12 years on cpap and it's time to move on.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleep2Die4

Re: 12 years on cpap and it's time to move on.

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 am

blakepro wrote: this whole thing seems incredibly fake to me.

I think Corky made up the parts about using CPAP for 12 years and using the software. If he used the software he would have been able to answer the questions about the data. (If he used the software he probably would not have been a CPAP failure.)

Credibility on a forum is important. Right now Corky has none with me.

But I think it is OK that debtheveg swallows Corky's meatless story because diversity of opinion often leads to a good discussion.

corky

Post by corky » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 am

Off to the Dr.'s office. 1st time since implant was put in place. Hope to go back to work soon. Still little sore on my right side and about fed up with the arm sling. Full report on my return. Thanks, Corky

http://www.inspiresleep.com

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:07 pm

He'll come back saying how wonderful it is.

Corky, if you are real...don't get your hopes up too high. We've see these implants and surgeries come and go. Most still need CPAP , but good luck.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:41 pm

If you throw a rope to a drowning man,
he'll grab it even if it's not tied to anything.
But that's a very mean thing to do.

corky

Post by corky » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Next Dr visit is in 3 weeks. All is well. You people are not very nice. Some of are but most of you are not.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Could be some of us are allergic to wool, I'm not bit I still try to keep it out of my eyes, others may not be able to tread water all night. That's why we use a non invasive form of Sleep Apnea treatment we can monitor for ourselves and make sure we are being treated. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

corky

Post by corky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Went back to work today. Been out a week and everything seems to be healing very well. Still alittle
sore. Gotta be sore before you stop the snore.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 pm

I deleted my last post. At this point, I'm abandoning this thread. Corky continues to not answer any forum members questions and keeps everyone hanging while he/she pays mini-visits just enough to keep us coming back. I don't have time for this and neither should anyone else. No more.

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Glad to hear it's going well, Corky. I've spoken to the co-ordinator I'm dealing with and I've passed the first verbal, over-the-phone questions. She said the worse part, where the most pain seems to be, is the tunneling of the lead from the device down the ribs. Otherwise, the few they've done so far are doing really well. One had it taken out due to infection, one because they just didn't like it but otherwise, three years along, the others think it's great, so that's very encouraging. She said some have halved their apneas, some have even lower or eradicated them.

So, now I'm just waiting to see if I'll be accepted for the next stage of a complete physical and history, then an overnight sleep. Part of the criteria to be accepted for the Apnex trials (at least in Australia) are that you have tried CPAP and been unable to use it for some reason.

So, keep us posted, ignore the negative Nellies and I'll let you know how I get on.

corky

Post by corky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks alot deb. Glad the see someone on cpaptalk the has their eyes open. Not so sure why most people on cpaptalk are so hurtful. I've been flighting sleep for over 20 years 12 of those on cpap. I'm only 40 and if this works I'm sure it will add years to my life. ( I hope anyway) . Good luck and please keep me informed on your stuidies. I will keep you up on mine. God bless and take care deb. Corky

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Sleep2Die4 wrote:I think Corky made up the parts about using CPAP for 12 years and using the software. If he used the software he would have been able to answer the questions about the data. (If he used the software he probably would not have been a CPAP failure.)

Credibility on a forum is important. Right now Corky has none with me.
Here is a quote from the MUSC site he/she linked to earlier.
To be eligible for screening and inclusion in the STAR trial, patients must:

• Have failed or not tolerated CPAP

• Have moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea

• Have a body mass index of less than 32
In my thinking, it's possible the information Corky gave the trials people in relation to the first criteria may not coincide 100% with information he/she would have to post here to satisfy our questions. I suspect he/she started on CPAP 12 years ago, used it for several years, and then gave it up for whatever reason, using that cessation as satisfying the first criteria. In that case he/she has not been on CPAP for 12 years as the subject line says. If in fact Corky has been on CPAP for 12 years he/she wouldn't dare give any information that confirms that as that would serve as a disqualifier based on the failed or not tolerated CPAP criteria. Maybe, just maybe, Corky is hell bent on getting off CPAP, and Inspire is so hell bent on getting candidates for their trials, they are working together to fudge the qualifications that meet the criteria and so appear to FDA (or NIH or whoever) auditors to be fully compliant with the rules. If by any chance this is the case then Corky has a real reason to be vague. It may not be a legit reason, but it could be real.

Be aware that when auditors from any Government agency show up to review your books the paper work has to be in order. That will get you a passing grade unless they dig deeper and find problems not evident in the paperwork. I used to do audits of quality programs of government contractors, and developed what I called the "P" principle. "The Presence of Perfect Paperwork doesn't Preclude the Presence of Piss Poor Performance."

There's no question in my mind the clinical trials are real, and that Corky is a real person who is a real candidate in the program. But his/her participation in the clinical trials may not be 100% above board.

corkyd

Post by corkyd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 am

For the record i'm male

So Well

Post by So Well » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:07 am

corkyd wrote:For the record i'm male
Why did you lie about using the software?
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Jordy

Post by Jordy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 am

So Well wrote:
corkyd wrote:For the record i'm male
Why did you lie about using the software?
I don't see him lieing about using software. I don't see anywhere in this post where he says he used software. CK made a statement about people who used software don't fail CPAP after 12 years.

But you know, I can tell you my pressure setting. But I don't remember my original AHI, It was in the 70's.. I believe. I also don't check the machine listed AHI everyday any more, nor the leak rate.. Somedays yes. But not all days. And I don't have the software avaible to track how I am doing.

It's possible Corky does not have a data capable machine. Perhaps he is not a big forum poster, he did answer our question about his AHI, etc. He said he did not remember. Honestly if it was a troller I would expect them to add a little more detail.

I think we as a forum community have become jaded to newcommers due to the trolls that have come by and distracted our attention. Perhaps this Corky is a real person, just wanting to share his experance in his endevars. He said 12 years on cpap and time to move on. He did not come in and say, Hey guys.. CPAP sucks.. You all suck.. I am doing this and you should too.... All he did was come in and say he is moving away from a CPAP to this new treatment. And if it works for him, Great!!! That will be wonderfull, because yes CPAP or BIPAP's do indeed suck! Well I guess they accully blow..

Anyhow, Just a couple of my thoughts as I have lurked and watched this thread progress.

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree Jordy! I don't know why anyone who dares look for an alternative to CPAP gets attacked ... it's a funny attitude to take! I've had it happen to me before when asking about didgeridoos etc. It would seem that those who love their CPAPs LOVE their CPAPs. Good for them but they needn't be so negative and downright rude and nasty. We should be grateful to Corky and those like him who divulge information from which we can all learn.