felt compelled to share that information with me.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Janknitz wrote:I don't mean this to apply to Blackspinner's elderly mom, but for most people, don't waste money on shakes (anybody's shakes, including Atkins). Just eat real food! I do admit to using a whey protein powder, but I'm weaning myself off that--no more frankenfoods for me! I make "shakes" with almond milk or canned coconut milk, full fat yogurt, a bit of almond butter or some frozen berries--yummy and REAL.
Remember, keep it simple. JUST. EAT. REAL. FOOD.
Yes, absolutely, but she is 81 with dementia, diabetes and a fussy eater. I am working on getting real food into them. Today I threw out a giant garbage bag full of "crap" - mostly expired. I am cooking from scratch and they are liking it but breakfast is still a hard meal to get into them and by adding the shake I can turn a crappy carb meal into something reasonable. Even though I am feeding them well and she is now eating she is still losing muscle mass and being anaemic.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:13 pm

BlackSpinner, I've been wondering how you and your folks are, so I am glad to see your post! Your a wonderful daughter, and I envy your folks for having such a devoted gal. Positive vibes coming your way!!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:26 pm

I like the EAS 100% whey protein.
It comes in powder form, so you can mix it to taste (and supply your own water--save money)
Since it is whey, rather than soy, I like the taste better.
A little cheaper is the Pure Protein brand powder, it mixes easier, but has a slight after-taste.
I am planning to try Target's house brand, but will have to wait until pay day.
I compared the nutrition/ingredients of both vs Physician's Weight Loss Center's single serve size
and it was nearly identical--for a fraction of the cost.
Weight Watchers and Atkins are way high on carbs vs protein--can't see how they would be any use at all-
and they are pricey. Same with Jillian Michaels.

VVV

Post by VVV » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I like the EAS 100% whey protein.
I have used that one and now my local discount grocer carries the Body Fortress brand which appears to be identical.

It is also good mixed in almond milk or 4% fat cow milk.

My wife bought me a Keurig a year ago and it did not take me long to try mixing the whey powder in coffee. Vanilla or chocolate protein powder tastes great in hot coffee and mixes easily with a spoon.

Since you are getting no fat I usually much on a few walnuts while enjoying the protein coffee.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:30 pm

I have been improvising on smoothies.... a couple of days ago, I threw some plain full fat yogurt, coconut milk, frozen blueberries, a 1/2 tsp Truvia, 1 scoop of Bluebonnet vanilla whey isolate, and a few ice cubes into my Ninja and zapped it. Heavenly! Before I bought the whey, I tried strawberries, full fat yogurt, about 1 tsp of flax meal, ice, and Truvia and zapped that. It was excellent! Going to try a natural peanut butter and banana one next

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.