Why should I have a minimum air pressure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Why should I have a minimum air pressure?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 pm

My machine is not very loud; but, fortunately, my T is not too loud either--most of the time.
Darling husband's machine adds to the mix.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm

daisy56 wrote:BUT now I think I realize what you mean - the leaks your describing are leaks as in 'APNEAS', right?? Meaning I should get closer in range to avoid anymore leaks (apneas) from happening...right??
No, leaks have nothing to do with apneas. Imagine this. Put on the mask at very low pressure with the straps completely loose. Air will leak around the edges. Tighten up the straps until the air just barely stops leaking. Now pump up the pressure. The pressure will push the mask away from your face and it will start leaking. Tighten the straps some more to stop the leaks. Turn up the pressure, more leaks, tighten, etc. Remember the straps stretch.

You want the straps to be as loose as you can for comfort, but you have to stop the leaks. If you have a widely varying pressure, you may find you adjust your mask to work when you go to bed, but it starts leaking during the night after your pressure goes up.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:26 pm

The ideal mask would seal with a range of pressures.
I've noticed some are better than others at this--but there is no 'ideal' that I have tried.
There is a belief that a continuous pressure (no exhale relief--no automatic) would give the best seal;
but I would have to think even that would be affected by the wearer exhaling. (we do that sometimes)