Thinsulate Rx for Rainout

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepless on LI

Thinsulate Rx for Rainout

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:24 am

I mistakenly placed this in the Allergy Symptoms thread and meant to make it a separate one. So if you see this and think it's repeated, it is.

Just a quick suggestion. I took a roll of Thinsulate I bought from a craft store and rolled my machine hose in it and then, with great difficulty, slipped my fleece cover over the whole setup. When I was done, I also padded the tubing of my Aura/Headrest in it being careful not to go to the airholes/vent holes. Hopefully I will be able now to just slide the hose out from the whole thing for cleaning. If not, I'll have to work on this a bit more, maybe slicing a seam down the whole padding and wrapping bands around it to keep it in place when put back on so as to be able to remove the hose when necessary for cleaning.

Last night, to try to help with this runny, irritated sinus situation I believe was coming from the drying out of my sinuses every night and not being able to use the hh with my Aura, I cranked the hh up to 3. Not one drop of water in my mask. It worked beautifully.

I spent $10 on the bag of Thinsulate. It seems to be a very efficient solution to rainout. It does take some time to do, but I saved $70 on the heated hose so far, not to count s/h charges.

L o R i

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:27 am

Bellcrest wrote:Could someone please measure their aussie hose for me.

Measure around the widest part all the way around, and the length of the Aussie hose. plus the diameters of the ends.

I can't find a tape measure in my house and want to have a 'custom' cover made for my aussie hose.

Karen at http://www.padacheek.com/ has agreed to make me one if I can get her the measurements.

TIA

sleepyinsunnyvale

Post by sleepyinsunnyvale » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am

Sleepless on LI

Are you now back on XPAP? I thought some time ago you determined (after O2 monitoring) that XPAP therapy wasn't necessary in your case.

Did something change or am I remembering wrong?

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:39 am

sleepyinsunnyvale wrote:Sleepless on LI

Are you now back on XPAP? I thought some time ago you determined (after O2 monitoring) that XPAP therapy wasn't necessary in your case.

Did something change or am I remembering wrong?
Obviously your memory is in full working order. Yes, I've been back on since Christmas Eve.
L o R i

sleepyinsunnyvale

Post by sleepyinsunnyvale » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:12 pm

I hope things are going well for you with your re-started therapy.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:53 pm

Sleepless, I hope the thinsulate continues to work for you - do you think a rural Walmart would stock it?

If you sew, it is very easy to make a fleece hose cover - bigger (wider) than a standard one. When I had my standard hose wrapped in batting, I made a wider cover for it. No problem. If you don't sew, commission a friend to make you one.

I just made a third cover for my heated hose - yes, it now has 3 covers. With my humidifier set at 1 last night, I didn't get rainout (other than one droplet). I'm not sure the heated hose works any better than a standard one - for me. But I'm afraid to put the standard hose to the Aura test - I don't swim well. ..

Please keep us informed on how your thinsulate continues to perform.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:59 pm

Linda3032 wrote:But I'm afraid to put the standard hose to the Aura test - I don't swim well.
Linda,

LOL! Thanks for the laugh.

I would think that a rural Walmart would probably have it in their sewing department. The one by me on Long Island is rather large and I was about to go to Walmart next, which is the next store to Joanne's Crafts, if I couldn't find the thick fleece I was intending on buying. But when I saw Thinsulate and know what it does from its use in gloves, etc., I thought that was very interesting to try instead. I will definitely keep you posted on how it continues to work.

L o R i

hecate

Post by hecate » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:24 pm

Linda3032 wrote:Sleepless, I hope the thinsulate continues to work for you - do you think a rural Walmart would stock it?
I live in a town of 50,000. My local walmart sewing/materials department doesn't carry it.

Liz

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Wow Liz. I live in a "village" of 500, and shop in a town of 5,000. Any bets on my chances of finding it?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:46 pm

Can I ask a question?

How much per yard did you all pay?

I see it listed for $16 to $25 per lineal yard (60in wide) on eBay. Otherwise it seems to be rather hard to find online.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:32 pm

http://www.joannfabrics.com/store_locat ... R50LD3UEPO

This is a link to locate your nearest Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Store that I purchased the bagged roll of Thinsulate from. Hope it helps others find a location near them.
L o R i

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:10 pm

Lori, Giving my honest report of the Thinsulate. Went shopping last Saturday, picked it up at Jo-Anns and had it ready to go by Saturday night. Now, I did not try it on the Aura, but rather the Breeze since that is what I am currently using. Had the humidifier on 3 and had been getting some rainout, so was anxious to try it.

Well...still got the rainout. I have been using it for the past week and still getting it. I don't know what I could have done differently, other than maybe you wrapped yours with more layers than I did? I could only wrap one time or the hose cover would have never fit. I also wrapped my interface as best I could. I don't think the rainout was quite as bad, but definitely still there.

I think I am going to cave and order the heated hose this weekend. There could be worse things to spend my money on. I decided I better get it now before the government takes all my money after filing my taxes !!!

Anyway, I am VERY glad it worked for you! I am going to use the rest of it to make a baby quilt so it won't go to waste.

Maggie

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Maggie,

Thanks for reviving this post for me. I meant to write a followup myself but forgot to.

First off, when I did my hose, I did far more than once around. But I also did the tubing of the Aura that leads down to the pillow attachment. Then I slipped the fleece cover over the whole thick padding (took some time to do that).

Now, I find that I do get rainout sometimes, too. I don't know if it has to do with the indoor conditions. For instance, forgot to turn the heat down last before going to bed and got rainout with the hh on 2. But then there are other nights when it's on 3 and my heat is set to 65 and I have none at all. Very confusing to me.

Yes, I would go ahead and order the sure bet, the Aussie hose. Seems you'll spend a little more than this fix, but from what I've read, it's your best bet for rainout. Hey, we experiment a bit and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for posting your results.

L o R i

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 pm

I still had rainout with 3 hose covers on my heated hose. And the humidifier set on 1.

I had my hose attached to the headboard, and hanging down about 9" towards the pillow. So, I moved it off the headboard, and have it coming up between the headboard and the mattress to pillow height. So none of the hose is hanging downwards...........

It doesn't give me as much freedom (to raise up to check the clock, etc), but it cut down on the rainout.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Linda3032 wrote:I had my hose attached to the headboard, and hanging down about 9" towards the pillow. So, I moved it off the headboard, and have it coming up between the headboard and the mattress to pillow height. So none of the hose is hanging downwards...........

It doesn't give me as much freedom (to raise up to check the clock, etc), but it cut down on the rainout.
Linda,

Good idea. I was always told to have the machine hose slanted downward to help resist rainout because of gravity helping the water slant into the reservoir. But if you attach the hose like I do to an elevated bungee behind the pillow so that that tubing slants downward, in essence, you're doing the same as what you do to make it drain back to the machine, only it's draining into your mask. Never thought of it that way. Maybe I need to lower the bungee to pillow height.

Thanks for the idea.

L o R i