Success!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LARS929

Success!!!

Post by LARS929 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm

I just wanted to share my success story here because it's been a rather long road to refreshment and now that I'm here I want to just give a little boost to anyone struggling.

I spent my latter high school years and 3 years of college tired before getting checked out. I went in and had a sleep study and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, about 15 events per hour. I immediately went to CPAP therapy per my DRs orders.

I was what you could call an ideal user of the machine, I never took it off, I used it all night every night and I made sure I got a full nights sleep. I lived in a frat-type house with 26 guys, yet I still used it regardless of any comments I got. I averaged 8+ hours per night and after 6 months I felt no relief.

I went back for another sleep study and was diagnosed with 'Hypersomnia', during that test I fell asleep during each of the naps, and averaged falling asleep within 5 minutes. I was put on Ritalin, which worked a little bit, but I was allergic to it. Moved to adderal, which only minimally helped me and I decided it wasn't worth staying on. I would rather just not take a drug to take a drug.

I then got on a more normal sleep schedule for the last 4 months, where I go to sleep slightly earlier and I wake up quite a bit earlier. I get marginally less sleep than I used to, but I am feeling much better throughout the days. Waking up is still a pain, but not being tired during the day is an incredible relief.

There have been a few nights I slept without the machine, due to forgetting it at home and staying at a friends, or other odd circumstances, the next day is ALWAYS horrible!

I could not be happier to have stuck out the last year and a half on CPAP, even though nearly 14 months it seemed a waste, it all seems worth it now.

jmelby

Re: Success!!!

Post by jmelby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm glad you stuck with it and made it work for you... some people would give up much sooner... and trust me, it is worth it! Good for you!

(yet another Jeff)

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 pm

You were fortunate to receive therapeutic help at such a young age, and kudos to you for using your machine even in the face of heavy peer pressure/ridicule. You are to be commended for being mature enough to know how important this was to your health and ability to complete your schooling. Best wishes for continued good results, excellent health, and success in life!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:15 am

You are a very smart young man. I wish I had been that mature at your age and delt with my OSA then instead of waiting until my 50s. I am sure many more brain cells would be functioning today if I had.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks for your success story. What I noted in particular was your commitment over the long haul. Many people would not stick with and work out kinks with CPAP without optimal results for 14 months. Glad it's worthwhile.

NotSleepingBeauty

Post by NotSleepingBeauty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for sharing. This therapy can be discouraging at times.