SleepyHead Tutorial Under Underconstruction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snoozysue

Re: SleepyHead Tutorial Under Underconstruction

Post by snoozysue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks Pugsy for offering to help us understand the data.
My first question:
What does the "snore" data relate to - is it snores per hour? Is the max for the total night or the most snores in a one hour period?

I also understood your reply earlier today about the difference between leaks and total leaks - but how does the software "know" what mask I am using - will it change the way it calcutaes if I change masks?

I would also like to know what is considered normal or acceptable - especially for things like flow limitations, snore and RERA.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:36 am

snoozysue wrote:Thanks Pugsy for offering to help us understand the data.
My first question:
What does the "snore" data relate to - is it snores per hour? Is the max for the total night or the most snores in a one hour period?

I also understood your reply earlier today about the difference between leaks and total leaks - but how does the software "know" what mask I am using - will it change the way it calcutaes if I change masks?

I would also like to know what is considered normal or acceptable - especially for things like flow limitations, snore and RERA.
Snore Index is the average number of snores per hour...this is the number shown in color above the pie chart. So the total snores for the night divided by the hours of sleep..average index.

The PR S1 machine does NOT have any way to know which mask you use. ResMed machines do have a mask selection.
So it will change its calculations when you change masks because it seems to use a "baseline" as a starting point (when hopefully no leaks are present). So the baseline will vary. It is not a perfect absolute number. It is a good WAG though and a decent starting point.

Flow limitations, snores and RERA numbers I have not been able to find out what is "normal" or acceptable. Perhaps Robysue may have some idea from her readings. A few scattered here and there aren't enough to worry about. There is a much more lenient number of these that don't cause alarm though. It's not like the AHI thing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 am

Under the events tab, what does pressure pulse mean?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 am

Starlette wrote:Under the events tab, what does pressure pulse mean?
Pressure pulses are little test probes of puffs of air used by the PR S1 machines to help the machine tell if an event in question is obstructive in nature or open airway in nature (clear airway or central).

Resmed uses something called FOT to determine same thing but I guess it is not flagged in same manner so we don't see it on the reports.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

b360155

Post by b360155 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Good work Pugsy! However, you need a "Z' item. How about Zombie?

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:55 am

Good morning.

As I was looking over the data this morning, I noticed this at the bottom:

Pressure Relief: C-Flex x1
Humidifier Setting: x4

Humidifier setting is correct. However, Pressure Relief should be set at x2. *shrugs*
I went back to my cpap to make sure I hadn't changed the setting in my sleep, x2 is correct.
Bug? *shrugs again*

Starlette

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:08 am

Starlette wrote:Pressure Relief: C-Flex x1
Humidifier Setting: x4

Humidifier setting is correct. However, Pressure Relief should be set at x2. *shrugs*
I went back to my cpap to make sure I hadn't changed the setting in my sleep, x2 is correct.
I am thinking that the X1 means that CFlex is on and not necessarily the setting.

I just checked past reports...APAP with AFlex at 2....shows X1...
BiPap with BiFlex at 2...shows X1

Seems like I remember Jedimark saying that this was an on/off thing but I can't swear to it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 am

Some general leak information that pertains to Resmed machines.

ResMed machines subtract the intentional leak/vent rate for your mask and your pressure before reporting the leak...so what you see reported is excess leak and thus unwanted.
ResMed says that they can adequately compensate for leaks up to 24 L/min... so technically anything below the 24 L/min line is "acceptable". Of course we try to keep it as low as possible.
I usually advise people to look at the leak line itself and not fixate on a "number" because the "number" can appear to be misleading if a large leak occurred or someone took the mask off and didn't turn the machine off.
If leaks are waking you up...even if the leak number is very close to 0.0...you will want to fix it the best you can because anything that wakes you up...you don't want.

For new people leaks can fluctuate wildly till you get things settled down. Even if you have a few short lived spikes above the 24 L/min line it isn't the end of the world. Look at the leak line itself..if only a few minutes at large leak..it won't impact therapy that much.

A few lucky people often see leak...0.0 L/min...while nice to see for some of us it is not a realistic goal.
If you are seeing a leak number around 15 L/min and the leaks aren't waking you up...you are fine. With time you will figure out how to maybe make it a little better. Leaks are something we always have to deal with. It is a war we never win...we just sometimes win a small battle for the night.

