Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am

My Experience wrote:I have been using a CPAP for over 16 years. It has helped me a lot, but I usually still didn't feel rested. I also have PTSD and back problems. I decided to get my marijuana prescription. I can tell you that when I use a small amount of indica weed in a vaporizer before I go to bed, I wake up feeling great. I haven't felt this good in 30 years.
Yes. Medical Marijuana is helping me so far, too.

If I vaporize some Indica before bedtime, then I sleep like a baby the whole night with my CPAP machine on. Doesn't both me a bit. Don't even wake to use the toilet. A few minutes before my alarm goes off, I'm awake and rested, and I'm not a bit sleepy the whole day. Before MJ, that just didn't happen for me with a CPAP on, and I've been trying for months.

I never liked the recreational effects of MJ (tried it as a teen and hated it.) It's probably not for everyone and it does have side effects (Eg. dry mouth with the CPAP when sleeping on my back, but not on my side.)

But it apparently does help me sleep with my CPAP on.

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:53 am

Guest wrote:
My Experience wrote:I have been using a CPAP for over 16 years. It has helped me a lot, but I usually still didn't feel rested. I also have PTSD and back problems. I decided to get my marijuana prescription. I can tell you that when I use a small amount of indica weed in a vaporizer before I go to bed, I wake up feeling great. I haven't felt this good in 30 years.
Yes. Medical Marijuana is helping me so far, too.

If I vaporize some Indica before bedtime, then I sleep like a baby the whole night with my CPAP machine on. Doesn't both me a bit. Don't even wake to use the toilet. A few minutes before my alarm goes off, I'm awake and rested, and I'm not a bit sleepy the whole day. Before MJ, that just didn't happen for me with a CPAP on, and I've been trying for months.

I never liked the recreational effects of MJ (tried it as a teen and hated it.) It's probably not for everyone and it does have side effects (Eg. dry mouth with the CPAP when sleeping on my back, but not on my side.)

But it apparently does help me sleep with my CPAP on.
Do you know if a person would test positive while using it with a vaporizer? I'm a believer in the use of marijuana for relaxation and some medical conditions, but unfortunately, our nanny state does not which means you have to pass drug tests when looking for work! I'm kind of thinking inhaling it in any way would cause positive test results.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:13 pm

" . . . don't even wake to use the toilet." !!!!
I can't even begin to say how that disturbs me!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:21 pm

jaye8898 wrote:I'm kind of thinking inhaling it in any way would cause positive test results.
I am thinking I agree with your thinking.
No matter how it gets in your body...it will show up in a drug test.
Bummer...I am still hoping that a bible belt state would allow it...but not holding my breath.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Pugsy wrote:
jaye8898 wrote:I'm kind of thinking inhaling it in any way would cause positive test results.
I am thinking I agree with your thinking.
No matter how it gets in your body...it will show up in a drug test.
Bummer...I am still hoping that a bible belt state would allow it...but not holding my breath.
When I was working in HR a lot more of my applicants were failing their drug tests here in Washington State where it it totally legal! Unfortunately, most employers follow federal guidelines. However, our country is broke so I'm expecting within the next few years it will be legalized and taxed across the country. The pattern of legalization is very similar to prohibition and alcohol.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:" . . . don't even wake to use the toilet." !!!!
I can't even begin to say how that disturbs me!
Seriously, apparently Nocturia is a comorbidity with Sleep Apnea.

I've read that there is a hormone that your body is supposed to produce during deep sleep, that reduces urine production.

People with poor sleep produce less of it. This, ironically, leads to further sleep disturbances.

Using the medical marijuana, I am easily able to get through the whole night without having to get up to pee, and no urgency in the morning, either. I know this seems like a funny topic to bring up, but it's one way I know I must be sleeping undisturbed the whole night.

That, and the fact that I can sit on the couch with my family watching TV, and don't feel like nodding off...

