"ARE YOU MAD"!!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk

Re: "ARE YOU MAD"!!!!

Post by jnk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 am

RocketGirl wrote: Seriously I have wondered the same thing as Gaz. Throw a bunch of chronically sleep-deprived people in a forum and I'd expect Mutually Assured Destruction. (Now there's a definition of "MAD" for us!)
Well, there once was a day when this board--in between the fantastic threads filled with enlightening technological discussions, practical suggestions, and loving help--always had a few other threads going with new people coming here saying "I'm not sure I really want to do this CPAP thing" and then ten pages of angry replies saying "YOU"RE PROBABLY GONNA DIE, THEN!!!!" and then ten pages of "PLEASE STOP TELLING NEWBIES TO UPDATE THEIR INSURANCE POLICIES" then ten more pages of "WELL, THEN, YOU CAN JUST DIE WITH THE BLANKETY-BLANK NEWBIES YOURSELF, SO THERE!!!!"

It was entertaining sometimes, I guess, but it didn't get anyone anywhere much.

These days there seems to be a good mix of mature people with varying opinions who actually enjoy exchanging information and talking about their differing takes. But there are fewer threads on deeper technological matters, it seems to me. I think part of that is that the technology of the CPAP machines and of the masks has improved so much recently.

This board is a valuable help to people who need answers to their questions on serious medical matters. Many of the people here are, uh, of a certain age, so that tends to keep things saner than some boards filled with teenaged angst, in my opinion.

It is a very public board with room for all types, ages, policical beliefs, religious beliefs, and backgrounds, since anyone can be affected by bad sleep or bad breathing or both. I think the "OT" idea has worked well, for the most part. And I think a lot of good occurs here every single day.

Personally, I just miss some of my favorite posters who used to post around here a lot more. I recommend that new ones search for and read older posts by the likes of Rested Gal and -SWS and Ozij and Slinky. The old threads of this board contain a lot of wisdom, experience, and knowledge that is there for the taking if you go back and read it. Oh, and all of Uncle Dave's stuff too, though with all his name changes over the years it is harder to search for it.

To answer the OP directly, I think many come here angry as an expression of their grief, anxiety, and depression over their condition. I think it important that it be allowed to be expressed by them. But coming back at them with madness rarely helps them, in my opinion. Letting new ones vent gives more experienced ones an opportunity to try to figure out what might help them. That's my take.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:56 am

Ha! After not being able to sleep for beans from 1994 to 2006 I was an ABSOLUTE WITCH! I hated the whole world and everyone in it. Especially the medical profession. Hail, I didn't even like myself!!!

I only began to see hope after finally starting CPAP therapy. But even then it was a SLOW process. Fortunately, only one lousy DME provider. A sleep pulmo I liked but who wasn't the most inspiring and several sleep pulmos that were run of the mill, ho-hum sorts, and one sheister sleep pulmo. Delayed switch from CPAP to VPAP (bi-level). Out of pocket money spent on two different brands of CPAP, two different brands of APAP, two different brands of VPAP/BPAP .... and a lot of experimenting w/my therapy settings w/guidance from my sleep pulmo but less guidance than I wanted or needed.

Ooops. And probably close to 20 masks ....

GOD BLESS CPAPTALK.COM!!!!! I'd have never made it to fairly consistent AI = 0.0 w/o this forum!!!

*Correction: Insurance purchased one CPAP and one VPAP. I bought the others out of pocket.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 am

deltadave wrote:Also, please use the Spellchecker and review for punctuation and grammatical errors prior to posting.
What? And convert his English spelling and grammar to American? Actually I don't recall any misspellings or grammatical errors in Gazhacks posts. It's kind of entertaining reading the English variants of American language!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 am

I was the bitch from hell until I got my cpap. I belong to a historical recreation group and my "coat of arms" contains a "Harpy displayed" - every one thought it was an excellent choice. My family were soooo happy with the therapy results that they encouraged me to no end to keep it up, not that there was any problem that way.

