SleepyHead Tutorial Under Underconstruction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lizistired

Re: SleepyHead Tutorial Under Underconstruction

Post by Lizistired » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Yes, I turned off both the ignore and combine. As I understand it, the combine would be helpful if you slept through the noon hour and the ignore would ignore short power on blips like during a power outage, which I would want to see, or if aliens are turning my machine off and on.
Any idea what the DST setting in the profile does? I turned it off too.

This is from my old data, so you can see what I mean about sessions inside of sessions.
37572680ResMed CPAP 4h, 10m, 0s 5/20/2012 22:58 03:08
1337572712ResMed CPAP 0h, 4m, 12s 5/20/2012 22:58 23:02
1337573045ResMed CPAP 4h, 3m, 12s 5/20/2012 23:04 03:07
1337587860ResMed CPAP 3h, 15m, 0s 5/21/2012 03:11 06:26
1337587873ResMed CPAP 3h, 13m, 43s 5/21/2012 03:12 06:25
Sleep Stage Sessions
1337572800ZEO Sleep Stage 10h, 23m, 0s 5/20/2012 23:00 09:23

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:27 am

DST box...doesn't seem to do anything.
That was the first thing I played with back when DST changed caused the double sessions in SH.
We would need to check with Mark to see what the deal is with DST box. My times don't change with it checked or not.
At least with ResMed reports.
Haven't really had any need to look at Respironics reports since I started using the VPAP prior to the DST change.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:45 am

A word about leak numbers as reported by SleepyHead...specifically the 95% number.
Need to evaluate it by either looking at the leak graph line itself and/or confirming with ResScan.
There seems to be a known bug with the calculations of the 95% number and it could cause panic or undue stress.
It is sometimes (not all the time) hugely elevated when it shouldn't be.
Mark knows about this issue and is working on fixing it.

Last night example from my report.
ResScan 95% number is 8.4 L/min
SleepyHead 95% number is way higher...at 20.4 L/min which sounds scary but when you look at the report itself it is obvious that the period of time with the larger leak was relatively short and didn't hit the 24 L/min line anyway.
My known witching hour...right at about 2 hours into sleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 am

Does that have to do with the "unintentional leak" setting?

On the DST setting... am I right that PRS1 users can't change the time? It occurred to me after I posted that maybe they need it to be on. It doesn't have a hover clue.
Pugsy wrote:DST box...doesn't seem to do anything.
That was the first thing I played with back when DST changed caused the double sessions in SH.
We would need to check with Mark to see what the deal is with DST box. My times don't change with it checked or not.
At least with ResMed reports.
Haven't really had any need to look at Respironics reports since I started using the VPAP prior to the DST change.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 am

Lizistired wrote:On the DST setting... am I right that PRS1 users can't change the time? It occurred to me after I posted that maybe they need it to be on. It doesn't have a hover clue.
Respironics machines don't have a clock we can set. When looking at the Respironics reports in SH and with toggling back and forth with DST box....I couldn't see any change in the times on the reports and that is why I don't think that the DST box in SH is doing anything. Doesn't seem to change anything with either machine reporting.
Lizistired wrote:Does that have to do with the "unintentional leak" setting?
This really pertains to Respironics machine users and it is not a fully functioning feature yet. In prior SH versions this would let us see the different reports but Mark had some trouble with the generic vent value for APAP varying pressures that needs to be subtracted prior to the reporting of unintentional leaks so it is not functioning at present time in the Beta SH version.
Respironics machine use a very generic vent rate calculation because it doesn't have a clue what type of mask is being used. We know they use something or Encore Pro and Basic would not offer unintentional leak value setting option.
That Resistance Setting feature does NOT affect the leak reporting numbers at all (unlike the ResMed mask selection feature). So for now the setting for intentional or unintentional leak reporting value is a non functioning selection in SH. It did work in prior versions but not to Mark's satisfaction.

To everyone:
SleepyHead has one guy trying to sort out all the bugs and it is still in its infancy. The bugs are just part of dealing with infant (Beta) software. There is a lot of work to do and to have something that works with multiple brands of machine just confounds all the issues. So while I mention the problems with some things working and some things not working and some things not working correctly....I accept it as part of what we deal with when we use new software. I have both Respironics and ResMed brand machines so I also use Encore and ResScan to compare the results I see. Differences that I have seen are very, very minor with the exception of the 95% leak number.
Anytime anything new is tried there has to be guinea pigs and we are the guinea pigs.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am

I wonder if PRS1 users turn the DST on when they go on DST and off when they switch back... if it would adjust the time 1 hour. I don't know, just a wild guess. Not a big deal either way.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 am

Lizistired wrote:I wonder if PRS1 users turn the DST on when they go on DST and off when they switch back... if it would adjust the time 1 hour. I don't know, just a wild guess. Not a big deal either way.
No, not a big deal but when I was using the Respironics machines and using SH...turning DST on or off in SH just made zero difference in the times I saw being reported.
I just now tried it with my BiPap report from the other night. Checked or unchecked...it does nothing to the times.
Same thing last fall when I was using PR S1 and the change occurred. Seems like the computer clock overrides SH.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:58 pm

DST switch in profile doesn't actually do anything apart from store the preference.

