Great experience with chin strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaveL

Great experience with chin strap

Post by DaveL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:51 pm

I ordered a PapCap, telling the vendor the size of cap I wear.
They sent it out. I had issues, and contacted them again. It would slip down over my eyes...not comfortable at all...

They provided helpful instructions telling me how to use it better; I tried, but that didn't solve my problem. They had also offered to send out a smaller PapCap. When I contacted them again, they rushed it to me.

The smaller PapCap is incredible. The customer service was the best. I'm sleeping better, and the PapCap is now solving my mouth breathing problem.

Lesson for me...ask for help when having problems. And check this forum for solutions, and recommendations for vendors.

Previous trials with my DME for assorted chin straps were stressful. They simply didn't understand cpap use and mouthbreathing.

I'm a happy customer with my PapCap, and will buy a PapCap again when I need to .

Thanks!

Dave L
Toronto

Regards,
DaveL Toronto

cindjo717

Re: Great experience with chin strap

Post by cindjo717 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 pm

I have been wondering: I am a mouth breather and use a full face mask; if a chin strap would help me in any way. I do swallow some air, I can tell because I have some bloating and gas issues since starting c pap.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm

I'll second your post on great customer service from PapCap. It stopped my dropping chin, but not leaking lips. Earl

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Thank you for sharing that! I have been considering ordering a Papcap for some time now. I keep deciding to do so, and then do not. So I think I will in fact go ahead and do so!

Jill

harry33

Post by harry33 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm

everyone mouthbreathes at first, taping the lips is the only sure way to stop it, eventually most adjust to nose breathing, which is best as the nostrils humidify the air
for example when the power stopped recently, I eventually woke up due to the extra effort of nose breathing, despite having a nose only mask, I didnt breathe thru my mouth
at best a chin strap can only remind you to keep lips sealed, cant stop you parting lips to mouth breathe if you really want to
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 pm

cindjo717 wrote:I have been wondering: I am a mouth breather and use a full face mask; if a chin strap would help me in any way. I do swallow some air, I can tell because I have some bloating and gas issues since starting c pap.
I tried a full face mask first. Didn't work for me. And I'm having trouble with my DME who have an agent/rep with no knowledge of cpap. Except she knows how to fit masks. Painfully,and roughly.

I did some reading here and went back to a nasal mask, thinking that I don't mouth breath often. And a chin strap. And my troubles started. The first chin strap (cheapest) wouldn't stay in place. Did no good at all. Took some talking/escalation on my part. I got the next better one. It didn't slip so badly, but didn't work any better either.

I tried taping. Don't really like that; it works. Cheaper...

I did searches in several areas--here, youtube and general internet searches and found out about the papcap. Ordered one. The first one didn't work for me. After emails as described here, I was helped and got a size smaller. It really works well. (One extreme to the other. Large one doesn't work...one size smaller is a delight!)

Main reason I posted was to encourage people to stay at it until details are solved.

I've also seen video of the "ultimate chinstrap" and I was prepared to order one, until the new papcap worked so well for me.

Hope this helps. I've been doing cpap for a long time; I have a lot to learn.

Best
DaveL
Toronto

Regards,
DaveL Toronto

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Along the way I was so frustrated I almost tried a soother....I haven't yet, but wonder why not with some of the strange things I've had to do to accomodate cpap.

Regards,
DaveL Toronto