Slimline vs Standard Hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DoriC

Slimline vs Standard Hose

Post by DoriC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 am

Someone just gave me a new slimline hose. I know they're supposed to be rather fragile but is there any difference in therapy,etc. I know I'll have to change the setting to slimline on the machine (15cms). I now use the standard Performance White hose(22cms) on both the S9 and PS1,which has held up very well, it's lighter than the heavier grey original hose.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Kairosgrammy

Re: Slimline vs Standard Hose

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 am

I wouldn't think so. Heavens, I have so much to learn. I didn't know that hoses came in different sizes although my current hose with my current cpap is smaller than what I had with my original cpap. I just thought it was a change over time, that they were just getting slimmer. The pressure is much higher on my new cpap and I don't feel that the more slender hose creates a problem. You might want to check though before you use it with someone more qualified than I. If you don't want to call a doc, there is another forum (http://www.freecpapadvice.com/forum) that is run by a certified sleep study tech. He could probably tell you more than I can. Not that I want you to join another forum. If you'd like, I could ask?
DoriC wrote:Someone just gave me a new slimline hose. I know they're supposed to be rather fragile but is there any difference in therapy,etc. I know I'll have to change the setting to slimline on the machine (15cms). I now use the standard Performance White hose(22cms) on both the S9 and PS1,which has held up very well, it's lighter than the heavier grey original hose.

sol

Post by sol » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Therapy wise, it makes no difference just the slim line is lighter and more flexible than the standard hose but i prefer to use the climate line.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I called resmed a while back and there is no difference between the hoses. I rarely use my humidifier, but when I do, I still use the slimline with no issues.

Sheriff

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Dori. If your husband is an active sleeper, the slimline is more fragile, where it connects to the rubber ends. Just wrap a little tape around the connection, if you're concerned about that. My husband prefers the Respironics Performance hose, because it's sturdier, and not that much heaver. He doesn't mind the extra bit of weight.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Katie, good to see you! I guess you mean tape where the hose bends?

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I also have the slimline hose which is what my machine came with. When I was away from home several months ago it began to leak and I found several holes near the end of the larger rubber end. I got some duct tape from a local hardware store and was able to make a temporary repair until I got back home and replaced it. I have not had any other problems with it and I find that at least once a night I am sleeping on it. I usually find it doubled under me and so far it has not caused a problem. They seem like a very sturdy hose but then that is the only one I have used.

Before I had the holes appear in the hose, I used to stick my arm out the back door and twirl it in the air to force the excess water out of it after washing it in the sink. I think the centrifugal force did the damage so I quit doing the twirling thing which hopefully will extend the life of the hose.

pax
Roger

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 pm

DoriC wrote:Hi Katie, good to see you! I guess you mean tape where the hose bends?
Yes, I taped over where it connects to the rubber end and a few inches of the hose.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 pm

What kind of tape?
I like vetwrap, even though it has to be removed and replaced when the hose is washed--because it's stretchy.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:What kind of tape?
I like vetwrap, even though it has to be removed and replaced when the hose is washed--because it's stretchy.
I read about it here. Since I'm using the Climateline heated hose, this seemed like a good choice:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HE ... 00_details

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 am

Just ordered from Amazon, looks like it should do the trick, thanks. I'm trying to figure out what it is about me that can't leave well enough alone and always trys to find "something better" which doesn't always turn out that way! When I told Mike we were going to try another type hose and might have to tape the ends because it sometimes breaks, he looked at me and said "why are we changing hoses, I like the hose I use now?"

kempo

Post by kempo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 am

Dori, is there any reason why you're not using the climateline? It made a big difference for me but like others have said, if you use the slimline or the climateline, wrap the ends where the hose meets the cuffs with silicone tape.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

The Slimline is just a more flexible hose. But make sure you go into the setup and tell your machine you're using it or the pressure delivery to your mask will end up lower than it should be. When I got my ClimateLine (which I really like) I took the Slimline up North to the wife's place where I use it on my Intellipap. I told the Intellipap that it was the 10' hose which should compensate for the pressure drop caused by the skinnier diameter.

Enjoy (and give the Climateline a try sometime. You won't regret it.)

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 pm

kempo wrote:Dori, is there any reason why you're not using the climateline? It made a big difference for me but like others have said, if you use the slimline or the climateline, wrap the ends where the hose meets the cuffs with silicone tape.
I purchased the machine from a generous forum member without climateline or the slimline. It didn't matter because Mike has never used the HH except in passover mode. Even trying the HH level at 1 annoyed him. Thankfully, he doesn't have any nasal, sinus or allergy problems and likes the cool air.

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:40 am

When I got my new machine last year they gave me a slimline hose; I asked whether I could use the regular hoses with it, since I had several extras from my old machine, and the DME rep said yes. So a couple of months later I was on a trip and the hose tore where it connected to the rubber. I didn't have any of my backup hoses with me, but since this was near the end of the trip I just slept without my CPAP for two days until I got home and could use one of my regular hoses. (I now pack a spare hose, which should insure that I'll never have a hose break on me again, just like carrying an umbrella prevents it from raining.) When I ordered a replacement hose, they sent me a regular instead of a slimline, and when I called them to point this out they sent me a slimline but said I could just keep the regular one - it wasn't worth the cost of having it shipped back. So now I have several regular hoses that I'll probably never use, along with the backup slimline that I just got last week.