Here is an example of a night I had using a ResMed machine. This is a SleepyHead report and not ResScan but you can see what I mean. I had one episode of leak above the 24 L/min line. Nasal pillow probably came out. Didn't wake me up. The amount of time above the 24 L/min line is a little more that I would like to see but if you look at the rest of the night minimal leak. For this night..I shrug my shoulders and go on. If I was going to go on the "numbers" I would pay more attention to the average than I would the % number.

Last edited by Pugsy on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Thanks Pugsy.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:40 am

Pugsy wrote:Partial Glossary...I need to add some stuff...also if we or going to have Devilbiss..I am going to need their terminology and definitions.

ASV
Automatic Servo-Ventilation. Pertains to a low-pressure, electrically driven ventilator system with electronic pressure control. The device’s pressure controls are adjusted to deliver pressure support for patient ventilatory assistance. The device augments patient breathing by supplying pressurized air through a patient circuit. It senses the patient’s breathing effort by monitoring airflow in the patient circuit and adjusts its output to assist in inhalation and exhalation.
ASV is ADAPTIVE Servo-Ventilation, not automatic

When I get the time, I can take a little look and make some suggestions about what needs to be added in support of the Devilbiss machines.

Great work you are doing with all this documentation

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 am

Burkebang wrote: ASV is ADAPTIVE Servo-Ventilation, not automatic
Automatic was the word in the Encore Pro Glossary where I copied the definitions. It wasn't my chosen word. I just copied what was in the Encore Pro Glossary in mass and pasted. I didn't read all of the definitions. Automatic was Encore Pro (Respironics) word choice.

I will try to remember to make the change in the SLeepyHead Glossary to include Adaptive instead of Automatic next time I am in the SleepyHead Wiki. I did spot one other error that Respironics made in their definitions and fixed it. This one I missed.

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:13 am

I am new to CPAP and to my brand new shiny S9. I have 2 nights of data for SleepyHead.
My question is about the scale for the graphs. My mask pressure scale for the first night is 0 to 15. My pressure is 13/7, so this range is appropriate and includes everything. For the second day, the range is 0 to 10 and does not show the top pressure. I didn't change this intentionally. Can I change it back? Can the scales be set by the user?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am

DrPepper00 wrote:My question is about the scale for the graphs. My mask pressure scale for the first night is 0 to 15. My pressure is 13/7, so this range is appropriate and includes everything. For the second day, the range is 0 to 10 and does not show the top pressure. I didn't change this intentionally. Can I change it back? Can the scales be set by the user?
Graph changes can be made by the person. Go to File the Preferences. Automatic changes to the numbers that you see from last night will happen if the upper end is not needed. Same thing happens with leak scale numbers. If my max leak last night was 50...then it goes to 50 and the night before it might have gone only to 40 so 40 would be the max scale number. When I used APAP I sometimes needed 18 cm and SH will show 18...but on nights where I only needed to max of 14...it showed only to 14...even though my settings were 10 min and 20 max.

Are you saying that your pressure graph showed 10 max but that your pressure needs last night exceeded the 10 and your pressure line is off the graph? This would be highly unusual and likely a bug in the software.

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 am

Are you saying that your pressure graph showed 10 max but that your pressure needs last night exceeded the 10 and your pressure line is off the graph? This would be highly unusual and likely a bug in the software.

Yes, the pressure went up to 13. The top of the line is off the chart. I looked at the scale in the setup and it is still at 0/0. I am trying to take a screen shot according to your instructions. Unfortunately my computer has some missing and corrupted files and doesn't always do what it is supposed to.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:56 am

DrPepper00 wrote:Yes, the pressure went up to 13. The top of the line is off the chart. I looked at the scale in the setup and it is still at 0/0. I am trying to take a screen shot according to your instructions. Unfortunately my computer has some missing and corrupted files and doesn't always do what it is supposed to.
Then we have a problem because this is not a normal behavior. Scale should automatically adjust to show max reached
Can you look at any other nights to see if the problem is repeated or if this is a single fluke occurrence?

Might want to post the problem over in Marks new thread..he reads that before he might read this.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72509&start=45