Whats it called?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
baprater

Whats it called?

Post by baprater » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:29 pm

This is kind of hard to explain if you havent experienced this yourself but here goes! Sometimes when I read a magazine/book to try to get to sleep I will be laying there reading and then all of a sudden I drop my magazine and then I jerk back awake. My husband told me several years ago that he read somewhere what it was called, but he has forgotten. Anyway, just wondering if this might be related to sleep apnea?!

After the last response I got from my other post. Please ONLY answer this msg. if you are going to send a kind, sensitive reply. No bullying or brow beating please!

cowlypso

Re: Whats it called?

Post by cowlypso » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Hypnic or hypnagogic jerk.

baprater

Post by baprater » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm

What does that mean, what causes it and is it related to sleep apnea?? It is unnerving when it happens - doesnt happen all the time....

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't think that this has anything at all to do with sleep apnea. I was reading my Kindle last night and had not been wearing my mask yet...did not think that I would fall asleep. Apparently I did "jerk" as you mention, even dropped my kindle on the floor, did not remember falling asleep and put my mask on and later on when my husband came home I asked him where my kindle was...he found it on the floor. I think that this is just part of our "normal" sleep behavior. It is the stopping breathing that is our sleep apnea. Our trusty machine, mask and hose can provide us the therapy we need to reduce medical problems that result from untreated sleep apnea (arythmia, fatique, headaches,heart attack, stroke, etc.) Of course, I should be more careful when reading my kindle at night - it may break more easily than a book...lol

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Sounds like Sleep Apnea to me, I too have it happen while setting in me recliner watching T.V.. I thing we fall asleep have a event and wake up with a jolt from it. I miss a lot of my shows in the evenings, and if so I know I should use the XPAP then but don't as I don't really want to sleep. Doing so also makes it harder for me to sleep sound at night. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Well.. my hubby does this - a LOT! and he definitely doesn't have OSA. If it's related to OSA then he needs to have some more intense testing.

Cheers,
xena

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm

I used to have it nearly every night; but I can't remember doing it at all since starting CPAP.
I suspect there may be some connection--but that's just in my case.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

I've been on XPAP going on 7 years, it's just the last two years this has been going on a lot. I sleep at weird times and have poor sleep habits lately, but I can so I do, I pay a price for it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 pm

xenablue wrote:Well.. my hubby does this - a LOT! and he definitely doesn't have OSA. If it's related to OSA then he needs to have some more intense testing.

Cheers,
xena
Xena, when you say "a LOT" does that mean a lot of nights when he's falling asleep this single jerk happens, or he jerks a lot of times during a night?

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 pm

kteague wrote:
xenablue wrote:Well.. my hubby does this - a LOT! and he definitely doesn't have OSA. If it's related to OSA then he needs to have some more intense testing.

Cheers,
xena
Xena, when you say "a LOT" does that mean a lot of nights when he's falling asleep this single jerk happens, or he jerks a lot of times during a night?

No, he does this often when dozing when watching tv - never during the night, but sometimes right when he's falling asleep, never once he's actually asleep.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:24 pm

It's very common as people fall to sleep. It doesn't usually mean anything.

It's often accompanied by a feeling like you're about to fall out of bed.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.