SOPA Protest

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TalonNYC

Re: SOPA Protest

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 pm

What, it's the truth. The distributers of Avatar can have the site blocked because of copyright infringement.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Is this true??

Well, if it passes, someone send me a PM reminding me to change my avatar. That would make me sad, though, because I really like my avatar... Also, I personally have a tough time keeping track of the folks here who change their avatar frequently (and no offense, but the cat-avatar-people and the dog-avatar-people run together in my mind). I might forget who I am (even more than I already have...) <single tear slides down cheek>
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm

It's unlikely they would actually get the site blocked, because we're not really on their radar, but they COULD based on the language of the bill. ResMed and Philips could also shut down the site if someone posts links to clinician guides, etc.

I want a solid anti-piracy law, but this ain't it.

xyz

Post by xyz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 pm

johnnygoodman wrote:
> Is anyone else tracking SOPA and really worried?

Couldn't the official "moderator" of this forum have put an "OT" in front of his post?

What's he worried about? Is cpap.com is going to play a copyrighted Roy Orbison song while we browse their webpages? (e.g., Dream Baby, Dream, In Dreams)

To answer his question, yes I'm "really worried". I'm worried that the music industry as we've known it is going to be destroyed by people continuing to steal music off the internet.

Young people, for years now, have grown up with a sense of entitlement to steal all the music they want. That's a fact, not a rumor or belief. They hardly ever buy music. They steal it. From websites that make it available.

If you don't know many young people, and don't knonw what they're doing these days, you don't have an informed opinion. Or possibly you, also, believe in stealing content from the internet.

Say that for some reason cpap.com could not lock their doors when they go home at night. So some people came by and stole products from them. Would cpap.com have a problem with this?

Instead of just saying "no", say how you would halt the theft of music (etc) on the internet.

I'm not saying that this bill is perfect. It clearly needs further refinement. But the overall intent, to deter theft of peoples' work, is correct. Those who "just say no" are not part of the solution.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

xyz wrote:Young people, for years now, have grown up with a sense of entitlement to steal all the music they want. That's a fact, not a rumor or belief. They hardly ever buy music. They steal it. From websites that make it available.
I didn't know one could still steal music off the internet (since Napster shut down, anyway). Could you post a link to such an existing website?

If you don't know many young people, and don't knonw what they're doing these days, you don't have an informed opinion. Or possibly you, also, believe in stealing content from the internet.
Is this a trick question?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:49 pm

xyz wrote: Couldn't the official "moderator" of this forum have put an "OT" in front of his post?
We are all human... I'm not going to berate anyone for that. Lighten up.
Sure, blame the young folks. Don't blame them... blame those doing the offering.
I'm not saying that this bill is perfect. It clearly needs further refinement. But the overall intent, to deter theft of peoples' work, is correct. Those who "just say no" are not part of the solution.
Saying yes to a flawed solution may cause more trouble than exists now.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 pm

xyz wrote:johnnygoodman wrote:

What's he worried about? Is cpap.com is going to play a copyrighted Roy Orbison song while we browse their webpages?
While I agree it should be OT, SOPA and PIPA would allow ResMed and Phillips to have this site blocked because we openly share clinician information about their machines. So, unfortunately, if you're saying it's just about music piracy, you are part of the problem too.

The bill is too broadly worded, and will endanger our ability to exchange information about our therapy and devices. I will "just say no" until such time as our government creates a real anti-piracy bill that doesn't trample on the first Amendment.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

The law could also block all open source software, and negatve comments about products, companies, and politicians.
This is where freedom dies.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Actually, open source is safe. However, distributers of open source could get knocked offline if a corporation accuses them of using closed-source code.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 pm

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Stalling, but not dead, and there's still PIPA to worry about.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:05 pm

TalonNYC wrote:Stalling, but not dead, and there's still PIPA to worry about.
Nothing dies as long as some can profit from controlling the masses. Jim

I don't Pirate, I just download 1's and 0's, in a special order and recombine them to meet my needs.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Any news about what could shut down this site one day is as ON topic a post/thread as a post/thread could possibly be, in my opinion. Especially from the owner of the site.

As far as music, who needs to steal music anymore now that we have Grooveshark?

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 pm

There are two mass protests, one is all day tomorrow (Wikipedia, Google, my own sites, many others) - the other is Jan 24th, the day SOPA is up for a vote. Who's participating in the Jan 24 one is unconfirmed.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 pm

xyz wrote:johnnygoodman wrote:
> Is anyone else tracking SOPA and really worried?

Couldn't the official "moderator" of this forum have put an "OT" in front of his post?

What's he worried about? Is cpap.com is going to play a copyrighted Roy Orbison song while we browse their webpages? (e.g., Dream Baby, Dream, In Dreams)

To answer his question, yes I'm "really worried". I'm worried that the music industry as we've known it is going to be destroyed by people continuing to steal music off the internet.

Young people, for years now, have grown up with a sense of entitlement to steal all the music they want. That's a fact, not a rumor or belief. They hardly ever buy music. They steal it. From websites that make it available.

Say that for some reason cpap.com could not lock their doors when they go home at night. So some people came by and stole products from them. Would cpap.com have a problem with this?

Instead of just saying "no", say how you would halt the theft of music (etc) on the internet.

If SOPA or PIPA passes, it will not slow down music or video piracy one "bit." OK, maybe just a little. The pirates will figure out how to work around this stuff. They've always done so before.

You simply haven't been paying attention. Under SOPA or PIPA, a company can shut down another website with no proof whatsoever. If your web site gets shut down, it's up to you to prove your innocence. Guilty until proven innocent. No proof to any government agency is needed.

Big companies can use this to shut down websites they don't like and never have to prove a darn thing. For instance, if someone here mentioned that you can reprogram your own CPAP machine, even if they didn't provide any information about how, a company could claim that this site is promoting piracy of their copyrighted manuals.

The feds are already doing this to websites, many of which do NOT actually do any piracy.

Maybe the site could win in a court battle, but it would take time and money to do so.

If you were on some local restaurant review web site and complained that Sam and Ella's Restaurant's $11.95 RootemTootem burger was garbage, they could claim copyright infringement and shut down the web site.

Politicians could shut down sites if they quote things they said.

If someone here posted how to make Windows 7 run that Windows XP device driver you need despite the code Win7 has to lock it out, the site could be shut down, and criminal charges could even be filed.

The law is so poorly written, and the protections for the accused are so bad that a big company could shut down almost any small web site and would be unlikely to suffer any repercussions of doing so.

All with no due process. All with no recourse other than to sue.

This law is like saying that because some people are using drugs, the police should no longer have to have search warrants, and the accused should not have the right to a jury trial, and you no longer have to prove your case "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.