Due for a sleep study. S8 vs. S9?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mirkee

Due for a sleep study. S8 vs. S9?

Post by mirkee » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 pm

I haven't had a sleep study in a long time. I'm sure it's been over 5 years. I figure it's time for one. I have been using a ResMed S8 Escape and been happy with it. I notice many people here use an S9. What are the advantages and should I be trying to get an S9 after my sleep study?

Thank you

archangle

Re: Due for a sleep study. S8 vs. S9?

Post by archangle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 pm

If you get an S9 AutoSet or Elite, you and your doctor will have a very powerful diagnostic tool at your disposal that you are now lacking, because of the data collection. The data collection is sort of like a poor man's micro sleep test every night. If you had one of these, you would have a lot less need for another sleep study.

The S9 is much easier to get data out of than the S8. S9 collects more data, and you don't need a hard-to-find proprietary card reader. There is free software available.

Don't get an S9 Escape or Escape Auto. The Elite and AutoSet collect a lot more data.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:57 pm

S8 or S9 probably makes no difference as long as you get a AUTO. Since I travel a lot ,I prefer the form factor of the S8 . I hate power bricks!

mirkee

Post by mirkee » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:31 pm

I better look into the S9 as to form factor. I do like the fact that the S8 I have is so compact. I don't travel a lot, but some. I guess "auto" means that the pressure adjusts to whatever it needs to to stop my apneas? I don't think I would get much use out of the reporting function. I'm not likely to see my sleep doctor for another 5 years after I see him now. I've been on CPAP for 20+ years and love it. Well...who loves sleeping with a mask on your face? The fact is that I awake so much more refreshed and aware with my CPAP that I would not think of sleeping without it. It is a PIA, but one I am willing to live with.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

just don't get an Escape Auto... you won't get leak data with it.

icemanbryan

Post by icemanbryan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I am very happy with my s9
It is a great machine as most who have agree

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:48 pm

mirkee wrote:I better look into the S9 as to form factor. I do like the fact that the S8 I have is so compact. I don't travel a lot, but some. I guess "auto" means that the pressure adjusts to whatever it needs to to stop my apneas? I don't think I would get much use out of the reporting function. I'm not likely to see my sleep doctor for another 5 years after I see him now. I've been on CPAP for 20+ years and love it. Well...who loves sleeping with a mask on your face? The fact is that I awake so much more refreshed and aware with my CPAP that I would not think of sleeping without it. It is a PIA, but one I am willing to live with.
You can look at that data every day using software available here. It means that as you age and life bites you in the ass you can check that pressures are meeting your needs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:10 pm

hobbs wrote:S8 or S9 probably makes no difference as long as you get a AUTO. Since I travel a lot ,I prefer the form factor of the S8 . I hate power bricks!
Once again, don't say "S9 Auto." "S9 AutoSet" is enormously better than "S9 Escape Auto." If you aren't careful, the DME will give you an Escape Auto if you ask for "Auto."

The S9 has many advantages over the S8.

S9 uses a standard SD memory card. S8 uses a proprietary smart card and the card reader is hard to obtain.
The S8 card reader uses a special device driver. Who knows if it will be supported in later versions of windows?
The S9 AutoSet records airflow waveform data. This is a very important tool for you or your doctor to monitor and manage your therapy. The S8 AutoSet records other data, but no airflow.
The S9 has an enormously better user display.
The S9 water tank is much easier to clean.
You'll probably be able to find S9 parts and service for a longer period of time.
I believe there are other improvements to the algorithms in the S9 to give you better treatment.
If the S9 power brick fails, you can buy another one. On the S8, you have to have the machine repaired if the power supply fails, and probably have to wait longer.
The S9 will run the humidifier off of a battery or a standard inverter for power outages or camping. (With the optional ResMed DC-DC converter.) For the S8, you need a special pure sine wave inverter to run the humidifier off of batteries.
The S9 will work with the free SleepyHead program to look at your data. S8 won't.

The S9 AutoSet will report central apneas vs. obstructive apneas. I don't think the S8 will, but can someone confirm or deny this?

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21 pm

mirkee wrote:I don't think I would get much use out of the reporting function. I'm not likely to see my sleep doctor for another 5 years after I see him now.
With data reporting, if you have problems, you send the data card to your DME or doctor and very often they figure out the problem and fix it. Even if the problem only happens occasionally, they can look at the data from the night you had problems. Or the data card shows that your CPAP is working just fine, and you can look for the real cause of whatever problems you're having.

Without data reporting, your doctor either blindly changes your pressure trying to fix the problem or you get to enjoy and pay for another in-lab sleep test. Maybe the sleep test shows what's bothering you at home, or maybe it doesn't.

If the doctor and DME are good, they can read the data from your card occasionally, and find problems with your therapy before it does harm to you, or when it's actually doing harm to you, and you don't realize that CPAP is the cause.

All of that happens even if you don't learn to read the data yourself, which can be very valuable.

Useful Links.

mirkee

Post by mirkee » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 am

Hm...I haven't even made an appointment with my sleep doctor yet. My guess is that he, too, will recommend the S9. We'll see. I have prudent buyer PPO with a $200 deductible which I have already met. They pay 90% and the sleep center is part of a major hospital. In the meantime, I'll look up the differences in size and weight of the S8 vs S9. I really like that my S8 is so small. It came with a humidifier but I have never used it. ON the other hand, I tried nasal things instead of mask and I could not tolerate the burning in my nose. Then again, I think that was before humidifiers. I'll make the appointment on Monday. Probably see him in the next couple of weeks. My pressure was initially set at 10 many, many years ago but I increased it to 11 on my own right away. Do the "auto" machines set the pressure on their own according to one's needs? I'm in the dark ages here.

You guys are a lot of help. Thank you,

Guest.....

Post by Guest..... » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:28 am

I started off with the S9 Autoset as my primary machine but bought a gently used S8 as my backup and travel machine. I definately agree with the size of the S8 as the best for travel. For some reason it works great for me without the humidifier. At home, I have to use humidity with my S9. Why not save the S8 for travel?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 am

Yup, yup. That is what I would do: get a Resmed S9 Elite or S9 AutoSet for regular use at home and keep my Resmed S8 Escape to use as my travel device and for backup should a problem arise w/the S9.

Like you, I love my S8. Despite I have a PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/which I get excellent therapy I prefer using my Resmed S8 VPAP Auto and the VPAP Auto is easier to travel w/than the PR S1 so my S1 is getting little use but it is here when and if I need it.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:38 am

The S9 is the successor to the S8. If you search these boards enough you will find that the programming / machine response is about the same. On the other hand the S9 was thought of as better than the S8.

Your 5 year old S8 is about due to be replaced.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 am

archangle wrote: The S9 AutoSet will report central apneas vs. obstructive apneas. I don't think the S8 will, but can someone confirm or deny this?
This is correct. S8 machines lacked the technology to score centrals.

To OP...The S9 Autoset is actually 2 machines in one. It will do the auto pressure (APAP mode) or if you wish it will run in straight CPAP mode and give you a fixed pressure like you are used to right now.
You may or may not need APAP..may or may not even like it but it is nice to have just in case and since the difference in prices is moot because your insurance likely pays by the billing code and not model, price to you is the same. Even for self pay people the difference in price is less than $100.

You may not feel the need for the data now...that is fine...it is nice to have it available "just in case"..

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 pm

The two year warranty starts when the DME RECEIVED the machine.
Since they don't make S8's any more, the warranty could already be EXPIRED.