I want to scream and cry!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
macewa

I want to scream and cry!

Post by macewa » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:50 pm

To start with, I know that I must use my BiPap to have any quality of life and I want to use my BiPap.

Prior to my sugery I was having problem with my mask because I have to pull it so tight in order not to have leaks. Because of that I ended up with nose pain every day that became a bad headache as well as the day wore on. I went back on my BiPap this week and and the nose pain I get is awful, and when combined with not being totally healed, it really gets intolerable. I just want to scream!

Last night I made the decision to only use oxygen and not my BiPap because my nose pain was so bad that I just couldn't deal with trying to wear the mask again. I wonder if taking tylenol 3 would cause a bad effect while using the BiPap? I know I must use the machine and as I wrote I want to use the machine, but don't know how to get beyond this pain problem. The pain I get using my mask (and this is my 3rd mask) is so much worse than anything I had after my surgery. I made a liner the other night and it just seemed to make things worse and I ended up taking it and throwing it away. I have cut out another one and plan to try again tonight. The liner will help with the leaks, but it doesn't help at all with the pain. And I get so dry (even with the humidifier) that my throat and mouth feels like someone has planted knives in it. But compared to the nose pain, that is not that serious.

I was in tears today because I know I cannot have any quality of life if I can't get past this - and because of the pain I end up with, I dread going to bed.

I am going to go by the DME on Thursday and talk with her because she has really tried to help me. I do have the name of a couple of other types of full face masks that I will ask her about. Thanks for "listening." I have no one here I can tak to.

archangle

Re: I want to scream and cry!

Post by archangle » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Have you looked at a total face mask? https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html

You might be able to use an oral mask, but ask your doctor first. It depends on you being able to keep your nose "closed." It's hard to explain, but it's the same thing you do if you close your mouth, then blow air into your mouth to puff out your cheeks without letting air leak out of your nose. My concern in your case is whether it would put pressure on anything inside your nose that is still sensitive. If you close your mouth, and gently blow air into your mouth without letting it leak out of your nose, does it hurt? (Like I say, ask the doctor caring for your surgery.)

I find the Oracle HC452 hard to handle because it dries out my throat, but I had no trouble keeping my nose closed. It comes with some nose plug things to use when you start, but in theory, you should be able to learn to keep air from coming out of your nose without the plugs pretty quickly.

A hybrid mask might work, but it does press on the end of your nose.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 am

Please read forum member, Janknitz's blog on Taming the Quattro: http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/taming ... e-quattro/ I don't use that mask, but I've read enough to know it is one of the more difficult ones to fit and get comfortable with. And I also know that making it super tight is not the answer.... masks are supposed to 'float' on the face to a degree. You should also try other masks to see if you can find one that accommodates you better. If your DME doesn't give you a new mask to try, you could use the mask trial service that Dane has at http://www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-trials.html where you can get any mask he has available to try out for a week for only $14 roundtrip shipping costs. I know you said this is the third mask, but for some folks, it may take trying a dozen before they find 'the one.'

Look on the first aid aisle of your pharmacy for the cushy 'blister' bandaids.... use one on the bridge of your nose. Those band aids are silicon and have a good cushiness to them.. they may even help block any air leaks in that area. I say that because I used them with a nasal mask back when I first started my therapy in 2010. I then moved on to the Swift LT nasal pillow mask which has been 'perfect' for me ever since. While you are in the pharmacy, look for the Biotene products by the toothpaste/mouthwash stuff. Biotene is an excellent product to combat dry mouth. It comes in a gel, spray, or mouthwash. With a FFM, it is interesting that you are having the dry mouth/throat issue.... so I wonder if you are doing more mouth breathing than nose breathing....or snoring?

What is your data showing, if you are using software? What are your pressure settings....with a bipap, I presume they are fairly high (thus making the leak issue worse). Best of luck....glad you have a DME you like.... I hope she can help you remedy these problems.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

SleepingDVader

Post by SleepingDVader » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 am

Sorry to hear about all the difficulties. I also have the Mirage Quattro and probably would have quit using it altogether if it weren't for the Boomerang gel pads. The gel pads are about 1/8" thick and lay across the bridge of your nose and help cushion where the mask rests and also helps seal leaks in that area. You might want to give them a try. I was getting quite a blister on the bridge of my nose and lots of pain. Not a problem anymore. Also, I learned that if you get the starter pack you wind up with two of the gel pads (one large and one small) for about 5 bucks more and mine last about a month before mysteriously starting to leak. The small works every bit as well as the large btw. Good luck with your therapy and hope this helps.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:44 am

Try the gel pads. I have constantly heard that the Quatro leaks real bad. For the life of me, I never could understand why someone would fight a mask that you know will leak on you. If you can't use a nasal, and the the full face ain't workin' ... I know I'll get beat up here for this... but try the Philips Fitlife Total Face mask. It may look scary, but the nose sores (inside and outside) are gone. For the sake of possibly being unsucessful in cpap therapy, you owe it to yourself to try it on at the DME. Have the DME hook up a cpap machines at your setting. See how it feels.

