OT: Paula Deen

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Therapist

OT: Paula Deen

Post by Therapist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I know many of you like to discuss topics like diet and diabetes. What do you think of the Paula Deen story?

jnk

Re: OT: Paula Deen

Post by jnk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Therapist wrote:I know many of you like to discuss topics like diet and diabetes. What do you think of the Paula Deen story?
I think it's kinda sweet.

Hopefully the publicity will help dispel some widespread myths:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

She's a smart creative person. I hope she comes out with new, healthy, low carb recipes--
Not an assortment of high priced useless diet products; like practically everyone else has.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:34 pm

It bugs me that it took her 3 years to admit she has diabetes. She obviously likes money as much as she likes butter.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:40 pm

LOL, well.. if you're interested in lively discussion on this topic, take a look at the ADA forums - they're buzzing with opinions.

I'll say here, what I said there - when I was first diagnosed with T2, last thing I wanted to do was go telling people about it. I really don't care too much for PD, but I respect her decision not to spill her health concerns on the world at a time when she was probably scared, confused and out of control. Now that she has handle on her T2, she is more comfortable discussing it in public. That's how I perceive her decision.

That her recipes are so far from diabetic-friendly or even healthy-people-friendly is irrelevant IMHO. Her specialty is decadent desserts - no one's forcing you or her to eat them. Besides most desserts can be made low-carb so that 'we' can indulge a little at times.

I do plan to start watching her public life a bit more though - and truly hope she has a positive impact on diabetics (all versions) and helps to educate both uncontrolled diabetics and medical people who have no clue (of which there are many). Her celebrity status gives her much power, so hopefully she doesn't become a puppet for the big drug companies.

Cheers,
xena

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

It bugs me as well that every recipe features a stick of butter. I have extremely high triglycerides and I could not eat any of her cooking if I wanted to.

She needs to walk the walk and talk the talk now.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:50 pm

If your triglycerides are high, cut your carb consumption, especially anything with high fructose corn syrup (it's in most processed foods).

And read: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magaz ... all&src=pm

and then read: http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-Vi ... 601&sr=8-1

Your eyes will be opened and you'll see that a lot of what you read about the "myths" of diabetes are simply untrue, such as that a healthy diet for a diabetic is essentially the same as that for someone without T2.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Slartybartfast wrote: . . . the "myths" of diabetes are simply untrue, such as that a healthy diet for a diabetic is essentially the same as that for someone without T2.
The myth, to me, is that only diabetics need to eat healthy.

Actually, everyone should eat healthy.

That's why I find it interesting that diabetics would choose a fellow diabetic to attack.

It seems to me that it sends the message that it is OK for a nondiabetic to be known for appearing to promote unhealthy eating, but not for a diabetic.

That, for me, is a double standard.

It's like saying that only nondiabetics can work at a factory that makes ice cream.

You can have a spoonful, or you can eat the whole carton. The problem isn't the ice cream.

It is possible to eat healthy and occasionally have small amounts of ice cream, I believe.

But I could be wrong. I am, after all, overweight, so I shouldn't be allowed to discuss "unhealthy foods" in public, I guess, in any amount.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:48 pm

My PCP's diabetes educator gives out the same literature either way--compliments of a lovely drug company, BTW--
I could tell you which one, but I shredded their 'trash'.
Basically the 'menu plan' they were pushing had way too many carbs for a type 2 to live healthy.
Insulin balances the carbs you eat--which can be a LOT.
If I had adopted their program, I would be over 200 pounds now and on a pump.
My insurance would have covered everything, but why get hooked?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Basically first she charged people to eat into diabetes and then she makes money selling diabetes meds. WOW!

It is sort of like charging people to dig holes in the road and then charging them to fix their cars.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:01 pm

If yer gonna go after the people who seem to profit from promoting or enabling unhealthy lifestyle choices, go after them all, I say, not just the diabetics among them.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 pm

I haven't been following Paula, but if the pot-shots the chattering heads are taking at her are any indication of reality, she appears to be defending herself by saying you don't automatically eat your way into type 2 diabetes, which I agree with. But while you might not inevitably eat yourself into Type 2 diabetes, Dr. Robert Lustig says flat-out that Type 2 diabetes can be controlled by diet. Period. Gutsy statement, however a number of people on this board with Type 2 have done just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

And Dr. Richard Bernstein, a lifelong Type 1 diabetic, says that even Type 1 can be controlled by diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg

If either of those maladies are of concern to you it would be worth your while to watch both videos.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:53 pm

retrodave15 wrote:It bugs me as well that every recipe features a stick of butter. I have extremely high triglycerides and I could not eat any of her cooking if I wanted to.

She needs to walk the walk and talk the talk now.
Dietary fat gets a bad rap here. Dietary fat CAN contribute to high triglycerides, but only in the presence of glucose. If you consume excess calories in the form of carbohydrates, you'll have excess glucose that MUST be dealt with. The body will sweep fat along with the glucose into triglycerides, which is a quick storage form of fat.

Reduce the amount of glucose in your blood to what your body can handle immediately after you eat and you can drastically lower your triglycerides, even if you are on a high fat diet. However, you can reduce the fat in your diet all you want, and you may still find that your triglycerides are too high if your dietary carbohydrate is high.

Facts are facts. Yes, both fat and carbohydrates contribute to triglycerides, but only one is the real culprit. If you insist on eating a diet high in starch and sugar, however, you really should be on a low fat diet. Don't make things worse by consuming fat WITH carbs. The real answer, obviously, is to severely limit consumption of carbohydrates.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 pm

She can have all that sugar and flour.
Got my cholesterol results today after being on low carb for 1 year. While my cholesterol was 221 all my ratios were "Ideal". Fasting blood sugar, 86.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Per my cardiologist - the cholesterol in food is very different from the cholesterol in your body - eating low-carb will lower yours, not cutting out good fats.

I have some good, scientific reading for anyone who wants proof.

Cheers,
xena