Not adjusting to Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BigTex

Not adjusting to Cpap

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 am

Its been over a week.
First I used a nasal mask and realized that I am a mouth breather.
No real success with the nasal mask.

Switched to a Quattro FX mask.
First mask to large so that did not work.

Second mask the same just a smaller mask.
Day one was not really successful.
Second night was horrible.
I woke up gasping for air several times.
Did not use mask very long but AHI was 27 I think.
Just a bad experience.

I will fall a sleep with the mask on, wake up take it off.
Wake up again, put it back on.
Wake up take it off.
That seems to be the pattern so far.

After 9 nights on Cpap I am pretty much worn out.
I am concerned this will not work for me and I am concerned I am not using the mask enough to be compliant with the insurance company.
This pretty much sucks.

During the sleep study they went up to 12 for the pressure but doc told me to use 8.
I am wondering if this is not enough using a full face mask.

Should I up the pressure?

BigTex

Re: Not adjusting to Cpap

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

Screen shots from sleep head.

Last night:

Monday night:

bartinstine

Post by bartinstine » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:40 am

What pressure does your machine start at?

Everyone's needs are different. I have been seriously messing around with mine for about 2 and a half weeks. I still don't have it dialed in.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 am

Hi, sorry cpap is not working to your benefit. We all go through an adjustment phase in the beginning. Mask off/on can effect, quality of sleep. Any reason why, your taking mask off? Quattro takes time getting used to. Lot's of help at the forum, will get you on the right track, hang in there.

BigTex

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 am

bartinstine wrote:What pressure does your machine start at?

Everyone's needs are different. I have been seriously messing around with mine for about 2 and a half weeks. I still don't have it dialed in.

I am at 8 now.

ohwhatanight

Post by ohwhatanight » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:46 am

Hi BigTex - so sorry you are having such trouble. I started just a few days before you and it wasn't fun either. Your numbers are a lot scarier than mine though - so I hope you keep trying. Getting a mask to fit right is really frustrating but after 13 nights, I finally got mine to work (thanks to lots of help from this forum.)

I'd give your doc a call TODAY if I were you. If even on CPAP you are getting an AHI of 27, I would guess your pressure isn't right.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 am

Looks to me your leak rate is out of control, along with AHI,. Need to figure out why? you take off mask or mask is coming off, try to get your leak rates down, that would be my first approach

BigTex

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am

Spirit wrote:Looks to me your leak rate is out of control, along with AHI,. Need to figure out why? you take off mask or mask is coming off, try to get your leak rates down, that would be my first approach
I take off the mask...

but if I understand the charts correctly, it seems that AHI is going up even if the leak rate is not changing.
But I am pretty clueless reading this stuff.

TxBobS

Post by TxBobS » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:09 am

Assuming you have fit the new mask properly and you still have problems with leaks, it sound like you need to try something else. Maybe a Gecko pad or maybe just a different mask. I personally never could get that mask to work for me. Keep fighting it though. You will eventually win. It's just a PITA getting there.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:17 am

bigtex - just so you know you're not alone - it can take days, weeks, months or longer for some people to really be comfortable with XPAP therapy.

Firstly - with you being so new to XPAP, I wouldn't recommend you change your pressure, unless YOU decide to - that's a very personal decision, or one that is better made with your Dr.'s support. Once you've been doing this a while, experimenting is part of better therapy and control of AHI - IMHO.

You do need to address your AHI numbers to get them to 5.0 or below, and your leak rates need looking at.

Look for janknitz - she has some awesome blogs on fitting your mask and a bunch of other great stuff.

Whilst your machine is important, in that it should be fully data-capable, your mask is what makes or breaks successful therapy.

Second to your mask, or maybe equal IMO, is attitude. Wearing a mask strapped to your face isn't in any way natural, and trying to sleep that way is nuts! Once I got over the emotions of having to do this, it was so much better and easier to deal with. I truly think this is why a lot of people do as you do and rip their mask off during the night - it's non-acceptance of having to wear a mask every night - consciously or unconsciously.

