Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
peterg

Re: Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

Post by peterg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:37 pm

ameriken wrote:Thanks hades, I just called a Medical MJ shop here in Colorado and they explained those different strains, which I think would be perfect if there were little or no effect. I don't mind a little buzz, but don't want to end up crashed out on the couch either. In addition, I don't want to smoke it because I am on the line with 'emphysematic changes' in my lungs and can't afford any more damage, so being able to eat it or get a vapor from it would be perfect.

The idea is so I can control my back pain and function normally with a good memory, rather than having to deal with this sleep apnea that is not fully under control.
I'd go for smoke hash or eat a couple of hours before bedtime (eating effects last longer). do some research, keep a scientific eye on your apnea (machine results and/or O2 meter) and have a break from it occasionally to dry out, reduce desensitisation and experiment objectively. careful with driving, machinery and the law.
and have fun, of course.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 pm

I had a friend who used it for post stroke pain and tremors. She had a medical license but she bought from the local dealers because the quality was better and they delivered to the door. She would get high for about 10 minutes and then would be totally functional.

From personal experience pot's "high" is not as crippling as alcohol is. I was at a party where we had a medical emergency - spilled espresso pot - and it was like everyone was instantly sober, totally focused and capable. I have never seen that in the case of alcohol.

We also had a technician who always smoked it. He was the best technical person who could fix just about anything electronic, taught himself programming operating systems.

I don't use it now. I hate anything that makes me feel confused, not in control even for a short time. Predisnone was much much worse then pot ever was to tell the truth. And Fliornal(?) made me so high I ended up flushing them - I preferred the migraine pain.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm not too sure MJ would be good for OSA. I am sure though that I functioned fine during my "weed fog" days in the 60's a great deal better then the fog I stay in now even with good cpap stats. So what's up with that.

Asphyxium

Post by Asphyxium » Thu May 16, 2013 1:25 am

I know this is an old thread but it comes up in google searches about sleep apnea and cannabis and I want to set the record straight.

Recent research shows that the active cannabinoid THC "stabilizes autonomic output during sleep, reduces spontaneous sleep-disordered breathing, and blocks serotonin-induced exacerbation of sleep apnea".

In other words, there is a "significant" result when treating sleep apnea with natural and synthetic (Dronabinol AKA Marinol) THC.

For those inexperienced in cannabis matters, this is the chemical that gets you high. You cannot get effects from smoking strains high in other cannabinoids.

It should be noted however that smoking the dried flowers of the cannabis plant produces effects that only last a couple of hours so it is critical that the patient consume butane hash oil, which lasts 2.5 times as long and perhaps even longer.

The research is available from the National Center for Biotechnology Information at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23346060.

In seeking this option for therapy you might run into obstacles due to overly conservative medical marijuana laws. I believe only the state of California allows you to get a doctor's recommendation for sleep apnea despite the severity of the matter due to a lack of awareness as to the medical effect. Most states have chosen to only allow a strictly limited list of conditions wheras the state of California allows ALL conditions that are treated by cannabis to be acceptable as long as the prescribing physician agrees that cannabis treatment is a good idea.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 am

Interesting...like to see more quantitative study results to see how much reduction in apneas one could hope to get.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 am

The short answer is Yes, marijuana can help with sleep apnea.

Citing only to actual scientific studies rather than anectdotal examples of college parties, there was a 2013 study done in the U.S. showng marijuana to be helpful for sleep apnea, decreasing apnea levels during NREM and REM sleep stages. A Phase II study may be done after.

From http://www.truthonpot.com/2013/02/16/me ... eep-apnea/

[...]"A number of studies have investigated the effects of cannabis extracts on sleep apnea, revealing positive findings.

In 2002, researchers at the University of Illinois published the results of a study documenting the effects of cannabinoids (THC and oleamide) in animal models of sleep apnea. The results showed that both THC and oleamide were able to stabilize respiration in the animal models during all stages of sleep, decreasing apnea indexes during NREM and REM sleep stages by 42% and 58% respectively. These decreases were observed to be dose-dependent – meaning that higher doses of cannabinoids resulted in higher reductions in apnea episodes.

Following the positive results of this pre-clinical trial, lead author Dr. David Carley published the first human trial to investigate the effects of THC (dronabinol) on sleep apnea in 2013. The study involved administering varying doses of dronabinol (2.5, 5 and 10mg) to 17 test subjects prior to bedtime over a 3 week period. The results showed an overall reduction in apnea indexes of 32%, despite significant variance between patients.

Although a 32% reduction is marginal when compared to the effectiveness of current treatment options (such as CPAP and oral devices), the authors suggest that cannabinoid medications could still be of benefit to patients who suffer from mild to moderate cases of sleep apnea. Furthermore, the reduction was observed to be dose-dependent in both pre-clinical and human trials – meaning that higher rates of reduction may likely be achieved with higher doses of cannabinoids.

Dr. Carley has since received a $5 million grant from the National Institute of Health to investigate these results further in a Phase II clinical trial. If similar results are found, THC pills may become available to patients with sleep apnea in the near future."

Here is a link to the published study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3550518/

This is in addition to the well documented fact that marijuana is effective to allow one to quickly fall asleep, for those who may have insomnia on top of apnea.

You should try it and see how it helps you. Please then share your experience here.

Good luck!
Last edited by hyperlexis on Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 am

They don't specify whether it helps those with central apnea of obstructive apnea. I just don't see how cannabis could have any effect on obstructive apnea.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu May 16, 2013 8:04 am

DreamStalker wrote:They don't specify whether it helps those with central apnea of obstructive apnea. I just don't see how cannabis could have any effect on obstructive apnea.