Right now things are super stressful for me and sleep has been spotty but I was able to release my MAD on a stupid call trying to sell me financial products this morning. Even the animals know that when a certain tone comes into my voice it is a good idea to find a nice hiding place to sleep in, though the dog is a bit confused about it because sometimes she gets dragged on super long walks instead.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 am

idamtnboy wrote:
deltadave wrote:Also, please use the Spellchecker and review for punctuation and grammatical errors prior to posting.
What? And convert his English spelling and grammar to American? Actually I don't recall any misspellings or grammatical errors in Gazhacks posts. It's kind of entertaining reading the English variants of American language!
thank you, I think my grammar is fine? I believe that this post does not need OT: as it is related to sleep. A wee treat for literiture fans from one of the masters

To Sleep
by William Wordsworth

A flock of sheep that leisurely pass by
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky;

I've thought of all by turns, and still I lie
Sleepless; and soon the small birds' melodies
Must hear, first uttered from my orchard trees,
And the first cuckoo's melancholy cry.

Even thus last night, and two nights more I lay,
And could not win thee, Sleep! by any stealth:
So do not let me wear tonight away:

Without Thee what is all the morning's wealth?
Come, blessed barrier between day and day,
Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 am

I get mad, but not enough to upset anyone but myself
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 am

Decent sleep, at least in my case, helps prevent road rage.
--Yes I could have been that grouchy old bat that cut in front of you.
Now, I'm a much nicer driver.

jnk

Post by jnk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Was that Chunkyfrog driving the Batmobile?

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 pm

I envy you all that are at peace with yourself, I on the other hand feel and look like my avatar

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Another probable cause of grumpiness for those with sleep apnea is blood sugar and insulin derangement due to improper diet. Some may be pre-diabetic, overweight or obese, or just lucky they have high metabolism rate to burn off all those bad carbs we eat.

I'm going on South Beach Diet and just finished reading the latest book on it. Some of symptoms of blood sugar instabillity are irritability, short tempers, labile emotions, and depression.

Combine those with chronic sleep deprivation and we're all on the edge of a blowup or meltdown.

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Since my PAP therapy seems to be working, the only things that make me mad now are stupid people and smart people that do stupid things.

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Hmmm...I believe I resemble this thread.

Hee Hee.

I think for someone with the name "Madalot," I'm pretty tame most of the time.

I couldn't resist since so many people here have nicknamed me "Mad" --

Kody

Post by Kody » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:19 pm

This topic reminds me of this guy form the movie Network. After all these years looking back, now I get it, I think he was just suffering from Sleep Apnea like the rest of us..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPX ... re=related
Complex Sleep Apnea

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Fortunately, getting lousy sleep doesn't make me awfully grumpy, just zombie like. You could float a battleship by me in one of my fogs. I must say though, I'm doing a lot better now that my cpap range was adjusted. Even my bad nights aren't as bad as nights prior to my last sleep study. Now, if I don't sleep at all, as in insomnia, we are talking about a whole different kettle of fish. Don't know why lousy sleep and no sleep are that much different but I WILL BE LIKE THIS ALL DAY LONG ON NO SLEEP. On lousy sleep I'm more mumble, mumble, mumble. Ah well, it's good we all have a sense of humor about it all.
Gazhacks wrote:The one thing I find amazing is that with all the tired people on here you only get a sharp remark now and again. You would think that there would be many more rude words being thrown around.

"..and how are you today?" ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You have to laugh because you would soon run out of tears How many times of the day do you shout? For me its too many to count and I have to spend most of the day saying sorry Even my daughter ask mummy if its a grumpy day for daddy today, I can cope with being tired but being grumpy I hate. How about you? ..and please no shouting

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:30 pm

I suppose the conclusion to this post is YES, people do get irate, exasperated, ireful, wrathful, acrimonious, firery, and irritated. (Not mincing my words ) and some have shared theirs with their comments but it seems that most shout at there loved ones, be it a partner or child or even the family pet. My advise would be to find a constructive way of venting your anger. For me it's football, not the American type but the proper kind of football but there are plenty more ways or even better try and talk about your problems your moods and the way you feel its always better to get it off your chest...