Let's clear up some misinformation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul56

Re: Let's clear up some misinformation

Post by Paul56 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:36 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:
Does anyone ever imagine what it would be like if we actually had that cpaptalk "reunion" that we've talked about?
I will bring my battle hardened keyboard and be ready for a humdinger.

But, I will only show up if ZZ-Top will be playin'.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Therapist wrote:
But back to my point, you have a small number of chronic gripers here. They would make almost zero impact on cpap.com sales under your idea.
Seems you were just complaining about the complainers.... isnt' that called being a griper?

There is a measure of truth about bad DME's. I experienced a semi-bad DME myself. But, I've
also heard about good ones through the forum.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:16 am

Therapist wrote:I also maintain that the great majority of people are not interested in data and would not care to do anything if you showed them your data. I discussed this with my doctor while I was showing him my reports and said it would be great if everyone had their own data. He reminded me that his office reads the cards of all his patients (he prescribes only ResMed Autoset and BIPAP) and shows the data to his patients. He said, "Most of my patients that see the data don't care to make any changes to improve their therapy."
You can't care about what you aren't taught to understand.

I know five CPAPers. Four of them were not given any education. Three of them would have quit the first week if I hadn't talked to them and convinced them to keep going. One keeps wearing his machine, and complaining because he doesn't feel better. But, since he has a brick, all his doctor can do is guess at how to proceed.

Education, and taking charge of one's own therapy is the only way to go. And this is true of all phases of medical care. I say this as a cancer survivor who would now be dead or dying if I hadn't educated myself, and gotten care when the GP blew off my symptoms.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 am

Therapist wrote:Go work at a soup kitchen or a community relief organization. Go help a wheelchair bound acquaintance. Go tutor in a ghetto school. Go help a single welfare mother clean up her apartment, take her to get a makeover and some clothes, help her put a resume together and get job networking contacts. Spend weeks calling her every night to make sure she is up and will get to work on time. Go clean up a failing elderly couples filthy house and help them file applications for public assistance. Go to an after-school center in a ghetto and clean shit off the bathroom stalls and throw out filthy trash and paint the walls and paint the trim and repair the gutters.
Worked doing handicapped access at conferences for many years

Provided tutoring for children of parents who couldn't afford it

Provided help for mothers of children with autism

Taken in over a dozen out of work people, housed them, helped them get back on their feet, get their educations, and get jobs.

Taken in abandoned animals.

Taken the pets of friends who lost their home in Hurricane Katrina, and who were denied housing because of the pets -- the five cats occupied my spare bedroom for three months.

Currently providing counseling assistance to people with Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of gut issues

I'm here of and on because I believe in paying forward -- I can't repay those who gave generously of their time to help me when I was in need. But I can help those who come after me.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 am

Therapist wrote:Go...and throw out filthy trash...
Apparently, we have done just that.

Ahhh, well, just another of my innumerable faults...

..oh well, starting today, I'm going to 7:1.
...other than food...

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 am

deltadave wrote:
Therapist wrote:Go...and throw out filthy trash...
Apparently, we have done just that.

Ahhh, well, just another of my innumerable faults...

..oh well, starting today, I'm going to 7:1.
Or tomorrow at the latest.
...other than food...

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm

jedimark wrote:Responding to a troll, but what the hell.. (@the original poster, I don't want to replicate their bullocks)

I have something I'd like to express to you and people like you.

Firstly, monitoring more than just data compliance has been found to be the KEY to getting a handle on CPAP treatment..

There are THOUSANDS of CPAP users who are willing to testify on this.. Not just on this site. Plenty of others.. If you learned how to use Google, you'd have more of a clue.

This fact alone totally defecates over useless studies which are performed with MUCH lower sample audience.. We don't just want data capable machines, we simply DEMAND them.

If you are too incompetent to realize how important it is to involve the patient in this treatment, you're both a fraud, and in the wrong business.

Being sold a non data capable machine is slap in the face of people already dealing with a crappy medical condition. The fact that you call being able to monitor this a luxury shows how out of touch you are with reality..

Now please post where your from so we can boycott your crappy organization..
Comment,

jedimark must be silly to get involved in situations like this b/c he should stay neutral to promote his Sleepy Head program.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Jedimark:
+1,000,000
(I know this is an old thread, but Sleepyhead is awesome!)
Thank you, Mark!
(STFU, Avi!)

djhall

Post by djhall » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 pm

avi123 wrote:
jedimark wrote:Responding to a troll, but what the hell.. (@the original poster, I don't want to replicate their bullocks)

I have something I'd like to express to you and people like you.

Firstly, monitoring more than just data compliance has been found to be the KEY to getting a handle on CPAP treatment..

