OT: Low Carb eating--What is there to eat?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

Re: OT: Low Carb eating--What is there to eat?!

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:38 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:So what kind of soy is bad? Like soy milk or soy protein shakes?
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert has some good points about what's bad about soy -- and links to plenty of articles.

I don't do soy because I have this tendency to stop breathing if I consume it. And for some odd reason, I'm fond of breathing.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:45 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Admittedly I am not 100% committed to either low carb eating or to spending time figuring out what to eat or to preparing it... That said, I can't look at any more eggs or salads! And I need to have easy, quick snacks or food that I can grab and go. Is there such a thing? It's so easy to grab carbs. They are so grabable. Why are low carb food items so not grabable?! (Or is it grabbable? I know it's not a word, but with the vowel-consonant ending, I think I should be doubling that last consonant, no?)

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I'm going to look for something to eat. Maybe some celery with almond butter...
Lots of stuff.

Pemmican bars are meat and fat and very good.

Pork rinds are quick and easy.

I've been testing some coconut wraps for fast roll-ups.

Almond flour crackers are good.

Homemade cheese crisps are tasty.

Coconut flour breads, crackers and PIZZA!!! are delicious.

I haven't touched any grains, potatoes, sugar, other starches, or artificial sweeteners in over ten years.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Sleepingigly wrote: I have been buying the fat free plain Greek yogurt at Trader Joe's. This does not have more carbs than the ones with more fat, and it has the lowest carbs I've seen on any plain yogurt. Given that it does not have more carbs than higher fat ones, isn't it better to eat the fat-free one?
In response...
drdrew wrote:dont forget to EAT THE FAT.

the fat keeps you satisfied.

real fat is NOT BAD FOR YOU.

you will lose more eating a fat laiden rib eye than a skinless chicken breast....if you do it right.

fat is good.

dont believe the hype.
You can't embrace the newer regime: Low carbs
And the old regime: Low fat...at the same time.

I think you're a little bit stuck in the old regime.

We eat food to sustain us. We need calories. Fat is inert regarding insulin triggering. Everything in moderation but I agree with DrDrew....fat is good.
J

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Get the whole milk yogurt if they have it. It will be lower carb and the fat satisfies your hunger and slows absorbtion, AND IT TASTES BETTER!
The key to low carb is that fat isn't bad. In the absence of exess carbohydrates, fat doesn't make you fat.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Lizistired wrote:Get the whole milk yogurt if they have it. It will be lower carb and the fat satisfies your hunger and slows absorbtion, AND IT TASTES BETTER!
The key to low carb is that fat isn't bad. In the absence of exess carbohydrates, fat doesn't make you fat.
Why bother with hoping the grocery will stock whole milk yogurt?

Get a Yogourmet and make your own yogurt, a half gallon at a time, out of whole milk. Ferment it for at least 24 hours, which removes all the lactose. Chill it for 8 hours. Then drip ir drain it down to half the amount which removes quite a bit of the galactose (a by-product of the break-down of the lactose). Mmmm...

And while you're at it, get a half gallon of half and half, make the 24 hour yogurt, chill, then drip it, and you only lose about 2 cups of liquid from this. You can then make superior Ranch Dressing, or Honey-Vanilla topping for the occasional sweet dessert, or use it like cream cheese on a coconut flour bun...

IF you can find whole cream which isn't mucked up with gums and thickeners (which are starches), you can make yogurt out of that, and that is almost so sinfully delicious, you'll wonder you ever missed your carbs!

Even the drippings are useful, 'cause you can use them to make lacto-fermented vegetables and fruits.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Pap365

Post by Pap365 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:49 am

Kiralynx wrote:Coconut flour breads, crackers and PIZZA!!! are delicious.
Are coconut flour baked goods gluten free? Where do you get them? Can you substitute coconut flour for wheat flour in recipes? Thanks!
Formerly Newbieinohio

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:14 am

There are completely dairy free protein powders made of hemp, rice ( not sure of the carb count) or egg. WF has a shelf full of alternatives, all very pricey. Some people make protein drinks by simply tossing in a raw egg (preferably from a "pastured" chicken) Of course that is risky from a food safety standpoint, so it's not really recommended, especially if you are immunocompromised.

I avoid soy because it is a phytoestrogen (acts like the hormone, estrogen, in the body). And fermented soy is not necessarily better. One study showed men in Japan who eat more tofu have higher rates of dementia. Since I have PCOS, estrogen like compound are the last thing I need!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:11 am

I noticed a lot of people using SALT to flavor up bland low-carb foods. Any one with high blood pressure or on antihypertensive should consume no more than 1500 mg of sodium a day. Too much sodium will make you retain water, increase your blood pressure, cause swelling of hands and feet, and of course, increase your weight due to extra water retention.

