daytime breathlessness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lady Mechanic

Re: daytime breathlessness

Post by Lady Mechanic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Went to the Dr my shortness of breath is due to an adjustment needed in my machine. While there is possibly an underlying cause. The main concern at this point is that the machine may be the cause. So the auto setting is off &a set pressure is in place unless I can not tolerate that. So if anyone should read this they will understand that usually as everyone has said it's usually nothing more than an adjustment won't take care of

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:23 pm

Shortness of breath when awake is not due to needing a machine adjustment and you need a referral to a pulmonologist or cardiac doctor... please ask for one asap as there could be various things going on that have nothing to do with OSA or Cpap. I agree that your machine pressures may not be set correctly but that's a separate issue we can certainly help you with, but don't ignore the other.

raftergirl

Post by raftergirl » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 pm

I've been on cpap for three weeks, and I've noticed the same thing. Just a little different sensation with exertion. I had a complete physical before I had my sleep study, and my heart and lungs were fine. Borderline hypertension was my only issue, other than my OSA. I'm not short of breath really, and I don't have trouble in aerobics class, but breathing does feel "different." I talked with the pulmonologist at my sleep clinic about this, and he talked about how we are normally passive exhalers by nature. Exhaling against pressure with cpap causes us to use accessory muscles that we don't normally use. This can lead to that different sensation with exertion. It should get better over time. If you are having true shortness or breath with exertion that wasn't there before cpap, then talk with your sleep clinic MD.

Lady Mechanic

Post by Lady Mechanic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 pm

I never experienced that before thus the reasoning for blaming the machine. My sleep Dr told me the same thing that my lungs was 'looking for the pressure'upon exertion. To give my body time to adjust since we don't know how long I had sleep apnea but by the results they can guess a long time (not to mention my denial) & that if with 3 months I'm not breathing better while exercising then they will start pulmonary testing to rule out lung issues. Cardiology has already ruled out anything with my stroke. So we know that's not an issue

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:46 pm

I personally would not wait 3 weeks, let alone months and would not 'settle' for someone blaming Cpap for your problem - seems almost lazy. I really wouldn't.

Lady Mechanic

Post by Lady Mechanic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Does seem like passing the buck doesn't it? But my main complaint as i stated before was that my shortness of breath was mainly coming in from heat into a cold building. So when something bad happens it'll be like oh we should have addressed it sooner. I had that experience with my Dad where I shoulda coulda but everyone told me to shut my mouth the drs know what theyre doing & we buried him now I hate myself for not fighting when I should have but anyway that's another story another day. I'll call her. Thank you