Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hades161

Re: Marijuana for Sleep Apnea

Post by hades161 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:47 pm

ameriken wrote:Let me start off by saying that pot should be legal...it is no worse than alcohol and perhaps is far less dangerous than alcohol. I think more people die because of it's illegality (drug wars) than would if it were legal.

Having said that...I've got scoliosis that gives me chronic and often severe backpain. It just kills my desire to do anything or go anywhere. The only med that ever worked consistently for me is methadone, which I started taking about 3 years ago. However, I believe my sleep apnea started after that and doctors think this may be the cause or aggravator of my sleep apnea.

I've been thinking quite a bit about pot, if pot can successfully control the pain, then I would get off the methadone which may end my bout with sleep apnea.
In my "research into pot" no not smoking it. I found an interesting thing out that I had not known prior to exploring the medical side of it. Back when I was young and it was party time. Pot was pot and some was better and some stuff was bunk.

Come to find out there are 2 different strains of Cannabis with different effects depending on the mixing or not mixing of the strains. One of the reasons when you see so many different varieties in those pot shops on News reports and Documentaries is that they have been bred for effect. One strain gives a more cerebral effect that I "guess" helps with depression and anxiety but doesn't turn you into a "couch potato". The other ones effect is to totally "Couch Potato" you. This strain is for pain management and sleep aid. The rest of the Hybrids are people mixing and matching in an effect to get a combination of these two effects. So if you do go to "explore" this option, and I feel weird for saying this, go to a Medical MJ shop, a big one with a lot of strains and stoners who have smoked them all and be specific about what your needs are. Don't just go buy some rag weed off a friend and think its all the same because it's simply not. The stuff you get in a good shop is mostly Hydroponically grown and not been treated with pesticides, cut with other herbs, or have been cured fast with chemicals to max out profit like street pot might have been.

I live in Wisconsin and so no "shops" but was planning a move with someone to Colorado so I started looking into it. The move fell through but I did a lot of researching into it. If they ever legalized it on a Federal level instead of just a State level, I would jump into growing it hydro style and opening up a shop myself. Until then its too risky to bother with imo.

I should note that there is a 3rd strain that is used for industry and it has NO EFFECTS at all but is still Illegal. Its used for Hemp rope, paper, making fuel, clothes, and a huge number of other products.

Last edited by hades161 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks hades, I just called a Medical MJ shop here in Colorado and they explained those different strains, which I think would be perfect if there were little or no effect. I don't mind a little buzz, but don't want to end up crashed out on the couch either. In addition, I don't want to smoke it because I am on the line with 'emphysematic changes' in my lungs and can't afford any more damage, so being able to eat it or get a vapor from it would be perfect.

The idea is so I can control my back pain and function normally with a good memory, rather than having to deal with this sleep apnea that is not fully under control.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:04 pm

I wish you luck in your exploration of treatment options

If you do add this to your health strategy please keep us updated.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

- Albert Camus

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Marijuana oil is excellent for arthritis. Rub it on your joints --- your thumb or knee or wrist etc. etc. and the pain is gone.

You don't get high but it stops the pain.

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

ameriken wrote:I've been thinking quite a bit about pot, if pot can successfully control the pain, then I would get off the methadone which may end my bout with sleep apnea.
Pot would definitely be better than an opiate, if it gets the job done.

I agree it should be legal. Being stoned all the time is a waste, but cannabis is both less addictive and less harmful than alcohol or tobacco, and we're wasting a huge amount of hours and money on something that really isn't that big a problem in itself.

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:12 pm

hades161 wrote:I should note that there is a 3rd strain that is used for industry and it has NO EFFECTS at all but is still Illegal. Its used for Hemp rope, paper, making fuel, clothes, and a huge number of other products.
Yeah, but hemp is a gateway fiber.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:12 pm

I haven smoked pot often in my life, but one particular incident really sticks out in my memory. I was with my soon to be first husband and his friend and friend's wife. My husband's friend had some pot and suggested we all smoke. Why not? It was only my 2nd or 3rd time. Well, it wasn't medical grade...who knows where it came from? After smoking it, I found that my arythmia (that I did not know I had at the time), became very, very bad and I could not breathe. Then, all the other folks around me, husband included, decided that they had just been influenced my me and by the power of suggestion, they could not breathe either. Sadly, I really could NOT breathe and no one took me seriously and I really should have gone to the hospital...4 crazy young people on a Saturday night!

So, no, I definitely would not trust marijuana to cure anyone's sleep apnea!