So hide the salt shaker and try Mrs. Dash or some other substitute.

BTW. I found that staying under 1500 mg of sodium to be a real challenge with preprepared food, eating out, and snacking. I hardly ever eat out now as I can control the sodium content.

howkim

Post by howkim » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

jamiswolf wrote:It's a mainstay in oriental diets and they tend to have better cardiovascular health then us westerners.
I wish I still had the citation, but several (something like 10) years ago, some research was published that indicated that in Japan, the average daily consumption of soy ranged around 28 grams, and was used more like a condiment. One teaspoon is 28 grams.

I am not a mushroom.

drdrew

Post by drdrew » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 am

Kiralynx wrote:
Lizistired wrote:Get the whole milk yogurt if they have it. It will be lower carb and the fat satisfies your hunger and slows absorbtion, AND IT TASTES BETTER!
Why bother with hoping the grocery will stock whole milk yogurt?

Get a Yogourmet and make your own yogurt, a half gallon at a time, out of whole milk. Ferment it for at least 24 hours, which removes all the lactose. Chill it for 8 hours. Then drip ir drain it down to half the amount which removes quite a bit of the galactose (a by-product of the break-down of the lactose). Mmmm...

And while you're at it, get a half gallon of half and half, make the 24 hour yogurt, chill, then drip it, and you only lose about 2 cups of liquid from this. You can then make superior Ranch Dressing, or Honey-Vanilla topping for the occasional sweet dessert, or use it like cream cheese on a coconut flour bun...

IF you can find whole cream which isn't mucked up with gums and thickeners (which are starches), you can make yogurt out of that, and that is almost so sinfully delicious, you'll wonder you ever missed your carbs!

Even the drippings are useful, 'cause you can use them to make lacto-fermented vegetables and fruits.
brilliant i must now look up this device!!!

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm

You guys are so motivated. I couldn't be less interested in the kitchen and anything that happens therein... I always said I'd marry someone who cooks, and I did, but I don't think he has time or inclination to make yogurt.

When I review this thread in my mind, I think, "Crickets. Pork rinds." Why are those the two most salient things that come to mind?! Also, it doesn't help my motivation to think I have to do all low-carb or it won't work. Kind of makes me think, "If that's true, to hell with this low carb thing". That can't be true, though, can it?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi SU,
I understand your feelings. Diet issues are so complicated and new research contradicting old beliefs comes out all the time. Hard to know what to believe. Butter or margerine? Hi fat vs low fat? It just goes on and on.

I see know reason why following low carb 25% of the time wouldn't provide 25% of the benefits. Just try and minimize large carb loads...
J

Edit: I realized a clarification was needed. If a person is following a strict low carb weight loss diet like the original Atkins diet...then cheating with carbs can blow the whole thing. But my comments above were for general health/lifestyle guidelines. Then just shoot for doing the best you can.
Last edited by jamiswolf on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 pm

My mouth is watering.
This thread goes on my favorites bar.
Thanks, everyone.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm

SU - thanks for posting the start of a great discussion. I think we are all wired a bit differently and what works for one person may not work for another but there are some common elements here that provide good guidelines.

Many years ago I stopped all grains, sugars and dairy (and all junk and fast foods) in an effort to overcome ulcerative colitis and I was very successful at doing so. I was overweight at the time but weight loss was not a goal. As I progressed with those dietary changes I was shocked at how fast I shed the excess weight.

I tend to get overwhelmed with too much analysis of carbs, protein, glycemic index etc but for me a well balanced diet with the above exclusions has worked great. At one time I made muffins with almond flour and they were great. Now I just don't have any desire for any grains at all.

For weight loss, I don't think there is a magic bullet. For me, "calories in & calories expended" has always made a lot of sense. I have been using an app called "Lose It" and it has been wonderful. You can even program in your own recipes and it will calculate calories per serving. It calculates for height, current weight, goal weight and calories burned through exercise. I just log in daily and I now have a real good sense of where the excess calories are coming from.

I have been drinking some shakes that are 99.8% lactose free. It is called Absorb Plus and it has also instrumental in keeping bowel inflammation at bay. http://www.absorbplus.com/index.php
This is from a company that has developed a great protocol for treating bowel disease for anyone who might need that help.

I also cannot tolerate soy - it must be an individual thing. Hmm - pringles and crickets, think I'll go grab some popcorn, that's my downfall.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Robert Lustig was just on NPR's Science Friday.