There are THOUSANDS of CPAP users who are willing to testify on this.. Not just on this site. Plenty of others.. If you learned how to use Google, you'd have more of a clue.

This fact alone totally defecates over useless studies which are performed with MUCH lower sample audience.. We don't just want data capable machines, we simply DEMAND them.

If you are too incompetent to realize how important it is to involve the patient in this treatment, you're both a fraud, and in the wrong business.

Being sold a non data capable machine is slap in the face of people already dealing with a crappy medical condition. The fact that you call being able to monitor this a luxury shows how out of touch you are with reality..

Now please post where your from so we can boycott your crappy organization..
Comment,

jedimark must be silly to get involved in situations like this b/c he should stay neutral to promote his Sleepy Head program.
This guy believes so much in the importance of getting involved in managing and monitoring the effectiveness of their own treatment that he donates his time and talent to writing and maintaining an incredible software program and giving it away to everyone FOR FREE.... but your biggest concern is digging up a two year old thread to criticize him for not appearing neutral about his core belief that patient information in involvement is critical to their health, welfare, and treatment effectiveness??? Your critique doesn't even make sense... how would appearing neutral about the benefits to be gained by monitoring your treatment "promote" his free program or benefit patients who aren't already convinced of the benefits?

What the heck is wrong with you?!?!?!?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm

The strong relationship between OSA and diabetes means that many patients are already fully aware
of the critical importance of meaningful feedback in securing effective treatment.

Albacore

Post by Albacore » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:37 pm

ltts wrote:And by the way, there are no patients receiving machines that went out of production 15 years ago. Anywhere. I doubt there are patients receiving machines that went out of production even 3 years ago. The blowers seldom last that long, and the machines cost more to be repaired than the cost of a new machine. The manufactuers make sure of that.
Really? I was just given an M Series Respironics unit that, when researched, turned out to be seven years old! I will agree with you that insurance companies only wish to pay for the most inexpensive machines available. And I agree it would be unfair to expect DME's to provide equipment they are not being properly reimbursed for. I get that there are many rules regulations and laws surrounding durable medical equipment and the administration of medical care. In a perfect world DME's and insurance companies would follow each and every one of these laws designed to protect and or serve the consumer, unfortunately as others on this forum have already stated, you
are out of touch with what actually happens to the consumer, including those like myself who have been given an old machine, yet were told this is the "Cadillac of machines."
Machine: Aircurve 10 VAuto with heated tubing
Mask: Mirage Quattro FF
Setting: Bilevel Auto

It was either get a therapist or get a Harley.....the Harley sounded more fun.

So Well

Post by So Well » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Albacore wrote: In a perfect world DME's and insurance companies would follow each and every one of these laws
Huh? In a perfect world there are no laws.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

ems

Post by ems » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Albacore wrote:Really? I was just given an M Series Respironics unit that, when researched, turned out to be seven years old! I will agree with you that insurance companies only wish to pay for the most inexpensive machines available. And I agree it would be unfair to expect DME's to provide equipment they are not being properly reimbursed for. I get that there are many rules regulations and laws surrounding durable medical equipment and the administration of medical care. In a perfect world DME's and insurance companies would follow each and every one of these laws designed to protect and or serve the consumer, unfortunately as others on this forum have already stated, you
are out of touch with what actually happens to the consumer, including those like myself who have been given an old machine, yet were told this is the "Cadillac of machines."
You only have a few posts so does that mean you are new to CPAP? Did you recently get this machine? If so, there is something you can do about this... like call/write your insurance company and any government entity that will listen, with a copy to the DME who sold you your machine. Even if you've had it awhile, why not do it anyway. It's past time to stop these DMEs who actively rip people off!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Albacore

Post by Albacore » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm

No not really new. I was diagnosed as having severe sleep apnea seven years ago, and at that time joined C PAPtalk.com. However, I could never get my C PAP machine to work. Turns out my settings were incorrect and my machine was only C PAP not bi-level therapy which is what I have now. So here I am 7 years later trying this all over again because I recognize the absolute need in my life for sleep and the peace of mind that comes with the reduced risk of heart attacks and strokes. Although the unit I have was manufactured seven years ago, it is a new-in-the-box machine, and seems to work pretty well for me at this point. Pugsy pointed me in the direction of the software I need, and also sent me links to websites where I can purchase a smart card and reader.
Machine: Aircurve 10 VAuto with heated tubing
Mask: Mirage Quattro FF
Setting: Bilevel Auto

It was either get a therapist or get a Harley.....the Harley sounded more fun.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Albacore wrote:...it is a new-in-the-box machine, and seems to work pretty well for me at this point. Pugsy pointed me in the direction of the software I need, and also sent me links to websites where I can purchase a smart card and reader.
I'm glad to hear that and wish you good luck this time around.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~