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

danjfoley

Post by danjfoley » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:31 pm

From my experience

- you smoked way to much.. for me the smallest amount you can imagine is fine.
- any type of smoke would have caused this for you.. after all smoke is harmful.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned vaporization. It removes the harmful effects of combustion, and thus you are no longer smoking.

danjfoley

Post by danjfoley » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:32 pm

I do believe it messes with sleep structure. I have no data to back it up, but I can see how it could. Your mind is a little out of it, not normal. To a degree depending on how much you had.

I really wish I had a zeo, i'd do a self study on this, and post real data to you all. Anyone want to donate a zeo mobile to me i'll do it!

hades161

Post by hades161 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm

danjfoley wrote:From my experience

I'm surprised no one has mentioned vaporization. It removes the harmful effects of combustion, and thus you are no longer smoking.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread as well as pills, butters, cookies, oils, tinctures, and teas. I also stated that Smoking it is NOT the preferred way to take Medical MJ due to the burning of plant fibers. It's just that its the most commonly perceived method.

Sir Winston Churchill

- Albert Camus

SockPuppet

Post by SockPuppet » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I will never use marijuana but I very much am in favor of legalizing marijuana (and a lot more) and ending this insane, destructive war on drugs.

danjfoley wrote:I do believe it messes with sleep structure. I have no data to back it up,
Here is some science,
Smoked marijuana and oral Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) reduce REM sleep. Moreover, acute administration of cannabis appears to facilitate falling asleep and to increase Stage 4 sleep. Difficulty sleeping and strange dreams are among the most consistently reported symptoms of acute and subacute cannabis withdrawal. Longer sleep onset latency, reduced slow wave sleep and a REM rebound can be observed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18313952
I don't think it is wise to reduce REM sleep.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Here's the Article as a whole.

The illicit recreational drugs cocaine, ecstasy and marijuana have pronounced effects upon sleep. Administration of cocaine increases wakefulness and suppresses REM sleep. Acute cocaine withdrawal is often associated with sleep disturbances and unpleasant dreams. Studies have revealed that polysomnographically assessed sleep parameters deteriorate even further during sustained abstinence, although patients report that sleep quality remains unchanged or improves. This deterioration of objective sleep measures is associated with a worsening in sleep-related cognitive performance. Like cocaine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; "ecstasy") is a substance with arousing properties. Heavy MDMA consumption is often associated with persistent sleep disturbances. Polysomnography (PSG) studies have demonstrated altered sleep architecture in abstinent heavy MDMA users. Smoked marijuana and oral Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) reduce REM sleep. Moreover, acute administration of cannabis appears to facilitate falling asleep and to increase Stage 4 sleep. Difficulty sleeping and strange dreams are among the most consistently reported symptoms of acute and subacute cannabis withdrawal. Longer sleep onset latency, reduced slow wave sleep and a REM rebound can be observed. Prospective studies are needed in order to verify whether sleep disturbances during cocaine and cannabis withdrawal predict treatment outcome.

This is a surface study of more then the effects of MJ on sleep, it also doesn't cover doses over a scale nor does it cover eating it or vaporizing it. Nor does it cover the different types or strains of MJ and the different effects there in. In Government testing they seem to like to distill MJ into just the pill and then study the effects of a chemically distilled product. They don't mention the type of "Smoked" MJ nor its properties. Nor does it show effects over time. There are to many variables to take this study as definitive across the board.

As I said earlier there need to be more in depth studies. And by people without a government, medical, or corporate bias.

Sir Winston Churchill

- Albert Camus

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:14 pm

danjfoley wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned vaporization. It removes the harmful effects of combustion, and thus you are no longer smoking.
ameriken wrote: In addition, I don't want to smoke it because I am on the line with 'emphysematic changes' in my lungs and can't afford any more damage, so being able to eat it or get a vapor from it would be perfect.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Otter wrote:Pot would definitely be better than an opiate, if it gets the job done.
I completely agree...if the opiate is triggering the centrals and hypoventilation, then by getting rid of the opiate I should be able to et rid of the apnea. However once the pain med is gone, my back, hip, and leg pain flares up and I am just as useless as I am with apnea. So by switching to pot, my theory i can get get rid of the pain and not have the opiate induced apnea. I spoke with someone today who mentioned something about a 'formula' or method of extraction where you don't get the effects of THC but do get the pain relieving affects. I don't want nor do I need to be stoned (maybe an occasional light buzz lol), just need to be pain and apnea free.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I think I'll stick with my eye drops (pot free).