boiling stuff

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: boiling stuff

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:25 pm

It probably bears repeating that there are some germs that can survive boiling water temperatures. For instance, when canning food, you have to heat to 250F in a pressure cooker to be sure to kill the bacteria that cause botulism.

Luckily, most of the germs that we worry about will die even below boiling temperatures.

You also have to keep things at the temperature for long enough. A quick dip may not do the job.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:38 pm

I think people are confusing sterilization with "revitalization". The OP isn't worried about germs, but trying to regain that "tacky" quality of new silicone. I've found that boiling isn't necessary. I draw a sinkfull of hot, soapy water and let the pillows and cushion soak until the water cools. Then rinse, shake and air dry. That works about 3 or 4 times, then you need some new parts. I *think* what happens is you remove skin oil that has absorbed into the silicone. Often you can rub "crumbs" off the surface of the silicone as you are scrubbing with your fingers. Boiling is not necessary for revitalization.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

a1albert

Post by a1albert » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Yes I boil my swift Lt pillows. After they seem to have worn out and start leaking bad I put them in water and boil them, it seems to bring them back to life. I have a stock pile of new ones that the insurance company has bought waiting for my old ones to give up. Boiling seems to work for me but you may not like it, give it a try on some old pillows and see what happens. How long to boil I don't know, I have fogot about them on the stove and came back and found the water almost boiled away and they still are good. As far as other types of mask or pillows go it is worth a try if you have a new one if it don't work.

Albert

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:56 am

VVV wrote:

I just have to ask, has anyone tried battering and deep frying?
Yes, but I suggest you add some cayenne pepper half way through!

Kohkie

Post by Kohkie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I was planning on replacing my nasal pillows tonight. So after reading this thread, I thought "what the heck". So grabbed old nasal pillows, I was going to throw away anyhow, and have them boiling now. Will post tomorrow and let everyone know how it went. What I've noticed is that the pillows get too soft and flexible with time and my AHI starts to go up. Am boiling them for 20 minutes.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Boiling works for silicone...read this post.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74686&p=685106#p685106