SleepyHead is designed to use the system date/time set by the operating system. Internally it stores data in universal time (UTC), and Qt date/time libraries handle all the conversions. There may be a glitch in these libraries causing grief under certain circumstances.

Some of the DST bugs where things were exactly an hour out more affected S9 users, due to the very buggy nature of the EDF summary data (stored in STR.edf). Processing the faulty summary data has been dropped to avoid these issues (which create double ups)

Just wish I could get my brain back in gear and release a new build.. my brains have been absolute jelly lately.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Mark, good to hear from you! Hope you'll be feeling better soon. You have lots of admirers here who just love your SleepyHead software, including me. Once the glitches are worked out it will be pure perfection!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

-tim

Post by -tim » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 am

jedimark wrote:DST switch in profile doesn't actually do anything apart from store the preference.

SleepyHead is designed to use the system date/time set by the operating system. Internally it stores data in universal time (UTC), and Qt date/time libraries handle all the conversions. There may be a glitch in these libraries causing grief under certain circumstances.

Some of the DST bugs where things were exactly an hour out more affected S9 users, due to the very buggy nature of the EDF summary data (stored in STR.edf). Processing the faulty summary data has been dropped to avoid these issues (which create double ups)

Just wish I could get my brain back in gear and release a new build.. my brains have been absolute jelly lately.
I'll throw a bit more info into this.

The Qt Libraries come from a Unix history that has a system clock that runs at UTC/GMT/Zulu or what you want to call normal time in London. Each program gets an idea of the local time zone and looks up in a file to adjust that to the correct local time if needed. The system has been working great since the late 1970s. DOS comes along for computers that don't have built in clocks and Dos used to ask you to enter the time and date when you turned on a PC. When those systems started getting real time clock chips, they used local time which of course changes twice a year for most people in the world.

When Qt was ported to deal with systems that didn't know what the real time was, it tried to outsmart the system by making the adjustments back to UTC assuming the local clock was in fact adjusted for DST. Some of the early hardware clocks were smart enough to adjust to DST automatically but weren't smart enough to cope with elected officials changing when that happened so sporting shows would appear at a better TV slot half way around the world. Some of those systems also figured spring forward and Spring is in the early part of the year... except for the parts of the world south of the equator. It is not uncommon to have a real time clock chip adjust the time by an hour at the wrong time and something else to have to adjust it by two hours to shift it back. When you put all that logic into a program library, there will be mistakes.

Now keep in mind that the clock inside the CPAP could be doing the same things depending on the vendor or the vendor of the clock chip or the version of software.

Unix systems and OSX and some Linux use a hardware clock that isn't anything more than the number of seconds since 00:00:00 Jan 1, 1970 GMT. Look up the local time zone and display the local time. Except in the last month leap seconds screwed up some linux systems that had been updated to do things the "dos way" and didn't like real clocks telling them that it was in fact 23:59:60 and crashed. Opps. I wonder if they have been fixed to deal with 23:59:61 which has happened before and will happen again. Its why a majority^ of GPS time is nearly 14 seconds ahead of GMT and 19 seconds away from TAI time.

To make it even more fun, the data in some cpap data (as in the S9) is called a stardate. They go so far as to make fun of their time stamps and get them wrong.

I can see why jedimark's brain is jelly.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Tim,
That's interesting. What is TAI time?
I know the S9 (or ResScan) tries to do something, because it inserted 1 hour in my first spring forward data, when I had changed the machine time the day before the change. I just don't change it until after now and haven't had a problem.
As far as the duplicates issue, we'll just have to remember to erase the card and the S9 when we change time.
-tim wrote: ... elected officials changing when that happened so sporting shows would appear at a better TV slot half way around the world. ..
...and consumers would stay out spending money later.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 am

Duplicate sleep session... Not DST.
I downloaded yesterday morning and this morning. I noticed this morning that the summary for sunday night showed 12 hours. I wish!
I checked and there was another identical session time frame.
Seems strange that it only did it for that one day.

pats

Post by pats » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 am

-tim wrote:The Qt Libraries come from a Unix history that has a system clock that runs at UTC/GMT/Zulu or what you want to call normal time in London.
The normal time for London is itself affected by a summer time shift, with different dates for the changes from those used in the USA. UTC is what the time would be without that complication.