POLL: How long until you started feeling better

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How long once you started using CPAP did you start feeling better

1-4 weeks
54%
2-4 months
19%
5-7 months
4%
8-12 months
7%
1-2 years
4%
more then 2 years
13%

Total votes: 54

danjfoley

POLL: How long until you started feeling better

Post by danjfoley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:37 am

Just a poll

Kairosgrammy

Re: POLL: How long until you started feeling better

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 pm

I felt better after 3 weeks. If I'd had the right mask for me, it probably would have been much sooner. Started with a nasal mask. Found out I was even more claustophobic than I thought I was. I didn't realize even that there are different masks and because of what my brother went through and how sick he got because of apnea, I was determined to make it work. I finally, after 3 weeks, went back only to find that there are nasal pillows. What I really don't understand is that when I had the sleep study, they asked if I was claustophobic and I said yes. Why did they start with a nasal mask when they knew I probably couldn't tolerate one. *sigh*

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Define better...

Better is very subjective. I still don't wake up feeling like running a marathon but I at least don't wake up feeling like I just ran the marathon....
None of your choices "fit" my situation completely. So I didn't vote.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm

I checked the first one, since my horrible, multiple wake-ups stopped right away;
and I no longer felt like the 'brown on the ground that the hound puts down'.
Actually 'feeling better' has been an ongoing process--The more I work on good sleep habits,
proper diet. and enough exercise--I get dividends--the harder I work at it, the better I feel..

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 pm

I agree with Pugsy, better is very subjectif word. I started to see a real difference after 4 months at the right pressure using the right machine (long history ). But it toke at least 1 more year and a half to feel really rested at wake up and been able to wake up with an alarm clock. Today after 2 years I can stand better a loss of sleep time but still I need to follow closely my AHI because I feel right away the difference if it's higher than 1.5.

Each one is different, each one had more or less sleep deprivation, other health problems etc which makes the time needed particular for each one of us.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Pugsy wrote:Define better...

Better is very subjective. I still don't wake up feeling like running a marathon but I at least don't wake up feeling like I just ran the marathon....
Same here, I don't feel as bad as I did pre-cpap, but I don't feel as good as I did pre-CSA. I'm better but still not 'there' yet. So, I'm not sure which choice to use.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I voted 1-4 weeks only because immediately after starting therapy, I stopped getting up multiple times per night for bathroom visits. I still don't jump out of bed full of energy, after more than a year, and still get very tired well before bed time, but no matter what time I go to bed - 6-7 hours is the max I sleep.

So, I really don't feel any better, however my stats tell me I'm much better for having CPAP therapy, as well as improved kidney function etc.

Cheers,
xena

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 pm

I didn't feel bad before CPAP..... My wife was complaining about the snoring

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm

I was getting up 5 to 6 times a night to pee before cpap. That stopped within 4 days. You can not get good sleep when you get up out of bed 5 to 6 times a night. Yes, it was immediate relief for me and my wife.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 pm

i know it's working but i don't feel any better due to other health/lung issues. i view my apap as more of a life saving item that a feel better item. sometimes when people don't feel better it is caused by other diagnosed/undiagnosed underlying health issues.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

derek70

Post by derek70 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:40 pm

3 months and still don't fell better.

cindjo717

Post by cindjo717 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:44 pm

I put 5-7 months because although I felt a major difference pretty much in the first week, I really did not see a significant turn around until fairly recently. I think it took me like four months to get it together with the right mask and pressure etc. I also think that for me, it took a while for my memory to come back ( not back all the way yet) on a steady basis.I don't know how long I can keep on improving until I hit a plateau and just stay at one level. I still feel like I am improving slowly day by day. I feel a world of difference though, I love my mask.

cindjo717

Post by cindjo717 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:46 pm

kempo wrote:I was getting up 5 to 6 times a night to pee before cpap. That stopped within 4 days. You can not get good sleep when you get up out of bed 5 to 6 times a night. Yes, it was immediate relief for me and my wife.
I did the same thing, when I did not have my machine (before diagnosis) I would get up to pee at least 4 times a night. Now I don't get up once. It's really amazing to me. I did that for years and thought it was a weak bladder..

ems

Post by ems » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:Define better...

I'm so glad I waited for Pugsy to post... I didn't vote for the same reason.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Felt better almost immediately! Bye - Bye to 3 - 5 bathroom trips each night; loud gasps for breath that startle the family awake; loud snoring that could be registered on the Richter Magnitude Scale and would keep the family from sleeping

But better is far from perfect! My therapy is an on-going work in progress, that will have its up's (right now I am in a 'sweet spot’ and have great numbers and restful sleep), and down's (bad cold, sinus/allergy, or poor sleep hygiene that at times will play total havoc with the numbers and restful sleep.

All in all, XPAP therapy for me is a miracle! If I have to use it the rest of my life to get the best health and sleep possible for me as an hose head, well, I am all in!

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright