CAs suddenly appear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VikingGnome

CAs suddenly appear

Post by VikingGnome » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I've been a month now on new S9 Elite at 15. My AHI was consistently below 3 and almost all obstructive or hypopneas. Rarely CAs. Two days ago my AHI was up to 6.5 and this morning AHI up to 8.6. CAs are the majority contributor to AHI. What could have changed to suddenly have CAs and not obstructive or hypopneas?

jweeks

Re: CAs suddenly appear

Post by jweeks » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:44 am

Hi,

I seem to have things like this happen to me a lot...every time I get into a groove with CPAP, it changes for no apparent reason.

First question is if you have changed anything at all? Different routine, different food, different make up, different bedding, a change in temperature?

Second question is if your machine is showing anything else different, like different leaks or higher pressure?

If you are month in, it could be that your mask gasket is worn out or your filter needs to be changed. A worn out mask could cause leaks, and if your machine goes up in pressure to compensate, your data becomes unreliable.

Another possibility is that you are getting adapted to CPAP, your are caught up on your sleep debt, and now you are sleeping much more deeply. That means that you are more relaxed, and that can cause the number and type of events to change. If this is the case, you may need to go back to your sleep doctor. You probably have a 6 week or 2 month follow-up scheduled, so make this a topic of discussion. In some cases, people need to do another sleep study or have their machine adjusted once they get adapted to CPAP.

-john-

Otter

Post by Otter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:49 am

VikingGnome wrote:I've been a month now on new S9 Elite at 15. My AHI was consistently below 3 and almost all obstructive or hypopneas. Rarely CAs. Two days ago my AHI was up to 6.5 and this morning AHI up to 8.6. CAs are the majority contributor to AHI. What could have changed to suddenly have CAs and not obstructive or hypopneas?
Being awake could do that. Have you been thinking things over in bed?

SleepySydney

Post by SleepySydney » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:45 am

I have had the same issues and I figured out its the temperature creating mine. It has been warm and humid and I have not had the A/C on yet.
It got cool again last night and my CA's almost dissappeared. Granted its only 1 night so I will watch and see if this truly is the case.
But I know I don't sleep as well in a warm room as I do in a cold room.