If you can convince yourself WHY you MUST do this every night, and that you must not give up and try to tell yourself to keep your mask on all night - bad habits won't form, that you have to try and break.

Thirdly - always feel free to post here - vent, ask questions, comment - there are some wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful folk on this forum - better than any other CPAP forum on the web.

Cheers,
xena

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:04 pm

I (and many others) have tried a dozen or more masks over a space of months, before we found the ONE.
Sometimes it takes time--and persistence.
Above all; DO NOT GIVE UP!
It really is worth the effort.

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Bigtex,

Have you tried using the mask for 5 - 10 mins during the day without the objective of going to sleep. Just to try and get a little more used to it and see if you can spot any leaks or any adjustments you could make. Take little steps at first until you develop confidence in the therapy and ultimately find your own comfort zone. Practice taking some deep breaths and relaxing. At this stage I wouldn't adjust the pressure without talking to your Dr.

Xenablue gave some good advice as well.

Good luck!

bob
unclebob

BigTex

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 pm

unclebob wrote:Hi Bigtex,

Have you tried using the mask for 5 - 10 mins during the day without the objective of going to sleep. Just to try and get a little more used to it and see if you can spot any leaks or any adjustments you could make. Take little steps at first until you develop confidence in the therapy and ultimately find your own comfort zone. Practice taking some deep breaths and relaxing. At this stage I wouldn't adjust the pressure without talking to your Dr.

Xenablue gave some good advice as well.

Good luck!

bob

Yes, I try to wear the mask for 30 minutes or so while watching tv.

BigTex

Post by BigTex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:02 pm

xenablue wrote:bigtex - just so you know you're not alone - it can take days, weeks, months or longer for some people to really be comfortable with XPAP therapy.

Firstly - with you being so new to XPAP, I wouldn't recommend you change your pressure, unless YOU decide to - that's a very personal decision, or one that is better made with your Dr.'s support. Once you've been doing this a while, experimenting is part of better therapy and control of AHI - IMHO.

You do need to address your AHI numbers to get them to 5.0 or below, and your leak rates need looking at.

Look for janknitz - she has some awesome blogs on fitting your mask and a bunch of other great stuff.

Whilst your machine is important, in that it should be fully data-capable, your mask is what makes or breaks successful therapy.

Second to your mask, or maybe equal IMO, is attitude. Wearing a mask strapped to your face isn't in any way natural, and trying to sleep that way is nuts! Once I got over the emotions of having to do this, it was so much better and easier to deal with. I truly think this is why a lot of people do as you do and rip their mask off during the night - it's non-acceptance of having to wear a mask every night - consciously or unconsciously.

If you can convince yourself WHY you MUST do this every night, and that you must not give up and try to tell yourself to keep your mask on all night - bad habits won't form, that you have to try and break.

Thirdly - always feel free to post here - vent, ask questions, comment - there are some wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful folk on this forum - better than any other CPAP forum on the web.

Cheers,
xena

When I take my mask off its usually because I am gasping for air.
Usually this has happened several times before it comes off.

Something to give at night. I am already walking around like a zombie.
Keeping the mask on at night constantly waking up gasping its just not going to happen.
I must figure out how to stop that.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Don't screw with your pressure until you sort out the "comfort features".
What is your ramp set at? If your pressure is 8, you probably don't need ramp anymore. If you can, turn it off or set it for 10-15 minutes.
What is your EPR set at?
DME's typically set it at 3, which reduces your pressure on exhale by 3. Duh. OK, I know why they do it. Compliance is job #1 for them.
Many of us don't need it and it often makes you feel like the machine is telling you when you breathe. This little feature screwed me up for 6 weeks until I finally turned it off.
Try it at 1 or 0 and see if you need it at all. If you do, you can increase it.