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:29 pm

I always tend to lean towards natural solutions over 'big pharma' solutions regarding health issues. However, a few years ago, when I tried the MJ solution for insomnia (oh my, it really strong these days ), I found that I was waking up every hour or so and looking under my bed for DEA agents, boogie men and assorted malcontents. It was a very restless and weird night - certainly not one that I'd care to repeat. That being said, I know several potheads who toke up and soon fall right into a deep sleep I'm always jealous of those people Hey, that's just me, I've always been sort of paranoid on pot, however during this particular experiment I was hoping old age had mellowed me out. Sadly it didn't.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I always tend to lean towards natural solutions over 'big pharma' solutions regarding health issues. However, a few years ago, when I tried the MJ solution for insomnia (oh my, it really strong these days :shock: ), I found that I was waking up every hour or so and looking under my bed for DEA agents, boogie men and assorted malcontents. It was a very restless and weird night - certainly not one that I'd care to repeat. That being said, I know several potheads who toke up and soon fall right into a deep sleep :? I'm always jealous of those people :mrgreen: Hey, that's just me, I've always been sort of been paranoid on pot, however during this particular experiment I was hoping old age had mellowed me out. Sadly it didn't.
You're paranoid about marijuana in Santa Cruz? Interesting...as I take a walk down West Cliff by the ocean, I'm almost knocked over by the aroma of marijuana coming from the cars parked there. Seen people smoking a bong in their car, now that's casual. People walk along sharing a joint, pretty blatant stuff. Don't think I've ever seen anyone busted in SC for personal use. Of my next door neighbors that were renting, the first one grew a giant plant in the backyard and used it (pretty depleted looking there at the end), and the renters following them had huge bags that they repackaged into personal use containers in their backyard. Now the house has been sold, neither of those appear to be happening at the moment.

If you can't be at rest smoking here, I don't know where you could *smile*, other than Colorado and Washington, of course. You need to learn to relax, man *smile*. Not too much, just enough so that you can enjoy yourself. I'm mostly joking here, I think that you can tell, but really...

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:01 pm

It is legal where I live, medical and rec. Thought about a tincture to keep from waking up but concerned about dose. Old and chicken, never tried it in the 60's. Anyone else out there find it works well?

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:17 am

Islandwoman wrote:It is legal where I live, medical and rec. Thought about a tincture to keep from waking up but concerned about dose. Old and chicken, never tried it in the 60's. Anyone else out there find it works well?
Before I tried it, I was also concerned about the dose. Especially since, "back in the day", it sometimes made my heart race and all the other bad things you hear about it. Which is why I never liked the stuff as a youth.

In my experience,the Indica strains I buy in a dispensary doesn't really cause those bad effects. It relaxes, relieves pain and stress, and helps me sleep. If I vaporize more, I get more of the above. Because the effects are apparent after a few minutes, I puff as much as I need, and then stop.

My vaporizer uses convection, so it cools down quickly when I turn it off--this allows me to use just what I need, and keep some loaded up and ready to use in case I need a bit more.

Tincture would probably also be good in this regard, but the disadvantage of oral use is that there is a longer delay before the effect is apparent. This will make it harder for you to adjust your dose at first, so take it slow until you know how much you need. The good thing is that you will not need to buy a vaporizer, and a good one will run you at least $100-200. And there is less smell and mess.

However, I actually enjoy the whole ritual of "getting ready for bed", and just the smell makes me sleepy.

Again, its not for everyone. But I'm glad the place where I live allows patients this option.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks for the info. I would love not to wake up during the night as I often have problems getting back to sleep. I will ask about the Indica strain or similar. All the new medicinal strains available for special needs are what peaked my interest. I have no wish to get high nor to use Ambian.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Islandwoman wrote:Thanks for the info. I would love not to wake up during the night as I often have problems getting back to sleep. I will ask about the Indica strain or similar. All the new medicinal strains available for special needs are what peaked my interest. I have no wish to get high nor to use Ambian.
Agreed. I'm glad if I could help!

Good luck and all the best.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:19 pm

The very last thing I need is a case of the munchies.

djhall

Post by djhall » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:21 pm

I seriously doubt marijuana reduces the number or severity of OSA events, but I suppose I could see someone with anxiety or insomnia issues along with OSA finding it useful in getting to sleep while tolerating the mask and hose.

Eddie4Paws

Post by Eddie4Paws » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:03 am

Otter wrote:
hades161 wrote:I should note that there is a 3rd strain that is used for industry and it has NO EFFECTS at all but is still Illegal. Its used for Hemp rope, paper, making fuel, clothes, and a huge number of other products.
Yeah, but hemp is a gateway fiber.