Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rocklin

Re: poisoned by water chamber plastic fumes

Postby rocklin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 pm

ems wrote:there really is such a word as, "checkable"!

Certainly in hockey.
It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

Kairosgrammy

Postby Kairosgrammy on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 am

I wish I knew where these folks come from. Hmmmm???? If I had to make a guess, I'd say the "funny farm".

rocklin wrote:
torontoCPAPguy wrote:It appears that the original poster has left the board?

1. For a few (days? weeks?) a bizarre, over-caffeinated troll machine-guns our board like Al Pacino in Scarface . . .then disappears into the night.

2. Another stranger appears, touting this "smoking fumes" problem, and decides to use this board as the launching pad for a very serious allegation against ResMed.

3. We have over 30,000 members, and it seems exactly none of them experience the same problem.

4. Then, as quickly as she appeared, the "smoking fume" poster disappears into the night.

5. Magically, another stranger appears.

6. Neither stranger lists a PM, so there is no way to communicate with them privately.

5. Neither lists any of the names at ResMed that they claim to have contacted.

6. Neither lists a doctor's name, or the name of a DME . . . or anything that is tangible or checkable in any way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

7. The last straw, imho:

Both "smoking fume" posters claim that they continued to use the tank after the first night, when the alleged fumes scorched their lungs.

For me, this last is the final nail in the coffin.

Can a single one of us here imagine using our water tanks for even another minute if the damn thing produced smoke and burned our lungs?

(looking around the room)

Can I see a show of hands?

Anyone?

OK, Grateful Dead fans, very funny, you can put down your hands now.

;)

chunkyfrog

Postby chunkyfrog on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 am

You can't claim brain damage if it was pre-existing.

Link to medicare suppliers, by zip code: http://www.medicare.gov/Supplier

GrantT

Postby GrantT on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:37 am

nanwilson wrote:
GrantT wrote:Grant
Perhaps you should look at the dates on that recall....way back in 07 and 09, and I believe it was for a leaking humidifier.
Not only that, it was for an M series Pro...they no longer make the Mseries..it was discontinued on 2010.

Sorry, I don't see the relevance. These machines are supposed to last at least 5 years....and many seem to use them longer than that. That makes is completely feasible there are many currently out there, no? I'm just implying that UNTIL the recall, it was possible that someone noticed something (or didn't) and got told he/she was nuts UNTIL the manufacturer realized there was a bad batch...who knows.

To totally disregard the possibility seems kinda stupid to me considering you use this machine to breath 1/3 of your daily oxygen.

Anyways, I'm just a believer in "Anything is possible". Everyone is an expert on internet forums. From my point of view, it either happened, or it didn't. Nothing I have read here seems to prove anything one way or another, but since it is not POSSIBLE to prove a negative....i.e. no one can prove it DIDN'T happen, so unless it DOES happen again/repeatedly or the manufacturer admits something or recalls something, this topic really is kinda dead. My last post on it anyways.

Grant

ems

Postby ems on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 am

Kairosgrammy wrote:I wish I knew where these folks come from. Hmmmm???? If I had to make a guess, I'd say the "funny farm".

Do you mean THE "Funny Farm"... that successful TV show back in the nineties? It was a really funny show... I watch the reruns all the time.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Kody

Postby Kody on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 am

rocklin wrote:

1. For a few (days? weeks?) a bizarre, over-caffeinated troll machine-guns our board like Al Pacino in Scarface . . .then disappears into the night.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That about sums it up perfectly.
Complex Sleep Apnea

Wulfman...
Also Posted As:
(Wulfman...)

Postby Wulfman... on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:07 am

This whole thread has been "strange".
In the first place, NOBODY (that I've been able to find in the postings) asked her what kind of mask she was using or suggested to the OP that she was probably leaking everything out her mouth.......air and water. She increased her HH setting close to the max and then (supposedly) ran out of water. The whole set of circumstances and her description suggests to me that she WAS expelling the water out her mouth (mouth-leaking). If this only happened on one night, it couldn't have been the whole night as the humidifier would have retained some of the water through most of the night. My (semi-educated) guess would be that her throat irritation (redness, cough, etc.) came from mouth-leaking/breathing. Her immediate reaction was to blame the machine, manufacturer and whoever else she could think of. I seriously doubt that there will be any long-lasting ill effects to her and we will probably never hear from her with follow-up information.

Den

Kairosgrammy

Postby Kairosgrammy on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:25 am

I'm not sure. I don't remember it. I kinda mean :lol: for no logical reason or just plain :twisted: or any variation in between. They're coming to take me away, hee he, They're coming to take me away ho ho!!!

ems wrote:
Kairosgrammy wrote:I wish I knew where these folks come from. Hmmmm???? If I had to make a guess, I'd say the "funny farm".

Do you mean THE "Funny Farm"... that successful TV show back in the nineties? It was a really funny show... I watch the reruns all the time.

neverbetter

Postby neverbetter on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:13 pm

I think she should check on the FDA website to see if there are similar complaints. If not (and assuming this is real), file one. Stuff does happen. I had a machine that was recalled for catching fire. Mine never did, but it happens. We shouldn't discourage people from reporting faulty products to warn us. What could her motive be for making it up ? Money ?....I mean, it couldn't as simple as claiming whiplash. Resmed would keep her in court for 10 years...

Wulfman...
Also Posted As:
(Wulfman...)