The title of the posted study is "Proof of Concept Trial of Dronabinol in Obstructive Sleep Apnea"....

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 am

hyperlexis wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:They don't specify whether it helps those with central apnea of obstructive apnea. I just don't see how cannabis could have any effect on obstructive apnea.

The title of the posted study is "Proof of Concept Trial of Dronabinol in Obstructive Sleep Apnea"....
Sorry, admittedly, I did not initially go to the NIH link.

Nonetheless, a study with only 17 subjects is not very significant. Second, they purposely screened out severe symptomatic OSA and those with arterial oxygen saturation <75% for ≥5% of total sleep time ... ie mild to moderate subjects were used.

There was also this quote ...
Despite improvements in AHI, dronabinol treatment did not lead to numerical improvement in nadir oxygen saturation (0.0 ± 3.0, p = 0.5) or any decrease in time below 85% oxygen saturation in minutes (0.9 ± 3.8, p = 0.4).
And they are basically assuming that the cause of OSA is due to the complex neurochemical control and neuromodulation of central respiratory drive and the upper airway motor output. I've always thought that my tongue was too big and my throat opening too small and when lying on my back caused an obstruction of airflow due to gravity. In other words, CPAP stents my small throat opening to allow airflow and seems to work quite well ... so I just don't understand how getting stoned woks against the laws of gravity. Does pot make the tongue float in the air somehow?

And finally there was this at the end ...
Conflict of Interest Statement

The present study was sponsored by a grant from Pier Pharmaceuticals, a for-profit business. David Carley previously served on the Board of Directors for Pier Pharmaceuticals, which has since been acquired by Cortex Pharmaceuticals.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 am

DreamStalker wrote:
hyperlexis wrote:

Nonetheless, a study with only 17 subjects is not very significant. Second, they purposely screened out severe symptomatic OSA and those with arterial oxygen saturation <75% for ≥5% of total sleep time ... ie mild to moderate subjects were used.

Despite improvements in AHI, dronabinol treatment did not lead to numerical improvement in nadir oxygen saturation (0.0 ± 3.0, p = 0.5) or any decrease in time below 85% oxygen saturation in minutes (0.9 ± 3.8, p = 0.4).
And they are basically assuming that the cause of OSA is due to the complex neurochemical control and neuromodulation of central respiratory drive and the upper airway motor output. I've always thought that my tongue was too big and my throat opening too small and when lying on my back caused an obstruction of airflow due to gravity. In other words, CPAP stents my small throat opening to allow airflow and seems to work quite well ... so I just don't understand how getting stoned woks against the laws of gravity. Does pot make the tongue float in the air somehow?

The present study was sponsored by a grant from Pier Pharmaceuticals, a for-profit business. David Carley previously served on the Board of Directors for Pier Pharmaceuticals, which has since been acquired by Cortex Pharmaceuticals.

Float in the air somehow?

For real?

Perhaps if you write to the scientists who performed the study, and have just received funding to conduct a larger Phase II trial on more people, what their findings were, they could explain them better. Please then post their explanation here.

Although in the actual existing posted study it does explain what the likely mechanism of action of the drug is on OSA.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 am

hyperlexis wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:
hyperlexis wrote:

Float in the air somehow?

For real?

Perhaps if you write to the scientists who performed the study, and have just received funding to conduct a larger Phase II trial on more people, what their findings were, they could explain them better. Please then post their explanation here.

Although in the actual existing posted study it does explain what the likely mechanism of action of the drug is on OSA.
I don need to write no stinkin pharmaceutical salesmen to splain to me why I should ask my doctor if pot is right for me.

Seriously, think about it. You use CPAP for your OSA right? Does it work for you? If yes, how and why?

Is it because your CPAP machine interacts with serotonergic pathways or other neurotransmitters pertinent to sleep-wake behaviors? ... or because it "physically" stents your throat open?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 16, 2013 9:34 am

My guess is that with enough THC in your system, you don't really care.
(sounds a lot like de-Nile)

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 am

Oh, heck, YES I am for legalizing recreational marijuana. In fact, we just did that here in Colorado. I am not sure yet if the state legislature has ironed out the how's and why's, etc. of sales.

I have lived around alcoholics my whole life and, as a former, regular weed smoker, I am 100% convinced that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol. It is funny what we choose to make legal and illegal.

I don't see that smoking it would be the best way of using it medicinally, but as was already pointed out, there are now many, many ways of consuming it.

I consider it one of life's great ironies that recreational marijuana is now legal here, and I am no longer interested in using it!

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 am

Yes, medical marijuana CAN be good to help people GET TO SLEEP.

It relieves pain and pain keeps many people from sleeping.

Medical marijuana can be used in several forms. The most effective is in edible form.

It takes a lot longer to take affect but it last for several hours as opposed to vaporizing it which only lasts 1 - 3 hours, depending on circumstances. How much and how potent.

Smoking joints has largely gone out of favor. Smoking anything is not good.
However vaporizing ( very good method ) does NOT harm the lungs.
The herb is heated until the THC and CBD'S offgas as a vapor.
There is no combustion AT ALL --- NONE.

Using medical marijuana both helps with pain and relaxes your body. Both of which help people to get to sleep and stay asleep.

Been there ... done it ... do it every night ... going to keep on doing it

My Experience

Post by My Experience » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm

I have been using a CPAP for over 16 years. It has helped me a lot, but I usually still didn't feel rested. I also have PTSD and back problems. I decided to get my marijuana prescription. I can tell you that when I use a small amount of indica weed in a vaporizer before I go to bed, I wake up feeling great. I haven't felt this good in 30 years.