VERY DRY mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
diamondman

VERY DRY mouth

Post by diamondman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:06 am

I am very new to using a CPAP device (approximately 1 month), but I am desperate to make this work, for the past 2 years, I have had virtually no sleep....I am an American, living in Switzerland, and must say that the sleeping clinic & doctors are first rate...however, even during 2 overnight stays in the sleep clinic, I wake up every 45 minutes with an extremely dry mouth...I have a full face mask, very comfortable and no leaks. The CPAP machine (Weinmann Somnobalance) has an integrated humdifier (Somnoaqua), and even on the highest humidity level, I am awake in 45 minutes, dry as a bone....I have tried mouth & throat sprays, I have tried different masks, the sleep clinic has adjusted every parameter on my machine....Dry mouth is de-railing the whole system....I am convinced that there must be a CPAP system, with humidifier, that delivers a higher level of humidity. It should be noted that I live in a dry climate (Swiss mountians), normal relative humidity is 20-30%.....so, I had dry mouth problems even before I started CPAP therapy, but with the additional air flow & pressure, it is just a big problem now. If anyone has suffered through a similar experience and found a solution, I would appreciate any information....thank you!

Julie

Re: VERY DRY mouth

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 am

Have you considered trying a standing humidifier in the room?

Because if that doesn't work (I think it should help a lot) then I'd see a doctor about Sjogren's syndrome, an annoying little autoimmune condition that gives you very dry eyes, mouth, etc. But I think the room humidifier should help.

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:53 am

The room humidifier Julie mentioned is the best option. Set a good room humidifier in the room you sleep on high before you sleep. That with your Somnoaqua humidifier set to high also should make sleeping better.

Some machines are better at providing more humid air than others. My older machine provided more humid air than my S9 machine. I usually fill my tank with hot water this time of year (it's cold and dry here also).

Are you sure your somnoaqua humidifier is working? That the tank of water warms up?

diamondman

Post by diamondman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, however, I forgot to mention in my post, that I already installed a very nice humdifier in the room....I can get the room humidty up to about 50%, but it makes no difference at all in the Dry mouth. It is very frustrating....For Julie's comment about Sjogrens syndrome, my eyes are fine, no problem whatsoever...
For Dave, I took the machine & humidifier back to the sleep clinic, they tested it, said all was ok....and I can feel that the water inside is warm to the touch....the doctor said that's about all it will do....Thanks again for taking time to give your thoughts, it is greatly appreciated.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Sounds like you are mouthbreathing. This would be why the doctor prescribed a full face mask.

CPAP humidifiers are designed to provide humidity for the nasal passages. None of them are satisfactory for lengthy mouthbreathing.

I use the same mask as yours and do some mouthbreathing when I have nasal congestion. A small piece of gentle medical tape placed vertically over my lips keeps my mouth closed and prevents dry mouth.

Of course if I have a cold and bad congestion I must mouthbreathe and endure the dry mouth until the cold passes.

Tape I prefer - http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en ... S3RF44WPbl

It helps to put some lip cream (nonpetroleum jelly) over the fleshy lips before applying the tape. Let the tape adhere to the moustache area and the area just below the lips. Comes off without pain in the morning.

I like this product also because it helps prevent tooth decay - http://www.biotene.com/Products/Gel.aspx
Make sure to get the gel form not liquid.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:31 pm

BTW, About Sjogren's syndrome, that is the way forums work. You come in with one health problem and before the thread is out people have tried to convince you that you have a dozen or so other problems.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I have to agree with Monkey on mouth breathing.
I have awakened more than once with my mouth wide open- around the lower edge of my full face mask.
When my pie-hole gets this unruly, the only full face mask that will work is the Fisher-Paykel 432 full face,
as it cups under my chin rather than ending too darn close to my mouth.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Mouthbreathing can dry you out even with a full face mask. Try a chin strap or other techniques to keep your mouth closed. You might even try one of those boil and bite mouthguards. They're cheap and some people find they help them keep their mouth closed. Sometimes, sugar free hard candy in the mouth at bedtime may help you stay closed.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:23 pm

It sounds like you are mouth breathing or recirculating air out of your mouth. A full face mask will insure that you will receive therapy, but will not, in my opinion, stop the dry mouth, nor will a chinstrap, nor will increased humidity. I know of nothing on the market that will solve this problem, other than taping your mouth shut. I have the same problem, and have tried virtually everything. Taping is the only thing that stops it. I stopped taping a month or so ago, thinking I had trained myself to keep my mouth shut. Within a couple of weeks, I was again experiencing extreme dry mouth and had to start taping again. In my opinion, taping is not dangerous, although Archangle supports a different viewpoint, which is his right. I sleep great with tape, about 10 uninterrupted hours a night with no pee breaks, since my prostate roto-rooter job. So, if you want to solve this problem once and for all, the way I did, here's how; start out reasonably clean shaven, remove skin oils with alcohol, a little lip balm, one strip of 3M 2" blue painter's tape No.2010, and have a nice night.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Since you asked:

Taping your mouth risks suffocation or other problems if the machine quits blowing and you don't wake up with a nasal mask. You will be rebreathing your own exhaled air. Oxygen will decrease and CO2 will increase. This can cause you to sink deeper into unconsciousness and stop breathing. This is why all full face masks to have an anti-asphyxia valve.

Most people will wake up and be able to take the mask or tape off, but it's not a sure thing.

There is a risk of aspiration pneumonia if you vomit before you can get the tape off. Aspiration pneumonia is very bad. Google it.

Many people tape anyway despite the risks and have no problems. The risk may be small, but you'll probably be doing this for the rest of your life so risks add up.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:33 am

As everyone mentioned it is caused by breathing through your mouth while using a full face mask. Biotene mouth wash helps some. I am in the process of training myself to keep my mouth shut. When it works my mouth is not dry.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1