New ASV user, frustrated and a bit confused.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mary Z

Re: New ASV user, frustrated and a bit confused.

Post by Mary Z » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am

I use the FitLife Total Face Mask, but am currently on Bilevel. I have very little problem with leaks.
They allowed me to use the FitLife during my trial of ASV. During my sleep study with ASV the mask had some bad leaks as the pressure really ramped up. I know ResMed only recommends certain of their masks to be used with ASV. I am starting the process to get ASV and will report back on the mask issue. I have bad problems with breakdown on the bridge of my nose (I do prefer FFMs and am a mouth breather) so I really hope I can continue to use the FitLife with my ASV.

barbnotdeadyet@yahoo.com

Post by barbnotdeadyet@yahoo.com » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:59 pm

I just solved a problen like this for my mother ... I took 2 face mask liners + sandwiched a piece of PELLAM between them. Secured both sides w/fabric glue + cut the outline of the liner. Mask fit perfectly, no irritation, no leakage. She had just had a stroke + was left w/a bit of a droop on 1 side.

You can find PELLAM in most fabric stores, craft stores, etc. It comes in several thicknesses + is really wide; you'll only need 6-8" of it. It is used as a batting for comforters + lining heavy coats, etc. It is washable - but I'd stick to hand washing.

Hope this helps!

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm

barbnotdeadyet@yahoo.com wrote:I just solved a problen like this for my mother ... I took 2 face mask liners + sandwiched a piece of PELLAM between them. Secured both sides w/fabric glue + cut the outline of the liner. Mask fit perfectly, no irritation, no leakage. She had just had a stroke + was left w/a bit of a droop on 1 side.

You can find PELLAM in most fabric stores, craft stores, etc. It comes in several thicknesses + is really wide; you'll only need 6-8" of it. It is used as a batting for comforters + lining heavy coats, etc. It is washable - but I'd stick to hand washing.

Hope this helps!
Barb - who is not dead yet - - I *love* the idea. One thing I've noted is that throughout the night the contour of my face changes. I suspect that as I go deeper in sleep my muscles relax more. I know my mouth opens - which also changes the contour of my face. Additionally, this would allow the mask and face to change independently and would act to "caulk" between the face and mask. Brilliant. I will have to try this. It might also be the type of thing that Pad-A-Cheek would like to create for those of us using ASV units.

THANK YOU for sharing this excellent idea. I *WILL* try it. My wife quilts, so this should be pretty easy for me to put together form scraps.... BRILLIANT!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

sandman19

Post by sandman19 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm

David T, Welcome to the forum. As usual, you have received a lot of excellent help-our forum is great that way. I am completing two weeks on the PR REMstar System One Auto SV Advanced with moderate beginning pressures. I leaked too much with nasal pillows and the Hybrid didn't fit well. In three nights I am very comfortable with the Mirage Quattro. With comments here on the forum, a video and my RT, I lossened everything up, I let it "fill" when I turn my ASV on, and gently finesse the mask onto my face. Although I sleep on my sides I lie on my for 10 minutes or so to let the mask warm up, do a short meditation to get my face muscles relaxed and gently make any small adjustments needed-usually none. When the mask is "rocking" with my inspirations/expirations and floating on my face, I can turn on my sides and sleep. Remember, FINESSE!

Are you using a ramp to help ease into the pattern of the ASV? Many people like it.

My wife and I both have problems mainly with central hypopneas and apneas-hence the ASV. However, we have many of them in Stage One sleep while we still have some awareness-may even think we are awake. In that state it seems strange at first to have the machine ramping up so much to help us breath through the centrals were are not aware of. I now think of it as my "friend" that will work so I can totally relax and sleep. I actually enjoy putting the mask on and letting the machine take over while I drift into Morpheus.

Good luck!

Sandman19 (I will get the machine info listed soone).

DavidT

Post by DavidT » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment on my posts and for offering encouragement. Last night I had my most successful experience yet. I made it just over 5 hours on the machine and had an AHI of 2.74. I had no Apneas, according to the data from the machine. The mole skin helped my nose somewhat and we'll see how it goes tonight. I'll try to relax and let the machine do the work tonight.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 am

It sounds as if you are off to a good start. You can see why we agree that the transition to sleep can take some adjustment. It still awakens me when the pressure ramps up. But it no longer alarms me. Instead, you will probably come to welcome it, since you know sleep will soon follow.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Snooozer

Post by Snooozer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:07 am

I am fairly new to a full face mask too and was having leak problems. I ordered the sample pack of Remzzzs and was so pleased I have now ordered a months supply. May try to make some of my own as suggested on other posts eventually. They are very soft on the skin and I rarely have a leak now. My pressure isn't too high though (8), so I can't speak for higher pressures. Hang in there, you'll find a combination that works for you and you will be snoozing away.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:43 pm

DavidT wrote:I have tried putting the mask on and watching tv. As I sit there watching tv, it blasts me...I'm wide awake and haven't stopped breathing as I watched tv...I guess just not breathing often enough.??
A number of folk have recommended other full face masks for you. I was, and am, claustrophobic. I cannot stand having THINGS on my cheeks. The idea of a chin strap really freaked me out. I tried taping and nearly panicked myself through the roof.

There are two masks which work for me -- the Respironics Comfortlite 2, and the Aeiomed Headrest. I'm using the Headrest more often because it's smaller and cooler, and I'm dealing with a bunch of sudden heat flashes as a result of hormonal issues from my cancer surgery. (The bed fan, available from our hosts, helps.)

Now, I did need a chinstrap, but I designed and built my own -- I took a 4" diameter piece of hard foam, cut a piece 4" long, and drilled a hole with an apple corer through the center. Then I made a strap -- I currently use half of a worn-out CL2 strap to go through the center, and covered the foam with fleece from Pad-a-Cheek. Strap goes around my neck, and the foam tucks under my chin like a St. Bernard's brandy keg.

I also lab-ratted the Headrest (which has to be the most lab-ratted mask in the history of CPAPTalk) but cutting off the thick rubber straps and putting a CL2 strap on it, using an extra strip of velcro to hold the forward straps over the mask.

Having gotten this rigged, I attempted to sleep... and discovered that as I was falling asleep, my breathing got shallower and slower and shallower and slower. I'd never noticed it before. So I started consciously breathing. And counting my breaths, like sheep.

Typically, I would drift off to sleep, only to wake a couple hours later. So I'd start counting again, and drift off... to wake a couple hours after that.

Eventually, I apparently managed to train myself not to slow and shallow my breathing while I was falling asleep, because I didn't get the BLAST of air that some people report. Sometimes, I've awakened and wondered if the machine was even on.

Oh, I should note that I'm a side sleeper, and the CL2 and Headrest are ideal for that.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5