mask and cheek numbness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mysteryism80

mask and cheek numbness

Post by mysteryism80 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 pm

I wear my full face mask every night. Its pretty tight on one side of my face and sometimes my cheek gets sore. Recently, on a couple different occasions my cheek has felt kinda numb, also around my mouth too a bit. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Misty

LSAT

Re: mask and cheek numbness

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Obviously you have it too tight. What mask are you using?????

GeneW1

Post by GeneW1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

I have the same problem and my mask is not to tight. it feels like I have been to the dentist and Novocain is wearing off. I keep wearing is looser so much so that the mask has a high leak rate.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:26 pm

GeneW1 wrote: I keep wearing is looser so much so that the mask has a high leak rate.
------------->

ChicagoGranny wrote:
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php

- CG

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:44 pm

GeneW1 wrote:I have the same problem and my mask is not to tight. it feels like I have been to the dentist and Novocain is wearing off. I keep wearing is looser so much so that the mask has a high leak rate.
Try a mask liner like Remzzz or Padacheek, they should allow you to wear your mask looser and help prevent leaks.

Your numbness is probably from an ill fitting mask. However checking all the boxes, potentially the numbness may be triggered by mask contact while irritating the nerves... so, it might be worth reading this.:

http://www.md-health.com/Numbness-In-Face.html

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:11 am

This happened to me during my first few weeks of cpap therapy. I was on a wisp mask then. Solution was either loosen it a bit or use a padding, as everyone else mentioned here.

Good luck.

Sent from heaven

Taren

Post by Taren » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 am

I have the same issue and do use a protector between the mask and face. I'm trying to sleep in various positions to see if that will make a difference. Will also look into a thicker face protector. Thanks for all the info.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:06 pm

"new mask fits almost everybody and adapts to their face"

Well, you wanted to be proven wrong about something, so there it is. You couldn't be more wrong about that... where did you get your degree in bioengineering, anatomy or neurology, let alone people skills?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:53 pm

They're trying to SELL it you moron! Of course they're going to say it fits everyone! Are you actually from some other planet?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:06 pm

If they can make a mask that fits everyone, why are there so many different masks on the market? I cannot wear the F10 due to the shape of my nose, but the F20 fits just fine.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 pm

xxyzx wrote:
mysteryism80 wrote:I wear my full face mask every night. Its pretty tight on one side of my face and sometimes my cheek gets sore. Recently, on a couple different occasions my cheek has felt kinda numb, also around my mouth too a bit. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Misty
============

mask too tight

check the other thread here
new mask fits almost everybody and adapts to their face
so you dont have to have it so tight to avoid leaks
Misty (mysteryism80) died five years ago due to an ill-fitting mask.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 pm

And of course you know that because you polled 1,000 people who use it, right?

Christine L

Post by Christine L » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:57 pm

xxyzx wrote:the F20 fits more people better
Better than what?