Keep us updated on your journey.

Sheriff

macewa

Post by macewa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 am

I am going to ask about this maskwhen I go in. Thanks.
Sheriff Buford wrote:Try the gel pads. I have constantly heard that the Quatro leaks real bad. For the life of me, I never could understand why someone would fight a mask that you know will leak on you. If you can't use a nasal, and the the full face ain't workin' ... I know I'll get beat up here for this... but try the Philips Fitlife Total Face mask. It may look scary, but the nose sores (inside and outside) are gone. For the sake of possibly being unsucessful in cpap therapy, you owe it to yourself to try it on at the DME. Have the DME hook up a cpap machines at your setting. See how it feels.

Keep us updated on your journey.

Sheriff

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 am

I was initially issued a Mirage Quattro. I tried it twice; baaad, baaaad experience. Tried several other masks before settling on a Swift LT. Later switched to Swift FX which I now use. I would have given up therapy if the Mirage Quattro had been the only mask available.

If you can breathe through your nose, I HIGHLY recommend trying a nasal pillows type mask if such a mask is compatible with using oxygen. I think you'll be glad you did.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 am

Try the Hybrid by respcare. It doesn't come near the bridge of your nose and fits many odd shaped faces that the quatro doesn't.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 am

Good morning macewa.

Understand that all masks (full, nasal and pillows) are not created equal. If you're considering going FFM, another you may want to try also is mine, click on my link. Once I got it fitted correctly, I haven't had too many problems with it. Recently had to correct some mask farts, that's about all. It's been good to me.

Starlette

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:22 am

Hubby wears a fitlife--I envy his extremely low leak rates.
This is with a FULL BEARD.
His whiskers form a curl around the bottom and lower sides that lasts all day--very sexy!

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am

Macewa,
I understand your frustration, What I hate is when I occasionally get into a state where i'm tired and foggy but can't get to sleep either. Everybody has some difficulty and often it has to do with mask fit.

For me the Quattro was a breakthrough. It fits me great and fewer leaks then any other mask I tried. No question that you're pulling your straps too tight. Definitely read the Taming the Quattro write-up linked above. It takes practice but can be made to work. Good luck...
Jamis

pickuptruck

Post by pickuptruck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Change Masks!!! Continue to change until you find the One that really works for you!!!

macewa

Post by macewa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks to all of you that responded with suggestions on a mask. I have written them down and will talk with my DME about them.

Today I went to see my DME to get the meter thing for the oxygen test. We are testing me while on my mask to see if I'm getting enough oxygen.

While there I told her about my problems and she sent me to my doctor (15 minutes away) to get a RX to change my settings as needed without new Rx. I know I could do this myself, but since she is going to help me get squared away, meaning a new mask that works for me, I'm going to let her do her thing. She has been a Godsend to me through this whole process. We are going to change me to a much lower setting - see how I do and if I needs to be higher we will slowly start raising my numbers. My biggest problem with the masks is that my air pressure is so strong that they have all leaked terribly. Both the DME and my ENT think my pressure is too high. I am feeling cautiously optimistic tonight. My nose hurts and I totally dread going to sleep tonight, but will use my machine and do the test. So, now it's not just my eyes that will be looking at my daily data graphs. I know that I am so fortunate to have found these two people that are more than willing to work with me to get me where I need to be. The ENT is my 3rd sleep doctor since I started back in August. But if the doctor doesn't listen to me and show he/she wants to help me, they will not longer get my money whether out of my pocket or from insurance.
BlackSpinner wrote:Try the Hybrid by respcare. It doesn't come near the bridge of your nose and fits many odd shaped faces that the quatro doesn't.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 am

I saw your comment about your cpap pressure being "so strong" that the mask leaks. What is your prescribed pressure setting? Keep in mind the large variety of masks are made for cpap pressure. That being said, a mask will leak at higher pressures and not leak at lower pressures. In my mind the mask has to be compatible to the contour of your face and not necessarily to the pressure setting. That's why a mask will leak real bad with one person and not with another.

Sheriff

macewa

Post by macewa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm on a BiPap and my top number was 22 and bottom 17. Today they lower it to 17/10. We will see. Don't know if this will give me the therapy I need, but I sure hope so. I've had to put my mask on so tight that the straps in the back would overlap. I'd wake up in the morning and feel like a truck hit me. The DME said it's because my body is fighting the air pressures. She has been saying my numbers were way to high and so did my ENT. But . . . there had to be a reason for the initial doctor to put them there. I will find out soon enough.
Sheriff Buford wrote:I saw your comment about your cpap pressure being "so strong" that the mask leaks. What is your prescribed pressure setting? Keep in mind the large variety of masks are made for cpap pressure. That being said, a mask will leak at higher pressures and not leak at lower pressures. In my mind the mask has to be compatible to the contour of your face and not necessarily to the pressure setting. That's why a mask will leak real bad with one person and not with another.

Sheriff