Postby Wulfman... on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 pm

I think "Kairosgrammy" may have been making references to this........
(for those who are too young to know about this interesting/novelty musical rendition from 1966)

Den

"They're Coming To Take Me Away" - by "Xiv Napoleon" (aka Jerry Samuels)

Remember when you ran away
And I got on my knees and begged you
Not to leave because I´d go beserk?
WELL,

You left me anyhow and
Then the days got worse and worse
And now you see I´ve gone completely
out of my mind

AND

(chorus 1):
They´re coming to take me away,
Haha, they´re coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I´ll be happy to see
Those nice young men
In their clean white coats
And they´re coming to take me AWAY,
HA HAAAA

You thought it was a joke,
and so you LAUGHED, YOU LAUGHED!
When I had said that losing you
Would make me flip my lid,

RIGHT?

You know you laughed.
I HEARD you laugh, you laughed
And laughed and laughed
And then you left,
But now you know I´m utterly mad

AND

(chorus 2):
They´re coming to take me away,
Haha, they´re coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,
To the happy home with trees and flowers
And chirping birds and basket weavers
Who sit and smile and
Twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they´re coming to take me away,
HAHAAAAAAAAA

I cooked your food,
I cleaned your house,
And this is how you pay me back
For all my kind unselfish loving deeds

HUH?

Well, you just wait,
They´ll find you yet,
And when they do, they´ll put you in
the ASPCA, you mangy MUTT,

AND

(chorus 1)
(chorus 2)
(chorus 1 trailing into mumbles in the distance)

torontoCPAPguy

Postby torontoCPAPguy on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm

neverbetter wrote:I think she should check on the FDA website to see if there are similar complaints. If not (and assuming this is real), file one. Stuff does happen. I had a machine that was recalled for catching fire. Mine never did, but it happens. We shouldn't discourage people from reporting faulty products to warn us. What could her motive be for making it up ? Money ?....I mean, it couldn't as simple as claiming whiplash. Resmed would keep her in court for 10 years...

Recall or not, I can tell you from years (35) of experience in the electronics industry, like the printing industry, SHEETS HAPPEN. ULC, FDA, UL, CSA, Hydro, etc., approvals mean only that a good sampling of the product has been tested under the harshest of conditions. A bad batch of components, a mistrained assembly line worker not knowing how to use a soldering station, an inventory control clerk substituting a wrong part, the fickle finger of The Great Architect of the Universe; there are so many variables that could have caused this problem that IMHO IT IS INDEED POSSIBLE for it to happen. No question.

I have seen it with my own eyes many times, trust me.

So, when picking a story apart, we need to be somewhat gentle as although it seems a long shot or an improbability, ANYTHING is possible under the right conditions.

If I were to tell you that 20 feet of my fence disappeared 3 years ago along with an extension ladder and all of my backyard furniture, what would you be thinking if I said it was a tornado but that not a shingle on my roof was damaged on 10 feet away? Now add to this a 50ft. high tree in my neighbor's yard being hauled up by its roots and deposited right between our houses and what would you think. Maybe time to get my head read? Well, it happened. And as an avid ham radio operator, my wife and I both, we have a 75 foot antenna support structure (tower) at the back of our house. No problem. Untouched. yet the antenna on top was also untouched..... but twirled so strongly that it ground the gears inside the antenna rotor to bits. Go figure.

If I were to tell you that lightening never strikes twice in the same spot what would you say if I added that it does. Out hit 15 years ago did 'minor' damage to our property and electronics and we chose NOT to file a claim. Three years later lightening struck bigtime and resulted in a $40K claim for damage, which we DID file. The telephone wiring in the house was mostly vapourized and the breaker panel had to be completely replaced, along with a bunch of wiring. Walls were broken open for inspections. (I know.... you'd say don't stand next to me).

So my point is simply that all is possible and some of us have less communications skills than others. Must be taken with a grain of salt.

I question the disappearance of the poster though and that is about the only thing that makes me think that it was a troll.

Who knows?

There was no joining date, no other information in the post at all. That makes me wonder. Who knows?

I think that we have to take much with a grain of salt. Not all are internet savvy. Let's not scare folks in genuine need of assistance away. Best wait for a pattern to develop over several threads before pulling the plug and asking moderators to remove the poster?

Additional Comments: Respironics Everflo Q infusing O2 into APAP line to maintain 95% SaO2; MaxTec Maxflo2 Oxygen Analyzer; Contec CMS50E Recording Pulse Oxymeter
Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

billbolton

Postby billbolton on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:So my point is simply that all is possible....

William of Ockam developed a response to that argument centuries ago :idea:

NightMonkey

Postby NightMonkey on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:14 pm

NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

motherall

Postby motherall on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:09 am

This morning was about the third time I woke up because the water chamber was empty. I wan't really ready to get up but the odor was unpleasant, not noxious. It reminds me of the smell of a hot iron left too long on fabric, not burned but hot. I seldom ran out of water with my old cpap but I also woke up with my mouth "cemented" shut where I had to wiggle my little finger between my lips to sip water to open my mouth. Being diabetic, I was concerned dental wise. My dentist had suggested several solutions, none of which were successful but he too felt this was a danger to my mouth and gums. The S9 is pure delight moisture-wise but I do use a full container of water nearly every night. My pressure is 10, temp 72, humidity 3 with climate hose.

torontoCPAPguy

Postby torontoCPAPguy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:54 pm

I have the same setup but do not go through nearly as much water. Strange.
Am also diabetic and my dentist is telling me that it is killing my teeth. I am about to drop big bucks for implants. Sheesh.

Additional Comments: Respironics Everflo Q infusing O2 into APAP line to maintain 95% SaO2; MaxTec Maxflo2 Oxygen Analyzer; Contec CMS50E Recording Pulse Oxymeter
Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)